Become a Supporting Member


Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM
RolloTomassi RolloTomassi is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
Billy Howerdel influenced rig

I'd like to build a Billy Howerdel (A Perfect Circle/Ashes Divide) influenced rig. He plays with rack systems though and I'd prefer to go with individual pedals. I know he uses a lot of delay and some wah here and there. What other pedals would you include in this rig?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Braunzo Braunzo is offline
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 2,137
Howerdel is a hard one... A very hard one. He's always done the refrigerator sized rack setup until recently. I think he's just down to an Axe-Fx now. The hard thing to cop is his distortion sounds and being able to switch off a bunch of effects at one time. But when it comes down to it, his effects are very basic rock n roll... A lot of the sounds he uses (with the exception of his drive sounds) are pretty much inspired by The Cure. Think Seventeen Second era Cure for the clean/modulated sounds.

Wah (Pick what you're comfortable with)
Chorus (An old Boss analog one would be ideal. Maybe an EHX.)
Delay (I'd get a timefactor or something digital that you could do presets with.)
Phase (Never seen a need to go past a Phase 90)
Verb (EHX is my personal favorite for this. Lots of options here. I'd just go with a basic Holy Grail)
OD (Again, a light OD... Something that just adds some hair to your cleans. I'd say a clean boost like a Super Hard On, Super Chili Picosso, or TIM/TIMMY)
Distortion (Something heavy... Hot Rodded Marshall for sure... Maybe a Suhr Riot? ProCo Rat would fit the bill a bit. Probably even the RAWK setting in the Dirty Little Secret.)

A HUGE part of Billy's sound is the fact that he's tuned so low (C# Standard) and uses a bunch of octaves with the root on the low C#. He also likes to use Fourths a bunch in chord shapes.

Hope this helped a bit.
__________________
Braunzo Guitar
Tips in gigging, tone, experimentation with a general appreciation of music.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
RolloTomassi RolloTomassi is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
Quote:
The hard thing to cop is his distortion sounds and being able to switch off a bunch of effects at one time.
Doesn't he use super expensive Diezel and modded VHT amps?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Braunzo Braunzo is offline
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomassi View Post
Doesn't he use super expensive Diezel and modded VHT amps?
He uses a modded Marshall Plexi head (for effects loop... this is APC era) and relies on his rack effects. He used VHT cabs briefly. Who knows what he used in his studio. Live it was Les Paul, fridge sized rack > modded Marshall head into Marshall cab. I want to say his distortion sound probably came from the Digitech 2102 (I think that's what it was called) rack unit.
__________________
Braunzo Guitar
Tips in gigging, tone, experimentation with a general appreciation of music.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Braunzo Braunzo is offline
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 2,137
Corrections: It was a JMP head and it's a Digitech 2101 effects unit.
__________________
Braunzo Guitar
Tips in gigging, tone, experimentation with a general appreciation of music.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
RolloTomassi RolloTomassi is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
Hmm I might try:

Les Paul > wah > digitech SC-2 > Suhr Riot > chorus (maybe a Maxon chorus) > TC Nova Delay > Hardwire reverb
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM
sleepyone sleepyone is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomassi View Post
Hmm I might try:

Les Paul > wah > digitech SC-2 > Suhr Riot > chorus (maybe a Maxon chorus) > TC Nova Delay > Hardwire reverb
the sc-2 is a superb pedal for downtuned guitars; I had an APC-esque band and used that pedal when I couldn't bring my amp to a show; very clear when playing chords, it still has good crunch capabilities and sounds great when palm-muting. You might wanna consider adding a booster or comp before it to "enhance" your sound when soloing, but let me tell you, if the sc-2 excels at one thing, it is being capable of both clear chording and screaming solos; single notes get a sustain and compression from the pedal that chords don't; I don't know how they did it when designing this pedal, but it really works this way
__________________
somehow always out of place...
http://www.youtube.com/user/thesafetyofobjects

http://www.calendarmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
datguytim datguytim is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,246
I just saw him the other night w/Ashes Divide. He's running Marshall & Mesa Power Amps w/2 Axe FXs.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
RolloTomassi RolloTomassi is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyone View Post
the sc-2 is a superb pedal for downtuned guitars; I had an APC-esque band and used that pedal when I couldn't bring my amp to a show; very clear when playing chords, it still has good crunch capabilities and sounds great when palm-muting. You might wanna consider adding a booster or comp before it to "enhance" your sound when soloing, but let me tell you, if the sc-2 excels at one thing, it is being capable of both clear chording and screaming solos; single notes get a sustain and compression from the pedal that chords don't; I don't know how they did it when designing this pedal, but it really works this way
I love the SC-2! I played one the other day, I felt like I entered audio heaven. I walked out the amp room, all hot under the collar wanting another round. Thats definitely my go to low-medium gain od, that and the LTD

As for Billy's distortion tones, I'm hoping a Hartman distortion will do the trick.

btw I just want to emulate his sounds, our writing styles are very similar, but I'm not in a APC cover band or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
mickey69 mickey69 is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunzo View Post
He uses a modded Marshall Plexi head (for effects loop... this is APC era) and relies on his rack effects. He used VHT cabs briefly. Who knows what he used in his studio. Live it was Les Paul, fridge sized rack > modded Marshall head into Marshall cab. I want to say his distortion sound probably came from the Digitech 2102 (I think that's what it was called) rack unit.

i remember reading that the whole first APC record was all Amp Farm.
__________________
"This is TGP. Everything that makes no difference at all is of the utmost importance."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
todd richman todd richman is offline
Banned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,261
A few dirt pedals like the DLS
A solo boost
Verb -I love my Earthquaker Ghost Echo and the RV-5 modulated verb with a parallel looper like the X-Blender would be great too.
Yamaha UD Stomp which is like a rack of delay/modulation processors in a large footpedal-I just scored a NOS one last night-hard to find but gorgeously lush for atmosphere which a lot of APC had
Maybe a Phaser with some versatility-Whetstone or Grand Orbiter perhaps.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM
RolloTomassi RolloTomassi is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 799
Quote:
Maybe a Phaser with some versatility-Whetstone or Grand Orbiter perhaps.
I hear some of you guys saying phase, but I don't hear much phase on their recordings
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Braunzo Braunzo is offline
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomassi View Post
I hear some of you guys saying phase, but I don't hear much phase on their recordings
He uses it quite a bit live. That's what I was going off of.
__________________
Braunzo Guitar
Tips in gigging, tone, experimentation with a general appreciation of music.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
turtleboy3 turtleboy3 is offline
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 130
which chorus pedal is great for his tone like the song BLUE by APC
__________________
Good Deals -DOTSFX, digdown2001, jAcKoFsPeEd, jstephanus
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 AM
pulse. pulse. is offline
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,660
A digitech 2112 Artist I think through Naked amp
http://www.tonemerchants.com/product...ward%20winner/
__________________
"Another Roadside Attraction" is in itunes
www.facebook.com/pulsedot
www.youtube.com/user/pulsemusictube
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999-2014, The Gear Page, LLC, Brian Scherzer
All rights reserved.
Banner Design: Chris Sileo