Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Bass Area; The Bottom Line

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ampeg B200R - mixed reviews. Need help.

Hey guys! First time posting in the bass section of TGP. I looked around for some info on the Ampeg B200R - most of which was on Harmony Central and it was mixed. Here's the thing:

My wife has 2 bass amps, An Ampeg V4B (not from the 70's - pretty sure it's from the 80's) 100 watt tube head, 4x10 cab and she has an Ampeg B100R. Oh, and she plays an old Rickenbacker 4001.

Both amps are good and sound decent but we don't have enough clean headroom so we're looking into some new amps. We want to stay with Ampeg and we're looking at the B200R and the BA210. But it seems both models have been discontinued.

They show up occasionally on craigslist but I'm just wondering if there's something else that I don't know about that might be better or something that they're coming out with soon or anything?

Thanks!

www.thefallenstars.com
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM

Wow. Lots of folks reading this but no one has an opinion? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

www.thefallenstars.com
Old 06-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Fender Bassman TV Ten or TV 12 are great combos, have a similar vibe and tone, and are LOUD.

I had a B200R, it was cool, but rattled a bit and was HEAVY.

I also have a B100R and could compare these Fenders. They are NOT typical Fender bass amps. I play a Hofner Icon bass through my Fender Bassman TV Ten and get a GREAT early 60s, Beatles tone out of it.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:28 AM

I had a B100R and traded it off after gigging with it for a couple of years. Too heavy for the power, good, but not great, tone. Later B100Rs and B200Rs are made overseas, which turned me off (mine was MIA). I liked the fact that I could run a DI from the amp into the PA, but the sound was nothing special.

I now have a Fender Bassman 400 that I keep at the practice space and my main amp, a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x15. If you don't want to spend the money, DON'T try the Mesa/Boogie! Nothing else will ever sound as good. I have finally gotten the Fender dialed in to the extent that it sounds OK but the Mesa/Boogie kills.

With bass amps, as with microphones, you definitely get what you pay for. Cheap amps sound bad. It takes some savvy to make a great bass amp.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to be looking into the Mesa and the Fender TV amp.

www.thefallenstars.com