Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

80's DigiTech PDS series

Any news on the PDS series? It's really hard to find information on them.

First interest is in their Delay pedals, the PDS-1000, PDS-1002 or the 20/20. Currently I'm using the DOD DFX91 delay. Been with me for a few years already and I love the delay on this thing. Does the PDS-1000/1002 have the same circuit? If not how about the 20/20?

Second is in the PDS-3000 PedalVerb. Is it as noisy as the few said reviews on the net say it is? Saying that they have to crank the input and output to get to unity and that causes plenty of noise.

This ain't the usual thread and might not get as much attention as others. But any help would be appreciated as I'm quite intrigued on their PDS series.
FaceBook: facebook.com/atlasbandsg
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

the pds 20/20 is the delay to go for, you can mess with the trimpots inside to crank up the delay time to pds 8000 times and the modulation is just too much fun. the switches are pretty flimsy though.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 AM

Hmmm. Seeing that DOD and DigiTech were affiliated by that point of time, would the DOD Delays and the DigiTech PDS delays sound the same?
This is quite important to me!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 AM

I've still got the rack version RDS 8000 somewhere. I tweaked the circuit to get 23 seconds of reasonable-bandwith delay and used it as a primitive trigger sampler. That was fun. So was the modulation - enormous sinusoidal sweeps, the likes of which I've never heard anywhere else.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 AM

My PDS 8000 finally[and suddenly]died on me after many years of solid service,but
my PDS 1002 is still working great(owned both since 1994) .

I'll have to check out the 20/20, sometime ..
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 AM

Great to hear they can last so long. I had a DS-1 from the 70's that still worked like a gem before I sold it last year!

How about the PedalVerb? Any news?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 PM

I've got a PDS-1000 that still sounds just as clanky and Digitechy as the day it was new. They still work and if you like the Digi house sound it'll do it.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 AM

Anyone else? On the Pedalverb especially?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM

I have a PDS-8000, and it was on my board continuously from 1993-2009. That's the longest of any pedal for me. Nevertheless, I like some of the features of the Timebender and so have been using that for the past year. Despite nostalgia, I think I'll probably put the PDS-8000 up for sale before long.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I dunno....I fried TWO PDS-8000s back in the day. The more robust of the two *almost* lasted two years.

Probably overloaded the input since I was daisy-chaining delays back then. Still, the Boss delays of the era weren't affected adversely.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM

PDS-1002 is my favorite of the bunch. Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth has been using this delay for years and years. I sold two of them to him myself. He loves the Hold and loop function of it.
The PDS pedals came out way before the fx91 came out, so if I was guessing I wouldn't think they have the same circuit.

Here's a pic of lee's board I took with his PDS-1002 on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven View Post
the pds 20/20 is the delay to go for, you can mess with the trimpots inside to crank up the delay time to pds 8000 times and the modulation is just too much fun. the switches are pretty flimsy though.
My 20/20 is modded. Besides messing with the trimpots, I changed out the switches to these guys: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=672

It's way more robust now. Easily my favorite delay pedal ever, just because of the noise, looping, and pitch-bending capabilities. It's a godsend for droney stuff and even does a DMM impersonation on lower settings.

jazzmaster > pedals > ampeg v4/sunn A212

Last edited by stradivari310; 09-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Okay, I'm about to drop the knowledge here. Pay attention.

I currently have an ugly stripped, modded and beat-up 20/20 which has been a staple in my setup ever since I got it almost a year ago along with my other delays. The delays are clear, but sound very lively without sounding too sterile and digital. I have mine tweaked for oscillation and for about 5 seconds of delay time. The oscillations are completely bonkers and sound demonic which is awesome (extremely loud too!). The modulation is very extreme and most of it is way beyond regular chorus and flanger which can be very cool in the delay mode for some crazy pitchshifting action. The hold mode is amazing and is one of the main reasons why I love this pedal so much, it's extremely fun and it's so wonderful to use in a musical context, even with a band. The little loops can be really awesome when you increase the delay time because they combine with the feedback delay and you get really awesome sound-on-sound type stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed64 View Post
Second is in the PDS-3000 PedalVerb. Is it as noisy as the few said reviews on the net say it is? Saying that they have to crank the input and output to get to unity and that causes plenty of noise.
I also had a 3000 for a good 4 months and I just sold it a few weeks ago. First of all, it is slightly noisy, but nowhere near as noisy as people make it out to be. You do not have to crank the in/out gains to get unity signal, quite the opposite in fact. I alway ran it with both at around 1 o'clock and it was a severe signal boost (it easily clipped my SS practice amp's power stage when I would run it at really low levels). The reverbs sound great and I actually kind of liked them more than the verbs on my Boss RV-3. Their character was really warm and thick which always made me want to play it more and more. The infinite mode is absolutely godly, there isn't a single pedal out there right now that does the same thing and there probably won't be for a while. The infinite mode turns your signal into a syrupy stream of sound and it flows so beautifully while pulsing with your playing dynamics because it's extremely sensitive to dynamics. I loved the sound of the pedal, but I didn't like the preamp and it wasn't getting too much use so I sold it to someone who would use it more than myself.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD View Post
Okay, I'm about to drop the knowledge here. Pay attention.

I currently have an ugly stripped, modded and beat-up 20/20 which has been a staple in my setup ever since I got it almost a year ago along with my other delays. The delays are clear, but sound very lively without sounding too sterile and digital. I have mine tweaked for oscillation and for about 5 seconds of delay time. The oscillations are completely bonkers and sound demonic which is awesome (extremely loud too!). The modulation is very extreme and most of it is way beyond regular chorus and flanger which can be very cool in the delay mode for some crazy pitchshifting action. The hold mode is amazing and is one of the main reasons why I love this pedal so much, it's extremely fun and it's so wonderful to use in a musical context, even with a band. The little loops can be really awesome when you increase the delay time because they combine with the feedback delay and you get really awesome sound-on-sound type stuff.

I also had a 3000 for a good 4 months and I just sold it a few weeks ago. First of all, it is slightly noisy, but nowhere near as noisy as people make it out to be. You do not have to crank the in/out gains to get unity signal, quite the opposite in fact. I alway ran it with both at around 1 o'clock and it was a severe signal boost (it easily clipped my SS practice amp's power stage when I would run it at really low levels). The reverbs sound great and I actually kind of liked them more than the verbs on my Boss RV-3. Their character was really warm and thick which always made me want to play it more and more. The infinite mode is absolutely godly, there isn't a single pedal out there right now that does the same thing and there probably won't be for a while. The infinite mode turns your signal into a syrupy stream of sound and it flows so beautifully while pulsing with your playing dynamics because it's extremely sensitive to dynamics. I loved the sound of the pedal, but I didn't like the preamp and it wasn't getting too much use so I sold it to someone who would use it more than myself.

Really BIG thanks for sharing your knowledge mate. It makes me want to get a PedalVerb and either a PDS1002 or a 20/20. Quite eager on those!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM

No probs, they're both great pedals. I have a couple of demo/jam vids that I've done with both. I might as well post them here for you to see since you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjT3HwzdfQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OC6V5RR5nA

Another note on the 3000, the preamp is always on so it doesn't go away during the bypass. This also means that you get unity gain at ANY input and output gain settings, it will just vary your overall signal strength.