Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ibanez Super 58 HB pickups

I have gone more than a decade in a state of acceptance that I have fallen out of grace with HB pickups. In my younger days of full time, then half time gigging, I always had guitars with HBs, but never really was happy with the muddy tone I seemed to get. I bought a new PRS in '86 and mostly used the sweet switch to get that out of phase/coil tapped tone. I had a '72 ES335 with a coil tap switch added on the neck pickup. Even in recent years I have installed Lollar Imperials and, while gret pickups, still not to my liking. Though I never had a single coil guitar, I can see in retrospect how I was trying my best to get close to that sound with my HBs.

Some years ago I made an almost complete switch to P90s, teles, and those wonderful Lollar mini HBs. I gave up my hunt for a "good" full size HB. The title of the thread suggests I might have found the HB I have been looking for. I came across a mint AS200 and the Super 58s in it are like no HB I have ever played. They are super articulate and like a cross between a P90 and an HB. None of that "sound muddy" kind of thing I just could not get away from with so many other full HBs. This Super 58s may convert me to accepting there is, after all these years, an HB out there for me. Oh, the AS200 is quite the sweet guitar, as well.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcovers View Post
... the Super 58s in it are like no HB I have ever played. They are super articulate and like a cross between a P90 and an HB. None of that "sound muddy" kind of thing I just could not get away from with so many other full HBs.
That's why they were Jerry Garcia's PUPs of choice during his Ibanez period.
\_.--.(
Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

www.chucke.com/guitars
Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Silberman View Post
That's why they were Jerry Garcia's PUPs of choice during his Ibanez period.
Which Ibanez guitars did Jerry play? I remember seeing Bob Weir with quite a few...
Old 11-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

i LOVE super 58s!

best pickups made IMO!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt L View Post
Which Ibanez guitars did Jerry play? I remember seeing Bob Weir with quite a few...
Actually, the only picture I know of Jerry playing an Ibanez is from the summer of 1978, he's shown playing a custom-built Ibanez Musician MC400NT. It's custom because it has an extra knob and two output jacks (though in the picture he's using just one). That guitar would have had Super 88s in it, not 58s.

It would have looked something like this:

www.chucke.com/guitars
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Yup and this pic is from '79.

\_.--.(
Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 AM

I have an 85 AS200 with super 58's that just sounds fantastic. When I first picked it up, the quality tones I was getting shocked me, I could pull just about any tone I wanted with them. I can cover a lot of ground musically with this guitar.

The 58's are great pickups, especially when using a vintage Fender amp with them.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM

Isn't this what Scofield plays? I know the new JSM100 has super 58's. I could be mixing it up with the Metheny version. Either way, I do love this pickup. An Ibanez semihollow will likely be the next guitar I purchase. I also have the same opinion of HB's and have since fallen in love with these. Just incredible sound and tone.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 PM

"Vintage" Maxon/Ibanez pups are some of my favs. You can still find them around for a decent price.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member

Super 58s from different eras have different outputs. I have a set in an AR700 that are hot and compressed, really good sounding but not vintage sounding.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 AM

I own a JSM100 and I have the exact same experience with the pickups in this guitar - they are very bright and articulate and seem to compress less than some other humbuckers. They sound fantastic, and to my ears in some ways closer to a big fat single coil than a humbucker. Actually I think this is both the forte and shortcoming of this guitar cause while those clear chimy sounds are oh so lovely I find that I have to work a bit harder to get that typical rich singing humbucker tone from it. It's a sound I'm glad to have, but I'm also glad to have a more traditional 335 type sounding semi.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 AM

I have an 1980 AS200 & it came with Super 57s. Love it in the neck but replaced the bridge with a TV Jones Classic Plus which volume wise matches up better than the 57. I really like the 57 in the neck (probably my favourite neck HB tone of all my guitars, no mud & the split & parrallel tones are really good too) & the combined tones.

For the Ibanez experts, what are the differences between a Super 57 & a 58?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
I own a JSM100 and I have the exact same experience with the pickups in this guitar - they are very bright and articulate and seem to compress less than some other humbuckers. They sound fantastic, and to my ears in some ways closer to a big fat single coil than a humbucker. Actually I think this is both the forte and shortcoming of this guitar cause while those clear chimy sounds are oh so lovely I find that I have to work a bit harder to get that typical rich singing humbucker tone from it. It's a sound I'm glad to have, but I'm also glad to have a more traditional 335 type sounding semi.
wow. that's odd. i had an 81 as200 and the hums in it reacted just like a nice PAF should. maybe you need to put it down for 20 years and let them mellow
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM

I have a '84 Ibanez Artist with original Super 58's in it. The guitar plays and sounds great. The 58's have great articulation but fatten up nicely with the tone knob. Every so often I wonder how the 58's compare to other PAF style pickups on the market but my 58's have the 3 adjustment scew pickup rings and its lefty to boot. I've read the 58's are low output pickups which contributes to their sweet tone.