Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Axe FX MIDI controller

OK, I'm having terrible problems with the Behringer FCB1010. Also, only after I held it did I realize its HUGE for my needs. I'm a 5 to 10 patches kinda guy and dont need 100 patches. Also, I dont need two expression pedals.

So, what's the smallest MIDI controller for the Axe which has just one expression pedal? The liquid stuff is way too expensive.
Great Dealings with: tonedover, s5c6ihLW50, ibanez4life SZ! (Bought Uberschall), ToneBum (sold USB/MIDI cable), motogrinder (traded TL-2), GEN DAWG (Bought Midimate), ptdesign (sold Boost D.L.A), musickbox (Bought Yorkville Monitors)
Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Rocktron Midi-mate?

Affiliations/Disclosures/Rig Design/Programming Consulting
: Click here
Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

Hmmm.

I just got the FCB, what problems?

BTW, I have a spare Midimate I can sell you if you wish to go that route.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 AM

The midimate is nice - had one before my All Access, but it doesnt have a FC, ou have to add one sperately. Also while smaller in size than the FB, not by much. It still has the 10 buttons though. If you use 5 for patch and 5 for IA its quite a neat little controller.

Yamahe do a board with one built in FC, though I dont think its mucg smaller than the Behringer:

http://music.yamaha.com/products/mai...id=16240_16244

While Roland do a smaller board - but it still has 2 FCs:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FC-300/
Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 AM

What about the Rocktron All Access LTD, similar to the All Access but with a foot controller?

I've been eying this one myself but haven't seen too many axe-fx specific reviews about it.

Guitars: Tele and Strat parts casters equipped with Lace Alumitone pups
Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II | Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro | Mackie SRM350 Monitors
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks guys. Luke, I would like to have at least one footcontroller.

How good is the Lexicon MPX R1 ? One's for sale and I was leaning toward it. Let me know if you guys have used it. Thanks!

The Rocktron All Access is $1129?? I dont think I wanna spend that much on a footcontroller!
Great Dealings with: tonedover, s5c6ihLW50, ibanez4life SZ! (Bought Uberschall), ToneBum (sold USB/MIDI cable), motogrinder (traded TL-2), GEN DAWG (Bought Midimate), ptdesign (sold Boost D.L.A), musickbox (Bought Yorkville Monitors)
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

I use a Digitech control 8 for now. It satisfies your requirements, is easy to use, fits in my double gigbag along with cables so I can make the gig on one trip. Not the best expression pedal, but adequate. Pedals are sturdy. Easy to program.

However, I'm waiting for the Fractal box...

DS

Most recent TEDx talk: TEDx yap
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

RMC audio Master mind

Aiken intruder/Saber, Carvin Legacy, Splawn QR, Anderson, Suhr, Morley Pedals, Dimarzio Pickups I use them all!!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM

You can attach a foot controller to the midi mate or just plug one into the back of the axe using the external jacks.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor_black View Post
Thanks guys. Luke, I would like to have at least one footcontroller.

How good is the Lexicon MPX R1 ? One's for sale and I was leaning toward it. Let me know if you guys have used it. Thanks!

The Rocktron All Access is $1129?? I dont think I wanna spend that much on a footcontroller!
Used All Access are running in the $450-500 range now. Well worth that used price point. New? No way.

Affiliations/Disclosures/Rig Design/Programming Consulting
: Click here
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Supporting Member

I'm using a MidiMate with a Boss volume pedal as an expression pedal and couldn't be happier. Very flexible, easy to configure and cheap.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 PM

I agree on the FCB1010... I bought one that I've been using with my AxeFx. Yes, it will switch presets, but it's quirky (I sometimes have to shut it off and on to get it to sync up with the AxeFx) and the pedals just bite. Doing volume swells with this after using my Ernie Ball is just painful.

I definitely plan to upgrade, but, like you, am not planning to pay a grand for a midi floorboard.. that's ridiculously priced.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 PM

I haven't actually hooked it up and tried it, but since my GT-10 is now retired, I plan on using it as the controller for my Ultra. If I am reading the manuals right, it should be able to change patches in all three Axe banks, act as a MIDI CC foot control, and provide four additional PB switches for FX on/off control.

If this actually works (I think I read somewhere that it does), you can get used Boss GT-6,8,10's cheaper than just about any of the dedicated MIDI controllers.

JWW
Old 03-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDubois View Post
I haven't actually hooked it up and tried it, but since my GT-10 is now retired, I plan on using it as the controller for my Ultra. If I am reading the manuals right, it should be able to change patches in all three Axe banks, act as a MIDI CC foot control, and provide four additional PB switches for FX on/off control.

If this actually works (I think I read somewhere that it does), you can get used Boss GT-6,8,10's cheaper than just about any of the dedicated MIDI controllers.

JWW
Yeah, I had a GT-8 once and was able to hook it up with a JMP-1 and switch presets as a MIDI footswitch. But I dont have it anymore to test with the axe. I once saw under completed listings a GT-8 sell for $75 with free shipping!!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

The Boss GT's are incredibly sturdy and have a good feeling expression pedal too. I have been using a GT-8 for years as my main tone machine and intend to try to get it to midi-control my AxeFx. The other + would be that I would have a workable backup right at my feet in case anything malfunctioned on the AxeFx.

Good dealings for me (9fingers) here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...7#post14988547