Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Playing and Technique

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Bill Doggett - "Honky Tonk Part 1"

Billy Butler's guitar solo is awesome on this. How'd he get the the trem picking to sound like so smooth that???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJRBi...eature=related
Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Supporting Member

You know - I don't know how Butler did that! I play this tune, and more often than not, I botch up the tremolo picking. Evidently, a lot of people did. Listen to the various covers of this song, and a lot of them forego the tremolo picking, altogether. I thought that when I switched to a hollowbody with big wire (.12 or .13 for the high E) that it would get easier, due to the stiffness of the strings, but I was wrong. I once referenced this tune during a guitar lesson with mandolin great Don Stiernberg - since mandolin players do so much tremolo picking, I thought he'd have some insight. His advice? Do not change your pick position for the trem part. That is - keep your relaxed grip on the pick, and don't change the angle or anything for the fast picking. It's a finesse thing, evidently, and in the wrist - and Billy butler was a master, so remember that you're comparing yourself to one of the best.

I guess the only thing I might add is to try adding tremolo picking to other songs, in various places. Make it a part of your playing, instead of only when you play "Honky Tonk." Even Billy Butler has a (very) brief hiccup on that part - listen for it - but the guy is one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited by Rob 62; 11-01-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Classic!

Tomo
Please watch my YouTube Channel: lesson videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomoFujitaMusic
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Supporting Member

I play it in F... I learned from watching Sean Costello do it... if you haven't checked it out do it! it's great
Old 11-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Love it. [I bought the 45 w/ pop bottle return money as a kid].
My Mom had a hard felt pick/plectrum way back when.
Maybe he was using one of those for the trem picking?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Danny Gatton used to play the shiz outta this one.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I love this tune. It's nearly always the first thing I play when I pick up a guitar. And in F. I once asked Phillip Walker why he didn't play it in the key of E, when it would be easier on him (the bandleader). He told me simply, "I don't do it that way. It's in F." Good enough for me!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 PM

Absolutely love Bill Doggett's music. So much soul, such groove:

Peacock Alley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrT6rVwh8g

Slow Walk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhwU...eature=related

When You Lover Has Gone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioe45ayPtcU

When I got into Gatton I heard some snippets of Doggett arrangements on a few tunes- I knew exactly where he got em from. Of course he wasn't ripping off Doggett, he was truly paying homage, and in doing so turned a lot of folks onto some music they might never hear otherwise.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Supporting Member

I play it in F. Never occurs to me to play it in E - maybe I'm too much of a copy-cat, but then this is a tune that's worth learning note-for-note!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM

How do you guys play tremolo picking - as fast as possible or in time with the beat?

It sounds to me like Billy Butler played it in time, doubling up the triplets, so he was playing 6 strokes per beat, or 24 strokes per bar. Seems to sound better that way?

Also, how do you guys play the notes for that trem picking part? My interpretation (in F) is:

E--8---13---8--13--8--13--8--13----8-----5
B--10--15--10--15--9--15--9--15---10--6--6
G---------------------------------------7--

...if you see what I mean.
Geoff
Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Supporting Member

Check this out, at the 4:00 mark, Doggett himself schools Eddie McFadden on Billy Butler's part . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1dIHXr4eKE

Geoff: Yeah, I see what you mean, call that the first part of the tremolo picking (beginning with the minor third) - the second part launches off of a major third. As far as the time - I try to maintain the triplet feel, while playing what, for me, is fast. My problem is either I stiffen, and blow the swing feel, or I have a drop in volume/projection. Again - I'm trying to add the tremolo picking to my playing, generally, and not save it up for "Honky Tonk." BTW - one of the only people I've seen play the whole thing RIGHT is Denny Freeman, on a video with Taj Mahal, and his right hand didn't even appear to be moving so fast - but he nailed it.

Last edited by Rob 62; 11-07-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added material
Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...I'm curious, how many people actually play it in the key of F as it was done originally instead of the easier key of E (relatively speaking)?
F for god's sake! where i come from other guitarists would boo and hiss you if you played it in any other key, tell you "wimp, play it like a man!" i'm serious
Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 62 View Post
You know - I don't know how Butler did that! I play this tune, and more often than not, I botch up the tremolo picking. Evidently, a lot of people did. Listen to the various covers of this song, and a lot of them forego the tremolo picking, altogether. I thought that when I switched to a hollowbody with big wire (.12 or .13 for the high E) that it would get easier, due to the stiffness of the strings, but I was wrong. I once referenced this tune during a guitar lesson with mandolin great Don Stiernberg - since mandolin players do so much tremolo picking, I thought he'd have some insight. His advice? Do not change your pick position for the trem part. That is - keep your relaxed grip on the pick, and don't change the angle or anything for the fast picking. It's a finesse thing, evidently, and in the wrist - and Billy butler was a master, so remember that you're comparing yourself to one of the best.

I guess the only thing I might add is to try adding tremolo picking to other songs, in various places. Make it a part of your playing, instead of only when you play "Honky Tonk." Even Billy Butler has a (very) brief hiccup on that part - listen for it - but the guy is one of my all-time favorites.

true ... my childhood teacher and longtime friend, Lou Pallo (of the Les Paul Trio for the past 27 yrs. or so) has incredible right hand strumming technique (he is a rhythm maestro) and his tremolo picking is perfect... I think guys like Lou and Butler back in that era had more technique in this area because they had fewer effects to play with ... this was one of the "effects" and there was more reason than today to do it and master it.

YMMV ...
good deals with rowdyyates, parkerbro, rockstarzusa, Jon Silberman, vic tynes, ra228, johnnyguitar, tubejay, Michael Dukes, moods, musickbox, ant_riv, KOTR, jtvb, Vegas Bob, Mark Kane,Bballplayer2214, mcdyas, pa'ani, 50MkII, Thorazine Dream, Tazboy, Bman20, samm57 (& others)...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM

right on, all it takes is a lot of practice
Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 PM

There's a nice Billy Butler recording on eMusic.