Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Pub

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

RIP Barry...a great guy and a great player...we'll miss you buddy.

Last edited by Jimmy Somma; 11-07-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM

This news is so sad - Barry was a warm, genuine guy who's love of all things 'slide' was infectious. Even though we're over the pond in England we shared many phone calls about slides & slide materials ~ Barry even entrusted overseas shipping to send me his favorite Nunwell glass slides for us to look at & copy.....R.I.P Barry - you'll be sorely missed...

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Gold Supporting Member

I've just read each and every post in this thread and it's wonderful and amazing and yet tragic to see how many worlds Barry touched. I never new him, but already miss him.

There's a song by Bruce Springsteen, 'Terry's Song'. Listen to it because it seems to sum it all up.

"When they built you brother
they broke the mold"

RIP Barry.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but what a lovely tribute to Barry by Joe Coffey of Premier Guitar in the December 2010 issue at page 8. So true: for all of the reasons we've acknowledged, Barry was so wonderful and we'll always miss him.
\_.--.(
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 AM

This is a beautifully written testimony, as only a deep and dear friend could deliver.

I just learned of Barry's passing and am both shocked and saddened. It's reassuring to know that hes seems to have had his worldly and spiritual affairs in order for the voyage to the other side.

Thanks for sharing this most intimate reflection and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodds View Post
We all just lost a great one.

I was with Barry late afternoon yesterday. He was in good spirits, with that sparkle in his eye shining as bright as ever, radiating and filling the room around him with warmth in a profound way.
We spoke about everything. The gear lord that he was, couldn't help but chat about amps and guitars if only for a little bit.
I won't go into the more personal things.
I will say this, I have been speaking with Barry regularly before and since the beginning of this ordeal with illness, which came on suddenly and at one point seemed to be totally cured. Suddenly again it came back and with a terrible ferocity.
In times like these, faced with mortality and frightening illness a person is laid bare and the true make of a man can be revealed.

It was extraordinary sharing this time with Barry. He was as solid as a rock, given to incredible humour, often gallows humour, astoundingly never without grace, dignity and strength. He would always ask first and with great interest how me and my family were doing.
When we were saying goodbye yesterday I was holding his hand and the look and expression on his face was so full of warmth and understanding as if to comfort me to put me at ease. I will never forget that image and moment for all my life.
He was in my opinion at peace with himself and his situation. He spent much of his challenging time relentlessly and with all the effort he could muster working to get things in order for his wife Sonja and family. Sonja is also an extraordinary woman who was so strong, loving and positive for him despite her own personal and deep grief.
I believe the peace of mind he expressed was due to having lived a life of value and quality. Making a difference and having a positive influence on so many.
I will miss him dearly as will so many others.

p.s.one of his last wishes was to have a "going away" party at his studio. His band would play and so would everyone else who wanted to and have a good time. This was where his head was at, celebrate a good life well lived, not mourn it Sadly he didn't make it to that day but I hope everyone who knew him plays a chord or tasty slide riff while thinking of him and let the sounds he loved ring in tribute.

Here I'm just digging the heck out the tones only Barry could coax out of his axe:

Classic B:
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodds View Post
We all just lost a great one.

I was with Barry late afternoon yesterday. He was in good spirits, with that sparkle in his eye shining as bright as ever, radiating and filling the room around him with warmth in a profound way.
We spoke about everything. The gear lord that he was, couldn't help but chat about amps and guitars if only for a little bit.
I won't go into the more personal things.
I will say this, I have been speaking with Barry regularly before and since the beginning of this ordeal with illness, which came on suddenly and at one point seemed to be totally cured. Suddenly again it came back and with a terrible ferocity.
In times like these, faced with mortality and frightening illness a person is laid bare and the true make of a man can be revealed.

It was extraordinary sharing this time with Barry. He was as solid as a rock, given to incredible humour, often gallows humour, astoundingly never without grace, dignity and strength. He would always ask first and with great interest how me and my family were doing.
When we were saying goodbye yesterday I was holding his hand and the look and expression on his face was so full of warmth and understanding as if to comfort me to put me at ease. I will never forget that image and moment for all my life.
He was in my opinion at peace with himself and his situation. He spent much of his challenging time relentlessly and with all the effort he could muster working to get things in order for his wife Sonja and family. Sonja is also an extraordinary woman who was so strong, loving and positive for him despite her own personal and deep grief.
I believe the peace of mind he expressed was due to having lived a life of value and quality. Making a difference and having a positive influence on so many.
I will miss him dearly as will so many others.

p.s.one of his last wishes was to have a "going away" party at his studio. His band would play and so would everyone else who wanted to and have a good time. This was where his head was at, celebrate a good life well lived, not mourn it Sadly he didn't make it to that day but I hope everyone who knew him plays a chord or tasty slide riff while thinking of him and let the sounds he loved ring in tribute.

I just read this again and it is so touching and heart wrenching. I can't imagine setting foot in the NY Amp Show this spring without Barry organizing the TGP breakfast club. Perhaps we can organize it ourselves and can do something to dedicate it to Barry. Maybe have a big photo of him there and a place to sign our tributes to him? And have this year's photo of all of us at the breakfast club around the photo. I can't imagine the show without him, frankly. Maybe Lonnie can also do something in dedication to Barry.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Supporting Member

OMG.. I can't believe I'm reading this.. I don't read this topic that much...

RIP Barry
YouTube Channel - please subscribe here
ReverbNation - please fan me here
Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Slide On My Brother!

I'm devastated hearing this news. My heart goes out to Sonja and Adam.

I had the pleasure of knowing Barry and we became immediate friends during the '04(?) Florida ToneFest.

A True Gentleman, a fine player, and a great friend.

I remember quite a few awesome memories that I'll share with you all-

1. Barry and Tomo coming to my home studio and jamming with the St Pete crew 'til 3 am and just tearing it up!! He was playing my '59 ES355 thru my Tungsten High powered Cortez and I was playing my EDS 1275 that belonged to Jimmy Page, and Barry, Tomo and I were trading licks and he was soooo inspiring to me that night that I swear my playing improved a 100% after that. At one point there were 6 people playing guitar, 2 playing bass, and 2 playing drums!!!

2. Having the most amazing meal at Milo's in NYC with Barry and Sonja and my girlfriend. We were up in The Big Apple to see Duran Duran at MSG and Barry suggested Milo's for a great meal. We were ther for 3 hours and the drink portion of the tab was $400!!! I could barely walk or talk afterwards but Barry was hardly even fazed and just looked at my GF and said ever so kindly " I think its time to put Ricky in a cab before he gets thrown out of New York!!"

3. Going to see Roger Waters perform Dark Side of the Moon at the Jones Beach Amphitheater on a Full Moon, it was a misty and stormy night with Barry and Sonja. It was so beautiful seeing Barry and Sonja together that night, he absolutley adored her and deeply loved her.That was a magical night.

4. Sitting at the front table at BB Kings in NYC watching Sonny Landreth tearing it up and then going back to Barrys to jam into the wee hours.

5. Barry and Clem coming to my home studio in Florida and us doing a 45 minute version of Third Stone from the Sun, just fantastic!!

And there are so many more great memories, Barry will be dearly missed but you can bet your ass he will not ever be forgotten, the man is STILL a GIANT and I am happy and lucky to have known him and been his friend.

It puts a huge smile on my face just to think of him, I am not sad, he would not have allowed it. I just called his cell phone and left him a message and it made me very happy to hear his voice again.

Barry, you are, and will always be, one of my dearest friends!!!!
(727) 735-5350
Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

Just finished reading the tribute to Barry in Premier Guitar. Very touching... And fitting... Barry really had become very well known in our not so small corner of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Cats View Post
Let them eat Crate.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Just finished reading the tribute to Barry in Premier Guitar. Very touching... And fitting... Barry really had become very well known in our not so small corner of the world.
Hey Mikey, where can I find a link to said article?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

It's in the print version. But I don't see it on their website yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Cats View Post
Let them eat Crate.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I just found out from Premier Guitar and only knew Barry through the posts here. I'm heartbroken.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Back in the Great State
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Classy touch by Premier Guitar, well done.

* Check out my gear demos:www.youtube.com/traviswalknyc
www.newdakotaband.com
Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Marshall Circuited Mod
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

http://digital.premierguitar.com/pre...pm=2&fs=1#pg14

Nicely done.

Affilation: Scumback Trade Show Demo Monkey

www.reverbnation.com/242rocks
Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Great job by Joe Coffey and Premier.