Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

FRFR?

Sorry, newbie question here. I've seen "FRFR" on lots of threads, but haven't seen it defined anywhere. From the context, I gather FRFR refers to basically putting your modeller into a flat-respones power amp and monitors? Is this correct? What does the acronym stand for?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM
2-Voice Guitar Junkie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Full range flat response
this tgp thread is the most tgp thread in the history of tgp threads.
Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric & Acoustic with Variax Check out my music!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:03 PM

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/vi...hp?f=13&t=4443
Old 10-27-2010, 02:25 PM

In layman's terms:

Specifically, FRFR (or, "Full Range Flat Response") essentially means that you're using a good quality speaker or speaker system that has tweeters in it and doesn't color your sound in any way. It will produce a full spectrum of sounds (low to high) in as pure of a form as possible. Basic examples of this would be P.A. speakers and monitors, recording studio monitors, good home stereo speakers, and even decent headphones. A traditional guitar cabinet is not "FRFR"... as they have no tweeters and can't reporduce the high end in sound signals. They also will "color" the sound of your guitar. Each one will make your guitar amp sound different. So, the idea behind using an FRFR system is to be able to get your sound direct from your processor (with no guitar cabinets) and let the cabinet simulations (called IR's or "Impulse Responses") shape the sound to match whichever guitar cabinet you're emulating / trying to sound like.

As an example, the AXE FX comes with a number of IR's that Fractal Audio provided for people. There are also 10 user slots where people can put Impulse Responses (cabinet simulations) that either they create themselves or download/trade with each other. Some really popular user-made impulse responses have been provided over the last couple of years by people who even post regularly on this board. Some really popular ones right now that you can pay for are being provided by a company called "Redwirez (Red Wire Impulses)". Choosing the right impulse response can make a HUGE difference in how it all sounds. And, HOW that IR was made also has a big effect on it all. The IR is a digitally captured respresentation of a mic'ed up cabinet or speaker. Playing your guitar signal through that IR reproduces what happens if you send the same signal through that cabinet with that mic positioned the same way in front of it. The signal that comes from that mic'ed up cabinet would be the same as the signal that goes through the IR that's made from it.

Anyway, people who say they're running their modelling devices "FRFR" are not using traditional guitar cabinets. They're usually using powered monitors of some kind (with tweeters in them) and going direct into the PA system or recording device with their line level signal right out of the device (AXE FX, Eleven Rack, Pod, etc.), which has the cabinet simulation turned "on".

http://www.myspace.com/benjaminrowlett
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

While we're on this topic (and maybe this should be a new thread, I dunno), I've heard that stage monitors are NOT FRFR because they are specifically EQ'd to make sure vocals don't feedback. So, if that's true, they're not EXACTLY flat. Is this correct?
EFFECTS Diamond Compressor > EB Volume Jr (T1m mod) > DPC5 (Micro POG > Scarlett Love v1 > Scarlett Love v2 > Klon KTR > POT) > Punch Drive (pro build) > Memory Lane Jr > Diamond Tremolo (incoming) > Timeline > Big Sky
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I figured FRFR was from the context. I wasn't sure of the acronym.
I use Tannoy Reveal Active powered monitors for my hobby studio, and use them for the output of my UX1. I think the Tannoy's are pretty flat. They sure are clear.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM
2-Voice Guitar Junkie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultanderberg View Post
While we're on this topic (and maybe this should be a new thread, I dunno), I've heard that stage monitors are NOT FRFR because they are specifically EQ'd to make sure vocals don't feedback. So, if that's true, they're not EXACTLY flat. Is this correct?
not really. Sometimes there's an eq placed on them by the sound guy, but the actual speakers are often the same exact ones used in some PAs.
this tgp thread is the most tgp thread in the history of tgp threads.
Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric & Acoustic with Variax Check out my music!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM

Newbee here to this board. Dunno why I havent visited before. AXFX user.
Good forum.
FRFR to me is, using the modeler to fully control the girth and punch a speaker typically conveys to YOU. Without coloration by your favorite speaker and cab.
Plus all the other nice thingies in there...
I tweak my sounds with Studio monitors, then live they sound better with my cabs.
I've tried many, for me onstage I still stick with my 212 EV open backs and have great FOH without mics.

www.duaneramelot.com