Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > Recording/Live Sound

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Resident Plumber
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Video Editing Software (Q3HD / Handyshare Content)

Hi All,

I recently picked up a Zoom Q3HD recorder and I've downloaded the Handyshare editing software from the Zoom (Samson?) website.

My 1st recorded video (about 3 minutes long) has a file size of 277MB's.
I used WinZip to compress the file but, it only compressed it to 258MB's, still too large for an e-mail, etc.

How do you guys get a video to a manageable file size? Say, maybe 2 or 3MB's? Are there specific settings on the Q3HD that will record to a smaller file size?

Is there better editing software available for use with the Q3HD or is the Handyshare my best bet?

Basically, I'm looking to record some clips (and edit certain portions out of the video) and e-mail the clip or post the clip to YouTube. Simple stuff, I would think....

I'm not privy to recording equipment so, if you can help explain this to me, please do so like you're explaining it to a 10 year-old.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I dont use the Handy Share software. If you convert the .MOV to .WMV orAVI you can edit in another program like Media Player.

On the other hand, you could use Quicktime Pro which would allow you to edit the .MOV files down to individual songs. You then could convert them for further editing.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Resident Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Fredericks View Post
I dont use the Handy Share software. If you convert the .MOV to .WMV orAVI you can edit in another program like Media Player.

On the other hand, you could use Quicktime Pro which would allow you to edit the .MOV files down to individual songs. You then could convert them for further editing.
Can you explain how I convert the .MOV to .WMV or AVI? Sorry for my naivety, but that is Greek-to-me. Thanks DF.

I have no problem with calling anyone for an explanation- in the event typing all this is too tedious.

Just looking for the simplest way to download, edit and upload without getting too elaborate.

As far as "editing" goes, I'm looking to record a jam and then "cut-out" the nonsense between songs- rather than shutting the recorder off (or pause) before and after each song. That's as complicated as I'm going to get with this editing software.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Silver Supporting Member

You need a program to convert to another format, like QuickTime Pro. Those programs are not expensive, but they are not free. There are freeware programs to convert files to other formats, but that is all they do
You might look at Windows Movie Maker, that may do all you need
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadams View Post
You need a program to convert to another format, like QuickTime Pro. Those programs are not expensive, but they are not free. There are freeware programs to convert files to other formats, but that is all they do
You might look at Windows Movie Maker, that may do all you need
Nope. WMM will not open the .MOV file from the Zoom.

Ive not tried to convert from QTP. Best bet is to purchase something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It will convert between several formats and also you can edit the .MOV file directly.

SVMS runs like $49.99 at some places.

So for me Salty... Load the .MOV file into SVMS and edit it up as you wish. Then save it as whatever you wish. Windows Media is smaller I think.

Sorry, Im just learning this myself. I did this with the Sony thing:

BTW, I checked and all you'd need is Quicktime Pro which is $30. You'll be able edit and export just fine. SVMS Would be for if you had more cameras and audio tracks.

Last edited by Dickie Fredericks; 03-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydogg View Post
Hi All,

I recently picked up a Zoom Q3HD recorder and I've downloaded the Handyshare editing software from the Zoom (Samson?) website.

My 1st recorded video (about 3 minutes long) has a file size of 277MB's.
I used WinZip to compress the file but, it only compressed it to 258MB's, still too large for an e-mail, etc.

How do you guys get a video to a manageable file size? Say, maybe 2 or 3MB's? Are there specific settings on the Q3HD that will record to a smaller file size?

Is there better editing software available for use with the Q3HD or is the Handyshare my best bet?

Basically, I'm looking to record some clips (and edit certain portions out of the video) and e-mail the clip or post the clip to YouTube. Simple stuff, I would think....

I'm not privy to recording equipment so, if you can help explain this to me, please do so like you're explaining it to a 10 year-old.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
The file that comes out of the Zoom is very heavily compressed already using some of the best technology available. You will only make it smaller by sacrificing quality.

For YouTube uploads, the file that comes out of the camera is an excellent format, and the size is not an issue - if the file is too big, use the advanced uploader.

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Salty the H.264 codec the Q3HD captures in, is fine. And it is fine to stay in that format.

For email the key is to reduce the size, frame and data rates and audio portion of the video.

QT Pro may be of interest to you because there are 3 options for exporting video files....2 of which use pre-sets. One being an email preset. Which offers small, medium and large.

Assuming QT Pro functions the same on PC's....it will convert and open the file in an outgoing email message for you automatically.

Here's an image showing the small and medium preset export.

The small from a 120 MB file is down to 3.85 MB's.

If you can't take that reduction the alternative is to skip email and use a hosting site or post on youtube, etc.

The reality is 277 MB is already very tiny.
list o stuff...Collings OM1-A. A couple of strats and an SG. JTM45 with some ol English Greenbacks. Princeton Reverb. MacPro and MBP. Metric Halo stuff. A couple of dem Peluso's, AT's and others. DP, Logic and some other things...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Resident Plumber

Thanks for the insight and advice, guys.

Nice work on that vid, Dickie.

I just ordered Quicktime Pro. When I receive it, I try and stumble through it. If I have any trouble, I'll bump this thread and hope you guys have subscribed. lol.

Have a great weekend.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydogg View Post
Thanks for the insight and advice, guys.

Nice work on that vid, Dickie.

I just ordered Quicktime Pro. When I receive it, I try and stumble through it. If I have any trouble, I'll bump this thread and hope you guys have subscribed. lol.

Have a great weekend.
QT Pro is gonna be fine for small edits. Yes the format is fine for uploading to YT. Now that were on it I need to use QT Pro and export to the different formats so I dont have to convert going to YT.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Resident Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Fredericks View Post
I need to use QT Pro and export to the different formats so I don't have to convert going to YT.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Resident Plumber

Hey guys,

Bumping a old thread of mine since I've had some time to use the Zoom Q3HD.

I went ahead and got the Quick Time Pro and, have been successfully recording and editing (cutting the dead time in between songs at rehearsals) but I have a few questions.

I've recorded using the High Gain setting (too much) on the Zoom and the Low Gain (maybe too little?) setting in my live recording environment. I will try the Auto setting at the next rehearsal. The internal settings found on the main Video Quality page (ie; Sound Quality / Sample Rate and Bit Length) I have not adjusted and continue to leave in the default settings.

Have you guys made any adjustments to the default settings thus, getting better audio quality? If so, what changes have you made or, what settings do you favor?

With HD720/60 being the default setting, would the audio improve using the HD1080/30 setting, or, will that only improve the video?

Many advance thanks for your advice...
-John

Old 01-02-2012, 12:46 PM

I think it's questionable that 1080/30 will improve the video. 720/60 might be more useful for capturing playing motion. Either will make the files larger and neither will impact the audio.

The major issue with the sound quality I've found to be due to the distance required for framing. It puts the mics farther from the source than we would normally place our mics, leading to a low direct to reflected ratio and a low level.

One trick I've used is to use a small field recorder as a powered mic, plugging the headphone out of my Zoom H2 into the line in on the Q3HD.
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...t-the-zoom-h2/

I've also fooled with framing distance by trying radical angles and by employing a very cheap stick-on wide angle lens.
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...the-zoom-q3hd/
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...de-angle-lens/

I've used REAPER and its video editing capability to tweak the audio. I found it to work well with the Q3HD video format, and a nice volume boost and a bit of tweaking helps out a lot.
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...o-in-reaper-4/

And finally, I used two broadband absorber panels behind the mics to reduce reflections. I found this to provide real benefit.
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Resident Plumber

Hey Fran,

Thanks for the speedy reply and your links. Much appreciated.

Even with the cons, the wide-angle thing may help my framework- not much but just enough.

I'll give the panels a try but, to smaller degree since my Zoom and tripod sit on a desk.

I'm not that concerned with the video portion- my buds and I are not supermodels so, hi-def video in not our friend, and usually the lights are pretty dim for the vibe-effect.

I'm primarily looking to remove/reduce some of the noticeable compression and catch the "live dynamics" of the music (guitars and amps specifically). There is big difference from what I hear while we're playing versus what I hear on the playback. I think/hope using the Auto setting may help but, I'll have to wait and see.

I caught more of the dynamics using the high gain setting on the Zoom but, the mic was clipping WAY to much. Using the low gain setting, overall, it sounded better but, more sterile during the playback.

For reference, my studio has a "typical" stage-type arrangement. Drum set in the middle-rear, 1/2 stacks on each side along with the bass rig. The PA speakers are mounted in the upper-rear corners of the same room.

The Zoom is ~10ft from the bass drum...

Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM

There's no compression going on, but I think what you're experiencing is the impact of simple volume. Our ears hear things a lot differently at different levels. I've been amazed at how a "dull lifeless" track springs to life when I just turn up the playback volume.

This ability to punch up the volume, clean up a bit of EQ, maybe add a little reverb, is what makes using REAPER such a winner.

The Auto One Way Down setting seems like it should be ideal, but I found I had to be really careful not to make a noise just switching settings on the camera or hitting the record button. If the camera mics "hear" a loud sound they'll duck the volume and make the clip quieter than the "low" setting.

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog