Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Pub

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Making tomato sauce

Been making tomato sauce out the the roma tomatoes out of our garden the last few days. Half our deep freeze is probably full of frozen corn, green beans and tomato sauce for the year. It all tastes better than what you can buy at the stores. It has been a time consuming process, but I actually enjoyed it. Which kind of scares me...

That is all.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 AM

I was always intimadated by making tomato sauce until I saw an episode of No Reservations where they taught you how to make various foods you normally would go out to get. One of those was pomodoro sauce. Its face palmingly easy:

Fresh tomatoes (if fresh is not available, whole roma tomatoes)
Fresh Basil
Fresh Garlic
onions or shallots
olive oil

Peel the tomatoes by blanching them for a few seconds. The skin comes right off. Then saute some minced garlic and finely chopped onions in about half a cup of olive oil until they are cooking. Like 1-2 minutes. Dump tomatoes into the pot. Mash them up with a potato masher. then let cook down over medium heat for like 30-40 minutes, stirring or resmashing as needed. At the end of that, throw in some freshly chopped basil. cook for like 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Done.

No added sugar. No tomato paste. No processed ingredients, and some of the best sauce you'll ever have in your life. Put it in a pan with some unrinsed freshly cooked fresh (not dried) pasta and toss it around and the sauce will thicken a bit from the starch. Garnish with some basil.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Yep, we can up a few batches of fresh tomato sauce each year too. Probably have about 30 quarts in storage. Along with a batch of salsa and half a dozen batches of tomato and tomato/vegetable juice that my wife really likes. Lots and lots of fresh eating ones too and many have gone to friends. An extimated 250 lbs of heirloom tomatoes have been harvested out of our garden so far this year.

Nothing beats fresh from the garden tomato sauce! In fact, I have some on my pasta for lunch at work today.....
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Supporting Member

We've got sweet corn,tomatoes, peppers, peaches in the freezer now. Going to be pressing apple cider in the next month. For that, we've got an old kitchen counter piece with a hole cutout for a disposal. Quarter the apples and run them through the disposal and it makes the pressing real easy! Usually put up about 40 gallons of cider! If you grow sweet corn, try some Sweetie 82, it's 45% sugar.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

I made a batch of fresh sauce week before last and need to make another this week we have so many ripe tomatoes now. I cut mine in half, squeeze out the excess gick and seeds then roast them cut side down on a pan that's been olive oiled and sea salted. The skins come right off when they are done. Garlic is from a friend of mine's garden, basil, parsley, oregano and peppers from our garden. Onions are the only thing we didn't grow.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funk View Post
I was always intimadated by making tomato sauce until I saw an episode of No Reservations where they taught you how to make various foods you normally would go out to get. One of those was pomodoro sauce. Its face palmingly easy:

Fresh tomatoes (if fresh is not available, whole roma tomatoes)
Fresh Basil
Fresh Garlic
onions or shallots
olive oil

Peel the tomatoes by blanching them for a few seconds. The skin comes right off. Then saute some minced garlic and finely chopped onions in about half a cup of olive oil until they are cooking. Like 1-2 minutes. Dump tomatoes into the pot. Mash them up with a potato masher. then let cook down over medium heat for like 30-40 minutes, stirring or resmashing as needed. At the end of that, throw in some freshly chopped basil. cook for like 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Done.

No added sugar. No tomato paste. No processed ingredients, and some of the best sauce you'll ever have in your life. Put it in a pan with some unrinsed freshly cooked fresh (not dried) pasta and toss it around and the sauce will thicken a bit from the starch. Garnish with some basil.
do that without the onions (hate onions in tomato sauce) and i've been eating it that way for years. you can also do the same with canned peeled whole tomatos from the store and get 90% of the way there. get yourself an emersion blender to make it easier to puree in the pot and finally, get some of those mason jars with lids. the kind you can put in the dishwasher on hot to get the jar hot and put in some tomato sauce and cool it real quick to seal and you dont even need to freeze it.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

also, make pizza sauce. it's even easier. peel the tomatoes, smash them up, DONE!!!! dont even cook it. they cook when it's on the pizza.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM

We don't add anything to the tomatoes when we make the sauce. My wife prefers to add the stuff when she is cooking.

Maybe the next batch i make in a few weeks I will add some garlic, basil, onions and olive oil. It always gets added anyways...

Should probably make some salsa before the year is over too...
Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM

I've been making my own sauce, or Sunday Gravy to us S.Philly Guidos, since I was 12. It's not hard to make and until you've had home made you never know how horrible those jar sauces and Olive Garden really are.

+1 zillion to you!