Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
I own the 100 watter and have not yet tried the 50 watter, but I am following along and finding it interesting that the 50 watter's Green channel does not have the levels of gain the 100 watter's Green channel does. If I keep the preamp volume around 8:00, and increase the master, the Green channel has plenty of clean headroom (and can sound very much like classic Fender cleans with the right EQ settings; scoop the mids a little). Around 9:00 and above it starts breaking up.

But, what I really like about the 100 watter's Green channel is the ability to crank the preamp gain and mids, and you end up with a great Marshall plexi classic rock tone. Sounds perfect for AC/DC and 70's/early 80's hard rock. Much more open sounding than the blue and red channels. It sounds like the 50 watter can't get that much gain on the green channel ?

I'll have to make another vid soon of the 100 watter so folks can hear how versatile the Green channel is. As for the post above, I think the blue channel has more than enough gain as is. I keep my preamp gain set around 6, and that is plenty for most hard rock/metal with hot pickups, but I guess some folks want even more (that's when you switch to the red channel

As for the volume differences between channels with the 50 watter: having owned Marshall Silver Jubilees, I thought this might be an issue with the shared "input gain" and volume controls when I first saw images of the 50 watt EVH. Sounds like a bummer, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fender/EVH come out with a revision that includes a trim pot that allows fine-tuning of the green channel's volume (similar to what Mesa did with the Electrodyne)
Agreed. The advantage of the 100w green channel having that much gain was being able to get a great AC/DC and 70's/early 80's hard rock tones. The 50w green channel cannot get these levels of gain on it's own (needs a boost).
60HzShuffle, Smiling Dave, hazmat33, bbgie1223, Dillow4092, neville5000, johnrambo, mbargav, Faraldi, Monkey Boy, portcitymusic, RBrooks, mhenson42, Last Nerve, Guitar Surgeon, Geosh, XSSIVE, suhrcrazy
www.reverbnation.com/danielsalcido
http://tonefinder.com/index.php?sear...et=0&display=5
Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaz View Post
I didn't expect a great clean channel, but it happens to have one. I don't even mind the shared EQ. What I do expect is to be able to balance the volume of all 3 channels.

If Fender comes up with a simple fix, I'll be thrilled. Otherwise, for live use, I'll have to stick to switching between 1 and 3 and miss the best channel in the amp. I'll have to use a pedal to emulate the sound of channel 2. Kind of silly, huh?
Not to bash this great amp, but I do agree with you. Otherwise, this amp sounds absolutely great!
60HzShuffle, Smiling Dave, hazmat33, bbgie1223, Dillow4092, neville5000, johnrambo, mbargav, Faraldi, Monkey Boy, portcitymusic, RBrooks, mhenson42, Last Nerve, Guitar Surgeon, Geosh, XSSIVE, suhrcrazy
www.reverbnation.com/danielsalcido
http://tonefinder.com/index.php?sear...et=0&display=5
Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM

I like all three channels on the 50 watt. I'm not looking for pristine clean, I like a little hair and for me it matches what I'm looking for. I don't notice a volume jump that bothers me like many complain about. If you're running bedroom levels perhaps but not when the volume is up. If you're looking for a clean, clean channel with a boost look at it like this, dial the gain down on channel 1/2 until you get it as clean as you want. When you hit channel 2 there's your boost. Think of the footswitch and channels 1/2 not as separate channels but as a gain boost ala 5150 II. Shared eq doesn't bother me at all either. I'd set the eq the same regardless so I have no issues. It's a bright, cutting amp, that's my only complaint. I don't have any of the eq controls over 4 maybe 5. Seems like an active eq because it seems to boost and cut.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
It's a bright, cutting amp, that's my only complaint. I don't have any of the eq controls over 4 maybe 5. Seems like an active eq because it seems to boost and cut.
Interesting. I'll have to demo the 50 watter when I can find one. For me, the 100 watter is a warmer, darker-sounding amp, and I typically have the treble and presence controls around 6 or 7. Could also be different speakers though (I'm using the EVH 4x12 Heritage Greenbacks).
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lution View Post
I have to scratch my head at this opinion. . . but we all hear things differently.

I happen to really enjoy the clean channel on my 5150 III 100-watter. It is a Fendery clean.
Ok well mine- one of the first ones out- did get breakup very early and sorry it just didn't sound that great compared to the cleans on other high gainers I have had. I also recall Pete Thorn saying he was not thrilled with the cleans on his 5153 either, so I know I am not just blowing smoke. Glad you like yours...
Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-beerdrinker View Post
Ok well mine- one of the first ones out- did get breakup very early and sorry it just didn't sound that great compared to the cleans on other high gainers I have had. I also recall Pete Thorn saying he was not thrilled with the cleans on his 5153 either, so I know I am not just blowing smoke. Glad you like yours...
No worries, like I said, we all have particular tastes and sounds we're chasing.

I have a very recent 100-watter and I keep the gain at 9am or below because I prefer my cleans with no hair at all. It certainly isn't the best clean I've ever used, but compares favorably and certainly isn't a shiity sounding clean. Plus if I need a really barky plexi sound, I crank up the gain and there it is, so its versatility is a plus as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM

The new EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head...

I just did some experimenting with the volume jump
on Channel one and Channel two and to me it seems
like they got it right.

It works for me, no complaints here.

I will post a new video shortly demoing the two channels.

Also, the sound mic'd up with an SM57 and a MD 421
is different than I would normally dial in.

I mic'd the EVH 4x12 and then went into another room
to check the sound through my Dynaudio monitors.

Sort of what they would do in a real studio.

I was able to dial in a pretty good "You Really Got Me"
sound from the first VH album.

Channel 2

Gain 5 , Bass 7 , Resonance 6 , Mid 9 , Treble 7 , Presence 5.5

Very surprised at how close it sounds.

I will post a video clip sometime tomorrow.

Craig
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Howard: Is a bit of tube rattle to be expected in these heads? I have a bit --- though I'm wondering if it's the wire that holds one of the 6L6 tube that is rattling. Haven't taken the covering off.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Location: Sydney, Australia by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
Yeah I think that would work as long as it matches the volume of channel 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaplan131 View Post
Is lowering relative volume of CH2, without impact on the dirty characteristics something that would be OK?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
BTW - the blue channel on the 50w does not feel like it's lacking any gain or in need of a boost like the 100w version did.

This is a very intreresting point, The blue channel sounds so good, i dont even think of putting a pedal in front of it .
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaplan131 View Post
Should be no rattle, unless the tube clip is loose. When you say tube rattle I believe you are referring to something external to the tube. If something inside the tube is rattling, you have a bad tube.

Are you sure it is a tube? Perhaps the front or back grille is rattling. Check and see they are tight.
Checked the grill --- it was ok.

It appears that it is the (looking from the back) the right 6L6 tube. I have the back grill off now and if I give it a bit of a rap it rattles a bit.

But there's no loss of tone whatsoever --- or at least as far as I can tell. The tube glows the same as it's partner tube.

I'm going to take the tube clip off and pull the tube out to take a look at it.

If it _was_ a bad tube --- other than the slight rattling, what are potential issues? If the tube were to be replaced, does that mean that the amp needs to be biased?

I'm hoping the answer to that is "no". It's a 2.5 hour drive to Toronto and the store I bought it from....
Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM

Ok, it's definitely the right 6L6 tube (looking from the back).

It's not a constant rattle --- when I try to get some feedback on the big E up higher than the 12th fret is when it seems most noticeable.

I was able to do it and then put my finger on the tube and make it stop so it's just a vibration issue IMO. Am I right thinking that?

The clamp is tight. Perhaps the clamp doesn't quite sit exactly the same as on the other tube. Tomorrow night I'll remove the clamp and see what happens.

I'm not really surprised that this could happen what with the rough handling these things probably go through during shipping.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM

I took out both tubes and the right one has a bit of a vibration.

If I hold it at it's base and gently rap it against my knuckle there is a (as best as I can describe it) slight metal vibration sound. Perhaps it's not metal but with those small, thin metal filaments in there...it seems to me that's what the noise is.

I'm going to try and make a quick vid showing it. Hopefully it picks the noise up.

If this tube needs to be replaced --- PLEASE tell me I don't have to take the amp somewhere to be biased. I really won't be happy if I have to do that.....
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbeckta View Post
The new EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head...

I just did some experimenting with the volume jump
on Channel one and Channel two and to me it seems
like they got it right.

It works for me, no complaints here.

I will post a new video shortly demoing the two channels.

Also, the sound mic'd up with an SM57 and a MD 421
is different than I would normally dial in.

I mic'd the EVH 4x12 and then went into another room
to check the sound through my Dynaudio monitors.

Sort of what they would do in a real studio.

I was able to dial in a pretty good "You Really Got Me"
sound from the first VH album.

Channel 2

Gain 5 , Bass 7 , Resonance 6 , Mid 9 , Treble 7 , Presence 5.5

Very surprised at how close it sounds.

I will post a video clip sometime tomorrow.

Craig
Cool post.

Bring on the clips!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Want one badly.