Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Zoom G3

I've been digging Zoom since I got the 9002 new back in the day. More recently, I had a G2 which I've since upgraded to the new G2.1Nu (should have purchased the G2Nu as I'm not using the pedal much).

At NAMM Zoom announced the G3. Anyone else interested?

Somewhat limited, like a Line6 M9 with amp models, only 3 effects at a time (including the amp). I need to review the detailed specs to see if it will work for me, but the price is right. Sweetwater has the best info / pics so far:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FRRg2godIg_6Gg

Rickenbacker & Vox & TC Electronics
...& an assortment of various and sundry kit
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM

My thoughts exactly on the similarities with the M9.

I like Zoom in general and have a G1Next to take on the road, lessons, etc. Sound quality is not at the same league as, say, Digitech products of similar prices, and I hope they've upgraded their hardware/software for the G3. But Zoom has very nice editing software and serving as a soundcard too, is a bonus.

I would consider the G3 both as a backup rig and for quickly laying out tracks both at the home studio and while on the road. It's price seems right for what it does.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM

at 199$ you can take 2 and have 1 1/2 M13 for the price of an M9....if it sounds good...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnet70 View Post
at 199$ you can take 2 and have 1 1/2 M13 for the price of an M9....if it sounds good...
I agree....and the adjustments look easier than with the M9 because of the dedicated displays and knobs. My M9 will likely go on sale.

I've always liked Zoom's sound, even though they've had some problems with the stigma of being low end. I still love some of the tones I recorded with my 505II back in 2003. I will definitely be checking this unit out...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnet70 View Post
Actually taking 2 would be even more flexible: 1 in front with comp, dirt and eq and 1 in the loop with mod, delay and reverb...midi connected for patch change..does they have midi?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM

The G2 sounded very good to me, and the G2.1Nu sounds even better. If you want vintage, organic clean or crunch I'd say look elsewhere, but for modern pristine (not sterile, but very SS) clean and distortion, the Zoom sounds great to me.

I know they are classified as low end, and I get my fix with my "better" or more costly gear (brands in my sig), but for situations where my vintage tube tones and high end effects aren't a good fit, the Zoom more than fills the gap.

Good to see some Zoom love around here. I also see that Mustaine has a a model, the G2DM and a few other sig versions are coming out...marketing gimmick, I know but still good to see Zoom trying IMO.

I plan to get the G3. One of the things that limits the G2 for me is the inabilty to bank down (I have the external footswitch which only does bank up), the inability to bypass the factory banks (my TCE Nova System has this feature), and the inability to randomly select presets.

A MIDI in where I could use my MIDIMouse to randomly select presets would be a huge improvement for my use...I can use presets without needing individual effect on/off, but to do so I need random access to presets.

I may sell the G2.1Nu and get a G2Nu (smaller footprint) and a G3 which I hope will fit on a small board. Then, get a loopmaster to have 2 loops, mono out, stereo in for each channel and be able to switch between the 2 Zoom boxes; use one and get the other ready for the next preset I need etc...maybe use the G2 for lead tone presets, and the G3 for rhythm where I can have a dist/od, clean amp and reverb and turn the dist/od on off as needed...no good option. All it would take is MIDI in IMO, can't be that difficult or expensive! Are you listening Zoom? Or Samson?!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Even though I don't use my g2 anymore, I have a soft spot for zoom going back to the gfx-707. Got a lot of mileage outta that thing & I can't bring myself to part with it.

So I'm always interested in what they bring to market & have to wonder:

is the g2nu the same as the g2, only with 'better' od/dist ? And are they noticeably improved ?

And does the g3 have the same algorithms as the g2nu ? What about cab sims ? If memory serves, this was a weak link in the g2 & one of the reasons I shelved it.

http://soundcloud.com/electric-i
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Supporting Member

I thought the G2 effects sounded very good and am happy to see the G3. The amp modeling/distortion leaves a little to be desired though, but I had a soft spot for their Marshall 1959 model.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric I View Post
Even though I don't use my g2 anymore, I have a soft spot for zoom going back to the gfx-707. Got a lot of mileage outta that thing & I can't bring myself to part with it.

is the g2nu the same as the g2, only with 'better' od/dist ? And are they noticeably improved ?

And does the g3 have the same algorithms as the g2nu ? What about cab sims ? If memory serves, this was a weak link in the g2 & one of the reasons I shelved it.

They tweaked the models, and did away with a few of them replacing them with more modern high gain options IIRC. I sold my G2 awhile back so I didn't have it to compare to the G2.1Nu.

From the pics of the G3, I'd say the tweaked the options...for example, in one pic the FD Combo amp has Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass controls, maybe more as I noticed there is a "Page" button; on my G2.1Nu, all I have for the amps are Gain, Tone, Level and I have to use the EQ for tone shaping.

I'm hoping they provide more effect and amp options with more parameters...still no MIDI though I'm resisting preordering until I read the manual.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric I View Post

The Nu replaced some of the vintage gain optiopns with more modern options, and they tweaked it overall...it sounds a bit better to me. but I sold my G2 awhile back and don't have it to compare to the G2.1Nu.

The G3 looks like it is getting better tweaking, for example the FD Combo amp (and other Drive models) on my G2.1Nu has Gain, Tone, and Level controls and I have to use the EQ to tone shape. In a pic of the G3, the FD Combo has Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass controls and maybe more as I noticed a Page button. Hoping they tweaked the effects and provide more of them with more parameters...still no MIDI control though.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM

this looks interesting, i wonder how much delay time it has, wish zoom would put up the manual on their site, i just checked, not there yet.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I was only able to find one video of the G3 on Youtube... sounded terrible. Hopefully it was just a bad recording & bad demo... Ive always liked ZOOM

i have a couple ZOOM 9150 Valve DSP processors & they are awesome
3rd Power American Dream, Bogner Shiva, KittyHawk, james trussart, greco, various custom tele's & LP's

Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySims View Post
i have a couple ZOOM 9150 Valve DSP processors & they are awesome
I had one of that together with an ADA MP1 in the old rack times...16u...by back is happy about modelers!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySims View Post
I was only able to find one video of the G3 on Youtube... sounded terrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBukXyRTLDo

it really sounds like crap...tuning the guitar before the demo would have helped as well....
Old 01-21-2011, 05:02 AM

Good grief that was a terrible demo. Hopefully we can hear something soon that at least uses a tuned guitar. Looks interesting given the features and small foot print.
Closed Thread