Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Builder's & Retailer's Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Alex's Attenuator

I want to announce I am out of business I will no longer be making any attenuators. I am proud of the fact that I got everyone's attenuator shipped out in a week or less and that I owe no one anything.

I am back sorry for the short delay my chassis supplier had some family issues and wasn't able to fill my order on time. All new units are now black face and black lids all aluminum.

My attenuator is a passive reactive load which maintains a load very near that of a speaker. By doing that this attenuator is extremely transparent. The limiting factor ends up being the response curve of the speakers at low volumes more so than any fault of the attenuator. In an attempt to compensate for the speaker response I have included a variable treble compensation switch. My attenuator will handle a 100 watt Marshall Superlead which can put out a 170 watts or more at full throttle. That is a lot of heat which means the unit will get warm. The handles don't get warm because they are isolated from the case so the handles are an extra cost option as not everyone will have to move the unit while it is hot.

If you would like post an comment or question please do it here as this post won't get deleted after 90 days. I am happy to answer question sent to me via email or PM. You can find my email address by clicking on the forum name above left.

Basic instructions: The Bypass switch has to be off for the unit to be in the circuit with the speaker. When the bypass is on the unit is bypassed using a true bypass topography so that no parts are connected to the amp or speaker. The -3db/-12db decibel knob has to be in the -12 position before the center knob does anything. For full load both knobs have to be counterclockwise. The treble knob only comes into the circuit when the db knob is in the minus -12 position and becomes more noticeable as the volume is turned down with the center knob. The bypass switch has to be off for the attenuator to be on. The line out volume feeds off the input so the attenuator controls have no effect on it and it only controls the signal at the line out plastic jack on the back.

For purchase info click on my forum name 908ssp in the upper left hand corner and follow the prompts to email me.

Thank you Jack Zucker for the demo.

Parker Fly Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Stealth, Supreme...Marshalls, Mesas, Fenders, Gibsons, Wrecks, Glaswerks....

Last edited by 908SSP; 12-04-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Back in the Great State
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Great unit and great service!

* Check out my gear demos:www.youtube.com/traviswalknyc
www.newdakotaband.com
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I'm still digging mine totally. The first attenuator I've owned that works great cranked way down. Everyone I've let try mine has said the same.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

ALEX

Still the best attenuater Ive ever used!Great support and economy friendly...hard to beat!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Just wanted to say that I'm a believer. This attenuator is the real-deal. There is certainly a lot of hype on TGP about attenuators but this one works great and lives up to the praise. Very transparent and does not alter the sound of your amp. Very impressed with the quality of workmanship too. Nice, american made product.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Love mine. Sold my Ho and very happy.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I've had mine for about 6 months now and it works as promised - transparent. Previously owned the Hot Plate and Ultimate which have been sold. Alex knows his stuff and has been very responsive to my questions. If you need an attenuator - look no further.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

This thing rocks. I am able to own and use amps that would be too loud without the Alex. So not only can you use it to crank your Marshalls or whatever, but it can also be used to tame down the volume of any amp. Use it to get your amps to their sweet spot, it doesn't just have to be used for cranking things to the max. Excellent product.

Good deals with: CHESSNUTDOG, jiml, traviswalk, mcdyas, tradarama, std22, Mark Williams, Timster, plagtr2, murkat, orange worker, Bejazzz, Ascension, Lambone + many others i can't remember...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM

I like mine.
pw guest
I'm always getting new stuff...always selling old stuff- check it out!

Sounds of my gear-
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=773031

I teach guitar in NYC! So PM me if you're looking for help with your playing-

Cheers,

Jack Devine
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

This thing is definitely not hype. It allows me to use all 4 of my amps (all running at 8 ohms) at any volume in any situation. My CP-103 Reeves would be virtually unusable in most situations without it. I wish mine had the handles, but the unit only gets hot with my 100 watt Reeves. I can run my Germino Lead 55 as long and as high volume I want without it getting hot. The Alex is certainly the best bang for the buck in the new high end attenuators. It killed the Air Brake I used to own. The Alex is totally transparent until you get down to almost load levels. And I like the click settings of 3 db reduction. I don't ever find that I need anything in between. The treble compensation is mainly for use down below 12 db, as your speakers just aren't really moving as much at that point.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Supporting Member

Alex's Attenuator in action
Made my VOX AC50 usable in a club

Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
One Man Banned

I never realized how much of a compromise I was making with my other attenuators until I tried Alex's.

The Ultimate, Hot Plate and Richter are now collecting dust.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM

I love my Alex Attenuator! Just used it this past weekend at a gig between my Vox AC30 head and Cage 2x12. It was a small, highly reflective room. During sound check, the sound guy came over and asked if I could get just a bit quieter to balance out the mix. I flipped the Alex from -3 to -6, and the volume went down but the tone remained! The sound man was happy, and so was I.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM

My Alex Attenuator has been a dream and the only people happier than me are my neighbors.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Alex, Best gear purchase I've made in a long time. Quality piece. Works as described. Thanks, GT