Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Pub

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Silverback
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I'm saddened by this news. He was a really nice man, and he will surely be missed.
Great Dealings With: Paul Rhoney, toddtroutman, bgrant311, Irreverent, n.j., jgyn, thegame, greazygeo, BIGGERSTAFF, ronw, hdiddy, pigeontoe, Ian Anderson, tradarama, motofuq, alldonekid, magnus02, bunimoo, zoooombiex, guitar-rookie, Terry McInturff, and many others over the years.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

WOW, I am stunned by the tragic news. I had the pleasure of jammin in the basement with Barry & Adam. I remember lending him a van to schlep gear for the 2004 tonefest.
The man was a "mench" in all sense of the word.
Heartfelt condolences to Adam & Sonja
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Just found out the terrible news. What a kind gentleman he was, I enjoyed the little time we spent together at trade shows. Great player too...
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Robo Sapien Noise Maker

For those who couldn't attend, the ceremony today was well-attended and very beautiful. Given the circumstances, it was as good as it could be to see Adam, Sonja, and various jam mates from years back (Matt Charles, Rob A, Jim K, and a few others I saw but didn't get a chance to speak with). Our lives follow different paths -- personally, professionally, and musically -- and I hadn't seen any of them for a few years.

Did I mention the beautiful ceremony? In particular, I don't know how anyone could sleep tonight after Sonja's eulogy. Her touching description of their decades years together from beginning to their last moments together has me reflecting on the inevitable future separation from those we love that we all face.

Adam spoke of his father's vast and continuing influence on his life, then performed a few of Barry's favorite songs on acoustic and seemed to channel his dad on vocals.

I've stumbled on recordings of a few Casa Weber jam nights, and an open jam as well. I'll be posting them here. I'll leave each set up for about a week and then replace them, since I'm putting them on my ISP-provided FTP space and that's not a lot of room.

Appropriately -- since this is one of the songs Adam played today -- the first is a take of "Ain't Wastin Time No More" from Aug 6 2005. Barry does vocal duties, plays the first solo (slide) and I take the second. After the song, Matt Charles freaks out about the sound I was getting from Barry's very special Fuchs SLX, that Barry was typically generous enough to let me play through that night, and then we share some laughs (probably at my mispronunciation of "Fyooks" as "Fooks" even though I was one of Andy's first one or two customers and you'd think I oughta be able to pronounce his name correctly...)

Aint Wasting Time No More 20050806 removed

The second is from Mar 10 2007 and features Barry on slide. It isn't the finest take I've heard him take of this, but it's a good one nonetheless and I'm sure I've got at least one other around here someplace.

Slide On This 20070310 removed

"All life is problem solving." - Karl Popper

Great deals with: voodoosound, blusman, digiTED, Crowder, sonicblue73, wrxplayer, Gear91, gushtone, jimfog, Fred_C, lumberg, Ken Ireland, Roodboy, Stevoreen, wreck1, gregit, Schroeder, moredirt, rocketboss, jackaroo, Desperado, gdcx, 1sickpuppy, jw112, JZG, Jacob Van Noy, DANOCASTER, aaron1433, gkelm, GAT, rwe333, shallbe, onemind, chi, lv, ericb, esoteric pete, stark, matte, Mondoslug, landru64, bassomatic, jzucker, dyer_maker, muddy, michael.e, CALI68, KRosser, procos, riveratoasters, hbentley and several dozen others.

Last edited by rh; 11-03-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Man...I just saw this. Unreal. Barry was such a great guy and I will always remember the times I spent with him at various events. I'll miss you buddy!!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Wild Gear Hearder

Thanks a bunch for posting Richard; I couldn't stop thinking about Barry and family today and wondered how the ceremony went. I know Barry was very fond of you and really enjoyed playing with you because he told me so. I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to meet you at the one jam that got to attend during a brief visit some years ago.

I'm building ValClones!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Silver Supporting Member

EastCoast Ampfest Crew

Yes the Ceremony , Sonja give a heart felt eulogy & Adam spoke of his deep love for his father & best friend

Some of us that could make it from the TGP Eastcoast Amp Crew
Jackarro , Jaimoe , Jtodds , Jay , Hansoloist , Keith & Mac D

We all love and miss you Barry

But we will always feel you present's
In heart & soul

Last edited by Mac Daddy 355; 10-25-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 AM

God Bless Barry and his family
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Wow.

I missed this, with preparing/doing an out of town thing.

This forum is a lesser place without him around.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Gold Supporting Member

I am really glad to hear the service went well. With the amount of love, I can't see how it could have been any different. I only had the pleasure to hang with Barry a few times but like mentioned so many times, he made a lasting impression. A soul that loves music and life that was open and warm with everyone. I can be stupid shy at times and always remember when he would grab me at the TGP breakfest at the ny amp show. Thanks Barry. I will always remember him coming into the Celestion room (w./ the Dumble and Trainwrecks) with the strat on his neck with a huge smile saying HERE WE GO!!!! LOL!!!!!

Here are two pics. One of Barry playing through a 70's Bludo over at Jason's in the side room. Another of him watching me play that MD took. I showed this to a friend early last week and my heart sank when I saw Barry was in it.

Rest well Barry!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the updates on the ceremony.

Olga and I were so upset that we could not make the trip up to attend. It was impossible to get help to take care of the kids on short notice. For us it would have been an all day event with a good 6 hours of travel time.

We will always miss Barry and remember him fondly. His spirit will live on in all tonefests, ampshows, and jams!!!

Rock on Barry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Daddy 355 View Post
Yes the Ceremony , Sonja give a heart felt eulogy & Adam speak of his deep love for his father

Some of us that could make it from the TGP Eastcoast Amp Crew
Jackarro , Jaimoe , Jtodds , Jay , Hansoloist , Keith & Mac D

We all love and miss you Barry

But we will always feel you present's
In heart & soul

Endorsements: Glaswerks Amps, Bludotone Amps, Fuchs Audio Technology, Celestion Speakers, Carruthers Guitars, Hermida Audio, Curt Mangan Strings, Wagner Pickups
Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the ceremony descriptions.....

You know what is really upsetting? I found a message from Barry on my cellphone that I never answered.......

Baz was too alive to be dead.

Pete.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisonic View Post
I found a message from Barry on my cellphone that I never answered.......

Baz was too alive to be dead.

Pete.
Hold onto that one for awhile, brother.

Thanks, rh, for letting us in on the ceremony. My thoughts were, and are, with A and S and all of you that were touched by Barry's spirit.

DS

Most recent TEDx talk: TEDx yap
Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Gold Supporting Member

My gosh.

I've been gone from TGP for a while. I had no idea he was that ill and just read every post in this thread.

RIP Barry. You will be missed. There was an incredible amount of joy and helpfulness in your communications with me and other on the board.

I can't sum up a great man in a few words, but others here have done a superb job of capturing his spirit.

May peace and healing grace his family and friends.

AMPS: Matchless, Demeter, Victoria, Jamison. GUITARS: Asher, Suhr, Gibson, PRS & Martin. EFFECTS: Yes!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Thanks for the updates on the ceremony.

We will always miss Barry and remember him fondly. His spirit will live on in all tonefests, ampshows, and jams!!!

Rock on Barry!