Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Gibson SG Standard 1968-1969 Value?

Hi guys...I have an opportunity to buy a late 60's SG standard. The guy swears it's a 68, but the headstock logo is missing the dot over the "i," leading me to believe it's a 69.

All of the other features are 68...no volute, rounded heel, etc. It's had changed tuners (comes with the originals also) and is a little worn, but otherwise all original with case. Is there any definitive way to tell if it's 68 or 69?
There seems to be a big difference in price between those two years. Also, any ideas of the value? I really want it, but would hate to overpay based on it being a 68. Thanks in advance!
good deals with: DANOCASTER, Grumpyfatman, redchapterjubilee, bamablues, pnksntdead, partsocaster, ammscray, dhdfoster, Captain Bob, tagman, rheadley, Dr. Tweedbucket, ajchance, jackson, SatDoug, Scott M., juicyproducer, burstyburstums, jmoss5347, macerson, guitarglynn, gusthebear, Andrizzle, ItJustRocks, Operanonverba, many more.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

This is what is listed for 68/69 standards in the 2011 vintage price guide.

1968 w/engraved lyre in cherry = $5200 - $5700

1969 w/engraved lyre and 1-piece neck = $4700 - $5200

1969 w/engraved lyre and 3-piece neck = $3200 - $3700
Good deals with: Fenderblender68,Silenmtium, bungles, KenRothman, paxbd18, Foley, Crazyquilt, Nighttrain, Valve, willamps, HelloKittyHawk!, lsclub, studiojig, uncleshish, cpike, hvolin, Guitar Surgeon, jb83, Mr.Hanky, muku, nomotivs, jms6668, airzorba2, buckwild, Audiodog, brittwin, bbgie1223, Ed P, gkelm, SmoothOcean, Matticus, nationalnate77, natemeanie, martyman, dukeastaire, bluesthug, jimpridx, Kizanski, koa, mazman, jms6668, plagtr2, brentrocks,RockDC
Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Black Beauty Beats Burst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

here's some pics of my 1969 SG Standard. No volute, no MADE IN USA. Hope this helps.

\/``````\/
``X`X
```*
..>w<
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Gold Supporting Member

I have an SG special that is exactly the same juxtaposition as yours: late '68 parts and specs but a '69 serial number. Keep in mind it was not an exact serial number science back then. Sounds like it is a $500 difference from the post above, with those specs you can split the difference in the high 4k range and be ok. I would also look at the date codes on the pots.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cffluntouch View Post
I have an SG special that is exactly the same juxtaposition as yours: late '68 parts and specs but a '69 serial number. Keep in mind it was not an exact serial number science back then. Sounds like it is a $500 difference from the post above, with those specs you can split the difference in the high 4k range and be ok. I would also look at the date codes on the pots.
The pot codes date it at the 50th week of 1968. Everything on the one I'm looking at points to 68, except for the headstock logo. I also just found out that the neck pickup in not original. So, it has a changed neck pickup, 99% 68 features but the 69 logo. The guy wants $2K...do you guys think that's fair?
good deals with: DANOCASTER, Grumpyfatman, redchapterjubilee, bamablues, pnksntdead, partsocaster, ammscray, dhdfoster, Captain Bob, tagman, rheadley, Dr. Tweedbucket, ajchance, jackson, SatDoug, Scott M., juicyproducer, burstyburstums, jmoss5347, macerson, guitarglynn, gusthebear, Andrizzle, ItJustRocks, Operanonverba, many more.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Gold Supporting Member

I think 2k is more than fair personally. I paid more than that for my special, but it is 100%. You can buy a period correct TTop for the neck for $300-$400 and you are closer to 100%. It looks great in the picture!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cffluntouch View Post
I think 2k is more than fair personally. I paid more than that for my special, but it is 100%. You can buy a period correct TTop for the neck for $300-$400 and you are closer to 100%. It looks great in the picture!
Thanks for the reply, however, the one pictured is not the one I'm looking at (the one in the pic is beautiful, I agree). The one I'm thinking of buying looks just like it, though.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Gold Supporting Member

Oh I see. Oh well, I still think you are in good shape at 2k, and could easily turn it around for more.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Supporting Member

I'm going to check the SG out tonight and will report back tomorrow, hopefully with pics as I plan on bringing it home with me. Thanks guys, for the help.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Supporting Member

Guys, I bought this guitar last night. It absolutely screams! Quick question about the finish...were 60's Gibson finishes somewhat rough looking? This one doesn't look tampered with, but it's not the glossy finish I'm used to seeing on Gibsons. I have zero experience with 60's guitars, though.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

You promised pictures
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
You promised pictures
I did, but can't find the charger for my camera . Borrowing my girlfriend's camera tonight and will post pics later.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

$2K is a fantastic price for a 68/69 SG Standard even if the tuners and one pup are not original. However, based on your description of the rough finish it sounds like the finish is not original which would definitely devalue the guitar and explain the low price. Hard to tell without pics or feeling the finish, but the original factory finish should be nice and smooth.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
$2K is a fantastic price for a 68/69 SG Standard even if the tuners and one pup are not original. However, based on your description of the rough finish it sounds like the finish is not original which would definitely devalue the guitar and explain the low price. Hard to tell without pics or feeling the finish, but the original factory finish should be nice and smooth.
That's what I thought, but called my luthier and he said they weren't as smooth and glossy back then. I've looked hard at pics of other 68's, and the finish looks consistent with those...just need to see them in the right light. Also, there looks like 40 year old dust under the guard and the finish looks the same under the guard and in the control cavity. Who would do an overspray in the control cavity? The seller said it blacklights perfectly, but of course I didn't have one with me. Taking it to my luthier today to verify and will have pics and info up soon. Thanks again, guys!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

As a reference, here is my 69 SG. The finish is as smooth as any other high gloss finish Gibson that I have.