Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

VVT Lindy Fralin users

This amp's just had a rave review in a UK mag. I've never heard of it before and the threads on GP are quite old so I was wondering what people think of them these days.
I have a drip-edge Pro Reverb which I love but it can be unreliable so could anyone compare the two? thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM

...First off...I work with the boys at VVT as a demo/guitar test monkey, and tone consultant. Having said that...The Lindy Fralin is a great "F" style amp. It is a good stand alone combo, or a head. We had a Nashville studio player in the booth at the NAE that was freaked out by the cleans and the reverb. He was playing through a head that was made for one of the guys in Brooks and Dunn. That amp has been on tour for a while now...
Lindy is a very hard guy to sell an amp to. I tried over the years to fix him up with any number of vintage amps...Nothing ever seemed to be totally right. Jim and Tony at VVT approached Lindy and after a number of prototypes, the result is the "LF". Great guys, great amp...
Bill
P.S. The Pro Reverb is my favorite Fender stage/club combo. Some are great others...just ok. The LF will be better than the the best PR for cleans and when cranked...Its no contest...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Gary Thomas of The Road Ducks turned me onto VVT Amps several years ago.

My Oh My what a wonderful sound he was getting from his early VVT Twin.

I've since told several players over in the U.K that the VVT Lindy Fralin
is a much better choice in a NEW amp than any of the import PCB Fender Re-issues.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Great amps.

Don't know if they borrowed anything from the LF amp for the X-40, but the cleans (and OD) are stellar. It also breaks up very nicely as the volume goes up. I think I remember Jim saying there was something in common with the Fralin amp....

The OD stage is HRM and really sweet sounding as well. You can set it up so it cleans up very nicely with just guitar vol and pick attack....or you can set up the clean stage so it breaks up very nicely with just guitar vol and pick attack.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:53 PM

So can the X-40 get those Fender type sparkley cleans? 'cause though I like the D sounds they seem to be more middy and smooth.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftman View Post
So can the X-40 get those Fender type sparkley cleans? 'cause though I like the D sounds they seem to be more middy and smooth.
Yes....that's what makes it a bit different than many other D types. It retains a Fender sparkle and depending on how you set it up it also can retain that quality on the OD stage. Very cool amps. The VVT guys have the Fender sparkle dialed in....
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I have no doubt that the cleans on the LF are great.

But what about the break up? Is it a "ratty" breakup or is it a "smooth" breakup?
good dealings: guitarsenal, Just1more, funkystudiocat, rh, boxr_fan, Barney Fife, timmers, lgehrig4, Charmless, guitarman_1, Rythm-changes, cancelthesound, taddertot, Mad John, gameover98, ricoh, snoggin, Bmused, Primakurtz, lang.murphy, psychodave, and many others
current gear faves: s/s/h Suhr Standard, '75 Les Paul Custom, with a couple o' pedals into a dual VVT amp setup: X-40 and Lindy Fralin heads into a 2x12 cab
Old 12-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
I have no doubt that the cleans on the LF are great.

But what about the break up? Is it a "ratty" breakup or is it a "smooth" breakup?
On the X-40, using no gain stage and with the dual 6L6's and same LF output tranny, the breakup is smooth, more so than a BF Fender as a point of reference.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Gold Supporting Member

Good to know, thanks. Fuels my GAS for the LF model!
good dealings: guitarsenal, Just1more, funkystudiocat, rh, boxr_fan, Barney Fife, timmers, lgehrig4, Charmless, guitarman_1, Rythm-changes, cancelthesound, taddertot, Mad John, gameover98, ricoh, snoggin, Bmused, Primakurtz, lang.murphy, psychodave, and many others
current gear faves: s/s/h Suhr Standard, '75 Les Paul Custom, with a couple o' pedals into a dual VVT amp setup: X-40 and Lindy Fralin heads into a 2x12 cab
Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Supporting Member

One of my top 2 amps in Nashville this summer. Up there with the Cowtipper, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Cats View Post
Let them eat Crate.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 AM

I've got a Lindy Fralin combo but I ordered it with 2 10 inch speakers instead of the 15 inch it is designed with.
I love the amp, so much so that I wish I would have gotten the 15 inch because it was designed that way, not sure if I'm missing out on something more.
I keep meaning to see if I can order a 15 inch baffle from them as well as the dedicated 15 inch speaker, which I believe is a special design Eminence.
The cleans are truly wonderful, but I don't find there's a huge amount of clean headroom in the amp. Not like a Super Reverb etc, it starts to get gritty fairly quickly IMO, in a great way however.
I find it similar to a brown Fender Super with exceptional reverb if I was going to try and pigeonhole a label for the tone. But that being said, it definitely has it's own unique thing going on. Likely due to being cathode biased.
I believe this amp is heads and tails way far ahead of anything Fender is currently producing at the moment, it has that 3D thing Fender seems to have lost after the SF years, and doesn't have that harsh sounding high end new Fenders all seem to have to my ears, maybe that's just the new Fender designed speakers, I don't know.
Nice size and weight, great gigging combo.
You can also drop in 6V6's (JJ's recommended as the one's that can take the voltage safely) for a quicker breakup and greasier sound. They work great but I find the higher you turn up, the distortion isn't as smooth as 6L6's. It get's a little spikey to my ears.
Reverb is incredibly lush as well, rivaling any Fender I've owned for sure.
I used it quite a bit on our new album as well as gigging it a lot, and I have a handful of other pretty great amps it's competing with.
Big thumbs up from me for sure!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Gold Supporting Member

voxworld, how would you describe the breakup? Also, you mention not much clean headroom, what guitar/pickups are you using?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 PM

...I stopped by the VVT shop last week and played through a Fralin that was leaving for the UK. It was...Spectacular sounding! Beautiful cleans with reverb. I got lost switching between the pickups on my strat...They had to turn the lights out to get me to go home...
Bill
Old 12-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaji View Post
I stopped by the VVT shop last week and played through a Fralin that was leaving for the UK. It was...Spectacular sounding! Beautiful cleans with reverb.
Tony should have one coming to PA very soon, too!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Got an X-40 combo (w/ Cel 1265) about 10 days ago. Can't stop playing it. Just an amazing, capable amp, clean and lead!!

jon