Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

celestion G12P-80 or Vintage 30 for a Hot Rod Deluxe III?

Greeting fellow TGPers,
I have new HRD III, which comes with stock celestion G12P-80. I have read that the Vintage 30's are popular replacements in the HRD's.

I was wondering how the celestion G12P-80 would compare with a V30 if I could AB them?

Is it worth upgrading? Is it an upgrade at all?
Thanks all!
dn
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personally don't like the v-30 in Fender amps so I'd recommend not to make the switch. If you like your sound now, why mess with it?? If you don't like it and really want to upgrade I'd recommend the g12-h30 70th anniversary instead, regardless of the lower wattage rating.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 PM

The V30 is a popular suggestion for these amps and in fact Fender has released special editions with the V30 speaker installed in them. Is there something you don't like with the stock speaker?
Blues Jr., Quinn Sweet Thunder
Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbranam View Post
The V30 is a popular suggestion for these amps and in fact Fender has released special editions with the V30 speaker installed in them. Is there something you don't like with the stock speaker?
The stock speaker sounds good clean, but does not distort well. I tried plugging in to a cab I have with a V30s. The cleans were inferior to the stock speaker in the HRD III, but the distortion was better!

The stock speaker high end can be a bit "ice picky" maybe? Not sure if that is the right word. To bass heavy. Doesn't break up smoothly. I would like clear in warm with nicer breakup and no harsh high end.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 AM

I have the HRD III and I really like the way it sounds stock. I have V30's in a couple of other Fender amp's. This amp sounds great clean and takes pedals well. The OD channel sounds really good when you set it for a nice break up for a good Rock sound. It's not a hard rock or metal amp, just a nice Blues Rock amp. When you set the clean channel nice and clean and then add pedals you can get the high gain sounds you want.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhouse-Blues View Post
I have the HRD III and I really like the way it sounds stock. I have V30's in a couple of other Fender amp's. This amp sounds great clean and takes pedals well. The OD channel sounds really good when you set it for a nice break up for a good Rock sound. It's not a hard rock or metal amp, just a nice Blues Rock amp. When you set the clean channel nice and clean and then add pedals you can get the high gain sounds you want.
In my opinion the OD channel is decent at best. Maybe it will grow on me, but my Peavey Delta Blues sounds way better, warmer and more natural. I am not a high gain player, I just want a little warm, dynamic dirt. For the life of my, I don't understand why they design OD channels to sound like you are suddenly playing through and AM radio, know what I mean?

Redhouse, you should post your impressions of the HRD III here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=788231