Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbax View Post
Why isn't my boy Eddie using this amp on tour? All I see is the 100 watts. Shouldn't he at least have a row behind him and pretend he's using them? I really need Ed to make a video saying how these are superior to the 100 watts and that they are superior to any previous endorsements. So am I right in reading that the gains aren't exactly the same as the 100 watt? I understand Howard said they tweaked the cleans, but why wouldn't the gains be the same and just lower watts? Please explain for the feeble mind.
Maybe Eddie was throwing everyone a bone with the 50 watt. Probably not, but I love the fact that it has more clean headroom in the preamp of the clean channel versus the 100 watter and it's much more compact and light weight.

Do you like it and does it do everything you want? That's all that really matters. To quote Yngwie, "If it sounds good, it's good."

For me, as long as I can get a balance live with channels 1 and 2, I'll be happy. I bought the head on impulse, so I've only played it through a Hot Rod Deluxe with a WGS Retro 30, using it as a speaker cab.

This weekend, I'll play it out through a Marshall 1960AX 4x12. I hope it works out, because every other channel switcher I've gigged, sent me right back to pedals through a clean amp.

One thing I'm curiuos about, and please excuse me if this has been mentioned, but is the 50 watter voiced around greenbacks like the 100? It seems as if they just went with a G12H30 in the 1x12 and 2x12, just to have more power handling than the 20 watters. Of course, in my opinion, people are still going to be cranking it up blowing the 30 watters. Has anyone actually bought the 1x12 or 2x12 and put in 65 watt Scumback M75s?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM

I really like the sound he is getting on the 50 watt in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqpzdU0TuEo

This sounds a little different than the many other clips I have heard of the amp. While I continue waiting (im)patiently to have an opportunity to try one locally, and putting "iPhone recording" aside, can those who do have experience speculate: is he on channel 2 or 3? is cutting the mids, diming the presence, or what is it that gives this clip such a tight, cutting tone?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Howard,

I'm going to ask a totally off topic question... Do you know when the new guitar colors are going to hit stores??? I'm really excited about these as well as this amp!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevusofota View Post
About the volume jump between ch1 and ch2 of the 50w. It is very noticable at low volumes but not as much at higher (though still noticable). This would be an issue for me in a live setting except I run an EQ in the loop for my ch1 clean sound. I adjust the EQ output to match the volume to ch2. Because I run a midi switching system I don't have to step on multiple switches to do this.
What MIDI controller are you using? I have never used MIDI before, but would be interested in a very simple and intutive system for simultaneously changing channels and switching a few effects on/off
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Here's an update on my tube rattle problem....

After some more self-diagnosis, it appears that my tube is not microphonic.

I swapped the 6L6 tubes and even though one has a bit of a rattle (heard when shaking), now the other will rattle a bit in the other socket.

So that leads me to believe that either the clip isn't screwed down tight (after checking, it is) or the entire socket might be vibrating.

Howard has been great with e-mail and he suggested tightening the clip by squeezing it a bit together so it puts more pressure on the tube base. Just did that...gonna see if it makes a difference.

I also got a high-temp o-ring from a nearby supply store and will see if it works as a tube dampener. I brought two home (two different sizes) and of course one was too big so I only have one on the tube for this test. Might buy a second one of the same size tomorrow.

So if anyone thinks that they may have a microphonic tube or has a rattling tube...swap tubes and see if it still does it. Perhaps you'll experience the same thing as me (which should be an easy fix).
Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Yep, the new evh colors like the natural finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaplan131 View Post
No clue. I am have no involvement with guitars.

Are you talking about an EVH model? If so, I can see if I can get some answers. Actually, any model, and I can ask the guitar dudes.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/subpage?partno=5107920858

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaplan131 View Post
Please narrow it down to a specific model and color(s).
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shood View Post
I really like the sound he is getting on the 50 watt in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqpzdU0TuEo

This sounds a little different than the many other clips I have heard of the amp. While I continue waiting (im)patiently to have an opportunity to try one locally, and putting "iPhone recording" aside, can those who do have experience speculate: is he on channel 2 or 3? is cutting the mids, diming the presence, or what is it that gives this clip such a tight, cutting tone?
sounds like ch3 too me with gain less than noon and EQ/presence controls at noon.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/orphanproject3
Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbax View Post
That natural finish looks nice
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

MY 5150 is supposed to arrive at Sweetwater next week....I am not holding out hope that this will happen
Good Deals withPSQUARED, MRAAJR, SONGMAN, SPYEMAN, RIPCORD, TWEEDLEDEE, MRBUNGEL, GUITARNOTSOGURU, ZEPSONGS, WENBINBIN2010, GUITARBLUE CAT, 90 WRECK, TXJASON, GAG HALFRUNT, EBERG15101, CHEESEFLAVOR, BRETTK7, 9 FINGERS, JEK, bRoWn-SoUnD, DASCHER, CODYRAPTOR, BOBBY D, JDJ, JEFEMAXIMO, CLAY49, CLAPTON IS GOD, DAVESTRINGS11.TELECOPTER, REDJPM, SWAMPLION, CAP217, BARTMCARTMAN,XSSIVE, BLANKFIELD, BRAYKS, TRAUMA LLAMA, PARKERBRO
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM

Location: Sydney, Australia by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
Just to update a previous post I made a couple weeks ago. I went to demo the amp today but the amp just sold

They will get some more in next week but I'm only here for the weekend, I go back to Sydney this Sunday. I wish I could hear and play it before buying. Im trying to stay away from buying an amp without playing it.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 AM

EVH Live

Just saw EVH live in Montreal.

Awesome show.

I would say the EVH 5150 iii 50
Watt sounds pretty close to the
100 watt.

One thing I noticed, no matter
what guitar or channel Ed used
he still sounded like Eddie.

Stop splitting hairs.

Get the EVH 5150 iii 50 watt which
is a great value.

End your tone search.

90% of your tone is in your
hands.

Spend more time practicing it is
the biggest improvement in tone
you will ever make.

Everyone is always searching for
the early EVH tone.

Grab the EVH 5150 50 iii watt , it is in
there.

It is up to you to get it out.

Craig
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM

Here is a pic from Montreal show last night it was a great show, i havent seen is main amps i guess they are well hidden , he has four on the side on green channel i guess they are backup, and the main riff on the song she is a woman he is using channel 2, the best channel.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Like Craig said!!!!!!! You are splitting hairs. This amp kicks ass. And if you are decent and have tone in your fingers,this is an amp that will allow you to express your self. It has EVH tone and others on to its own. If this week was 1965, you would probably give the Princeton Reverb questionable reviews.
Now go get the dang amp and be happy. You should be happy, maybe you'll play more.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Good to see that mic stand in Dave's hands instead of the headset....Yes the amp is killer no filler!