Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Pub

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What would YOU do about latenight doorbell ring & run?

Over the last few months, we've had kids (I assume) ringing the bell and running off. It started in May, usually around 9:00 or 9:30. Early on I would jump up, open the door and run out, and never really saw anyone. One time I gave the loud 'come on out and show how tough you are, you pu***'. Which in hindsight, probably incited them to see what they could get away with.

Gradually, it got later and later. We stopped responding, just staying in bed. Last night it was twice at 11:30, then midnight. This morning there was graffiti on the porch and driveway (chalk, washed off with the hose) that said the F-word, and a couple great penis drawings. They also threw Domino's hotwing sauce all over the garage door.

Now what? I let the HOA know, and sent pics of the graffiti. Wife's out of town tonight...so I'm tempted to hide out and grab 'em tonight. What do you think?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Call the cops.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 AM

latenate? I'll google it.

E. Peterson - If a good band was making music but TGP didn't hear it would it still make a sound?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 AM

you could rig your doorbell to give them a little shock or put ink on their fingers or something.. have fun with them.. they are dumb kids.. scare the hell out of them, mess with them, do whatever.. plus your wife's out of town which means you won't get in trouble for tormenting some teenagers
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Looker-Motion-.../dp/B00268TKLE

...or similar

edit: Doorbell ringing is a childish prank...I may have done it once or twice myself The other stuff is vandalism, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. Stop it now before it escalates. I would definatly (how in hell do you spell that? I'm tired of trying) get the police involved.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 AM

hide across the street, neighbors house or parked car or something.
Then pounce when they least suspect it. Have cell phone on you just in case.

Oh and if they are smart at all, they wont be back tonight.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 AM

When kids do that they want you to open the door all pissed off. While you're yelling they're in the bushes somewhere laughing at you. It only encourages them. The best thing to do is ignore them so they don't get the satisfaction of pissing you off.

If you can't control yourself and want revenge, consider hiding out on your property with the garden hose ready to go. Pelting them with eggs could be fun too. Of course this could simply further escalate the hijinks.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 AM

you made yourself a target by reacting the way you did initially. We used to do this to people and we knew certain houses were better than others. One guy used to chase us all the way down the street-it was awesome.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Get one of these Hannibal masks :

Dress up in this :

Bottle of fake blood :

Apply above to suit. Find a large kitchen knife, apply blood to knife. Hide in the bushes and crawl to them while making a faint moaning noise and some random psychopath lines. That should scare them off. Or they'll just stand there and laugh.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Gold Supporting Member

You must have some idea who it is, right? It's got to be teens in the neighborhood. They'll be back in school before too long, but if it continues I'd call the cops & have them try to catch them in the act. As other former prankster delinquents like myself have already attested to, your reaction only fuels the fire.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsnielsniels View Post
Get one of these Hannibal masks :

Dress up in this :

Bottle of fake blood :

Apply above to suit. Find a large kitchen knife, apply blood to knife. Hide in the bushes and crawl to them while making a faint moaning noise and some random psychopath lines. That should scare them off. Or they'll just stand there and laugh.
that would be great if a cop just happened by and saw a grown ass man chasing kids around like that! Youd have alot of 'splainin to do.

When we were little we used to get the icecream man to stop and then wed just run away. One time he chased us and caught us, he didnt do anythng but yell but he was visably shaken he was so upset, he kept saying , "why? Why? do you do this" "I dunno, cuz we're bored."
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM

Set up a camera , you can pick up a security camera as a completely package now. IR , see at night , from anywhere like a Sams Club or whatever and not expensive.

Then you have proof and faces to take to the cops , you might even know who they are then it can get real interesting.

Myndsight
Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM

That happened to us back in MD. Late Saturday nights we were getting the same treatment but it was like they were kicking the door in. It was very scary until we found out it was kids.

One night I waited with the lights off and watched from the window and opened the door just as the little ****ers were about to do it again. I got a good look at one of them and shouted that now I knew what he looked like I'd be coming for him. Then, figuring it was local kids, I wrote an email 2 minutes later to the entire neighborhood association describing them and noting that I would treat future incidents like attempted home invasion, i.e. first call the police and use whatever legal means I had available in my gun cabinet to defend my family whilst waiting for the police to arrive. Never happened again.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member

*movie, Dennis the Menace* tape a thumb tack on the doorbell button upside down.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeddy View Post
*movie, Dennis the Menace* tape a thumb tack on the doorbell button upside down.