Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thumbs up Ampeg B12-XT..

Anyone know much about this amp? Does anything sound similar?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM

I had one back in the '60s. Very hi fi sounding, as most Ampegs were back then. That was the required sound then so I have no idea how it sounded pushed. It was clean and pretty loud.
"Play like you have something to say, not something to prove." ~ Unknown author. ... "I did think that when I was younger, there would be a day when I would sort of 'get it', and that everything would be cool, and I would have arrived at that promised land of being a great musician and I would just 'be'. And I can see now, that that is never going to happen."~Metheny
Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 AM

what do you mean by hi fi?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Supporting Member

Funny because i was about to post on that. I bought one locally after reading on them. It is a great amp, 2 channel (that you can blend) with reverb and a very psychedelic tremolo (or more Vibrato). I think they where only made during two years. Mine is a 1967. I would agree with the OP when he said it sounds HI-FI, it is hard to describe but it is a very clean amp and it was said too much about some amps but it takes pedal extremely well. So far it is the best pedal platform that i have tried and i've tried many. Also they are very unique looking, and the Ampeg logo light up when the amp is on (just think it's cool !!). I have only got the head and not the original cab so i plugged mine in a 2x12 with a Webber alinico blue dog and a celestion G12h30 and it is an AMAZING match. If you have any specific questions let me know because i am not good with adjectives that describes sound but if i had to say one thing it's that i LOVE this amp.

Hope it helps
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead625 View Post
what do you mean by hi fi?
Very uncolored. Fender BF has a big mid scoop, Marshall has it's thing, Vox is "chimey", Fender Tweeds have a lot of mids. The B12XT just amplifies whatever you put into it and changes nothing.

It was a great amp for jazz (reverb was just being accepted then in the jazz world) and a great amp for squeaky clean surf music.

You'd almost assuredly need pedals to cop any post 1970s sounds.
"Play like you have something to say, not something to prove." ~ Unknown author. ... "I did think that when I was younger, there would be a day when I would sort of 'get it', and that everything would be cool, and I would have arrived at that promised land of being a great musician and I would just 'be'. And I can see now, that that is never going to happen."~Metheny
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Country bands used them back in the day too.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM

The vibrato is sweet on this one.

Amps I have designed - Crate Vintage Club, Vseries, Palomino, Ampeg Jet, Reverbrocket, SuperJet, B15R, Ampeg J20 (ptp) SVTDI, SVTMP

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

I don't have any experience with that particular Ampeg. But, I do have a few older Ampegs and I quickly checked your schematic. It looks similar to a lot of Ampegs.

I've never thought of them as "Hi-Fi" sounding but I do understand the "uncolored" comments. The baxandall tone stack takes a little while to get used to as it's a lot different than the typical Fender/Marshall tone stack. But, it's much more versatile once you get a handle on it.

My Ampegs have great cleans also. But, crank the amp up a little (especially with humbuckers) and they will grind with the best of them. (Actually better IMO).

If you've got a line on one you should really try and play it. Most people that hear my Ampegs are really surprised.

AL
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM

ya i played through a ampeg jet about a month ago... i know its not the same as vintage ampegs, but it was darker than a fender and i really liked it. Im looking for an ampeg with reverb. I just cant get that amp out of my head lol. Trying to figure out what model is best for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM

The Gemini amps have reverb on them. If you can find one these are beautiful sounding amps. The Gemini 1 is about 20 watts in a large 1x12" package. Nice trem, sparkly cleans and a fantastic, thick breakup if you need it.

The echo jet also had reverb.

GGJaguar has a really handy site for older Ampegs.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/ampeg.htm