Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Peavey Solo Series Bandit 65: Any Good?

I have a chance to pick up one of these for $100. I know they were built from 1983-1986 and are 65 watts...made in the USA with the Scorpion speaker...

But i can't seem to find a good video review of the amp. I have read reviews on Harmony Central but it said Peavey Bandit 65...I don't know if those are for the Solo Series or not...

Anyone have experience with this particular amp (please no reviews of the other Bandit amps...I have read a ton on those...)...Is $100 a good price? I am a Fender guy and have a Blues Jr and a VCXD...I'm just looking for a decent noodling amp to get some heavier tones on...BUT a good clean/overdrive would be nice too!

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM

I've owned several Bandits over the years, including the 65 model. I remember it as being a good amp with some nice cleans. Distorted sounds were decent, but not the best.

If it's in clean condition, $100 is a good deal. (Where else can you get an American made amp that you can gig with for a C note?)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Proud longtime Bandit 65 owner here. These were before the Transtube circuitry was developed, but I actually like the distortion sound on mine. Cleans are excellent, and the amp's "saturation" circuit responds very similarly to the Transtube.

I think all of the Bandit 65's were the solo series, if I am not mistaken. The Scorpion is also a really durable and good sounding speaker. i think I prefer them to the Peavey Black Widows.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 PM

It'd nearly be better trying to find a transtube one IMO.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

they are very serviceable and road-worthy SS amps, with decent tone and decent clean headroom. I had one in the late '80s, and as I recall, the OD wasn't particularly heavy--more like a Marshall-y 'crunch'.

If I were you, I'd save a few more dollars and get a used Line 6 Spider IV 75w combo. You'll be MUCH happier with both the clean and heavy tones, as well as the effects and versatility. You should be able to score a used one for less than $200.

good luck
Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I had one that I got rid of a several months ago. It was a good amp and it provided me many nights of gigging. The distortion sounds are just OK, but not great. At the time when I bought it, it was great, but now there are so many good amps that I got rid of it.

I actually traded it for a Vox Pathfinder 15...the Vox is a better amp
Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
they are very serviceable and road-worthy SS amps, with decent tone and decent clean headroom. I had one in the late '80s, and as I recall, the OD wasn't particularly heavy--more like a Marshall-y 'crunch'.

If I were you, I'd save a few more dollars and get a used Line 6 Spider IV 75w combo. You'll be MUCH happier with both the clean and heavy tones, as well as the effects and versatility. You should be able to score a used one for less than $200.

good luck
Thanks for all the advice guys! I am really not LOOKING for a new amp...I am happy with what I have with my Blues Jr. This one just happened to fall into my lap and I thought I would investigate it. Someone on another forum said these amps only go for $50-$60...so $100 is way too much.

Also, I can't stand Line 6 products...they make the hair on the back of my neck stand up....I don't know why. I could never play one for more than a few minutes before saying no way!

Thanks anyway! :-)
Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster View Post
I had one that I got rid of a several months ago. It was a good amp and it provided me many nights of gigging. The distortion sounds are just OK, but not great. At the time when I bought it, it was great, but now there are so many good amps that I got rid of it.

I actually traded it for a Vox Pathfinder 15...the Vox is a better amp
The newer bandits are even better. The Pathfinders are great though.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:24 PM

i had a new one in 84. i loved it. 100$$ i would buy that.