Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Also, if all the above can be done but I'd need six total switches to accomplish what I need (change patches up/down, tap tempo, looper functions), can a six-button controller do these functions?

If so, that would put total TL functionality on my board and allow me to put the TL in the rack.

My issue is that most of my amps have no loop and I can run all my pedals on my board, but I also use a Bludotone head that has a loop and I'm thinking of building a small rack for it to house the delay and a reverb pedal just for when I use that particular amp. Maybe I'd be better off keeping the TL on my board and running four cables to my pedalboard. I've got plenty of buffer going on.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterArea View Post
You'd have a devil of a time landing on the right preset without being able to see the display though.
Crossed my mind, but I'd just have to turn around and look at the rack to know what patch I'm on.

Honestly, the best thing would be to just keep all pedals on the board and maybe get a DMC-3 to free up the looper functionality while in preset mode.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by localmotion411 View Post
Crossed my mind, but I'd just have to turn around and look at the rack to know what patch I'm on.

Honestly, the best thing would be to just keep all pedals on the board and maybe get a DMC-3 to free up the looper functionality while in preset mode.
Probably. To answer your earlier question, the DMC-6 can indeed do all those magical and revolutionary things The -3 is a lot easier to squeeze on a crowded board, though.

Alexander Pedals Handcrafted Effects Pedals.

Please do not PM me with sales or support questions - email through my website.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Gigged the DMC-3 this weekend for the first time. Overall - it was great - did exactly what I needed.

One minor feature I accidentally discovered - the first time you use the controller it defaults to patch 63? Maybe that's just me and some way I'm misusing it.

Also, if you change patches with the DMC (to 48A), and then you change patches down using the TL (to 47B), when you go back to the DMC and change patches down, you'll still be on 47B (48A -> down 1). If you changed patches up instead, you'd be on 48B. It doesn't acknowledge the manual changes, which in this case came from over-stepping on the tap tempo and changing the patch accidentally.

Again, that's not a bad thing at all, but it's important to note how the brains work with the Timeline MIDI options so you know what's up when it doesn't do what you expect.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARch View Post
Also, if you change patches with the DMC (to 48A), and then you change patches down using the TL (to 47B), when you go back to the DMC and change patches down, you'll still be on 47B (48A -> down 1). If you changed patches up instead, you'd be on 48B. It doesn't acknowledge the manual changes, which in this case came from over-stepping on the tap tempo and changing the patch accidentally.

Again, that's not a bad thing at all, but it's important to note how the brains work with the Timeline MIDI options so you know what's up when it doesn't do what you expect.
Yeah, the DMC has no way of knowing if a patch change has occurred on the TL independently. I was having trouble with that - my big feet are constantly banking up or down accidentally on the TL - but like changing patches so much on the DMC that I just "disengaged" TL banking in the global menu. Problem solved!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Got mine, it's a bit customized. I'm still working with Matt (such a great guy!) ironing some little things but otherwise everything is great. I had my DMC-3 set so that I don't have to even step on the timeline for any reason. All "steppable" options like bank up/down, activate a/b, tap tempo and looper controls are contolled by the DMC!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoydotp View Post
Got mine, it's a bit customized. I'm still working with Matt (such a great guy!) ironing some little things but otherwise everything is great. I had my DMC-3 set so that I don't have to even step on the timeline for any reason. All "steppable" options like bank up/down, activate a/b, tap tempo and looper controls are contolled by the DMC!
Is that all software based or were there hardware changes, too? I'd be interested in hearing about how tap/etc works!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Afaik it's all software. I am sure I can load the default firmware and it should work just haven't tried it yet.

We used the "Remote Tap CC" on the top footswitch, hold to change modes.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoydotp View Post
Afaik it's all software. I am sure I can load the default firmware and it should work just haven't tried it yet.

We used the "Remote Tap CC" on the top footswitch, hold to change modes.
What does that look like as far as switches/modes go, if you don't mind describing it? I've got the stock setup:

Blue - patch up/down (A's & B's)
Green - rec/stop
Red - reverse/half speed

Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Like I said, we are still working on some little things but the one mode that is already working like a charm and what I have originally requested (the others are new requests)

Def Mode
Button 1 - preset A (on/off) : hold to Bank Down (scrolls slowly while holding)
Button 2 - preset B (on/off) : hold to Bank Up (scrolls slowly while holding)
Button 3 - remote tap : hold to switch mode

The other mode (not done yet) is to squeeze all looper controls in one mode. So in the end, I'll only have 2 modes in total.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf View Post
Yeah, the DMC has no way of knowing if a patch change has occurred on the TL independently. I was having trouble with that - my big feet are constantly banking up or down accidentally on the TL - but like changing patches so much on the DMC that I just "disengaged" TL banking in the global menu. Problem solved!
This is absolutely correct. The DMC has an internal counter that goes from 00 to 127 (00A to 63B) in Program Mode. It can't keep track of local changes on the TL since there's no connection to a MIDI IN. If you step on the left button right at power-up, you'll go from program 00 down one to program 127 (63B.) If you step on the right pedal at power-up, you'll go to program 01 (00B.) If you make a local change and then press the button on the DMC, you'll get the DMC's next program by its internal counter.

zwolf's pedal has its program mode altered to only yield specific programs during the scroll. Would you guys rather have access to just the lower 50, or all 100 patches? I can work in Strymon's bank switching setup on the next big firmware release. Right now I just run the counter from 0 to 127 which makes it compatible with standard MIDI programs. If you want banks above 63, then the DMC has to send a "bank select" CC message first. Not a problem but you end up with a whole lot of scrolling to do if you're in the 50s or 60s and want to get somewhere in a hurry.

What do you guys think?

ALSO: Send me pics of your pedalboards with DMC controllers! I'd love to have them on the Gallery page. You can share them to me on Facebook or email them to me through my site - just let me know you want to send a pic and I'll reply with an email addy.

Alexander Pedals Handcrafted Effects Pedals.

Please do not PM me with sales or support questions - email through my website.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterArea View Post
This is absolutely correct. The DMC has an internal counter that goes from 00 to 127 (00A to 63B) in Program Mode. It can't keep track of local changes on the TL since there's no connection to a MIDI IN. If you step on the left button right at power-up, you'll go from program 00 down one to program 127 (63B.) If you step on the right pedal at power-up, you'll go to program 01 (00B.) If you make a local change and then press the button on the DMC, you'll get the DMC's next program by its internal counter.

zwolf's pedal has its program mode altered to only yield specific programs during the scroll. Would you guys rather have access to just the lower 50, or all 100 patches? I can work in Strymon's bank switching setup on the next big firmware release. Right now I just run the counter from 0 to 127 which makes it compatible with standard MIDI programs. If you want banks above 63, then the DMC has to send a "bank select" CC message first. Not a problem but you end up with a whole lot of scrolling to do if you're in the 50s or 60s and want to get somewhere in a hurry.

What do you guys think?

ALSO: Send me pics of your pedalboards with DMC controllers! I'd love to have them on the Gallery page. You can share them to me on Facebook or email them to me through my site - just let me know you want to send a pic and I'll reply with an email addy.
My instinct is to say "100!", but I'd be surprised if I needed more than 20 for a single gig. For some reason I started my patches at 49 and have been working my way down. I should probably copy those to 1-10 anyway. I keep >50 in stock format in case I want to go back without restoring.

I know there's only an RGB LED in the center right now, but how hard would it be to add a 4th mode (LED off?). That's mostly for getting tap added without a "hold" function (the reason I got the DMC in the first place), and maybe a bypass on/off independent of patch selection.

A nice grainy HDR photo:

Last edited by ARch; 10-18-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

I could get along w/ that board quite nicely.
Disclosures: Tone Report Contributor + friend of Disaster Area Design || YouTube
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxshdxmmy View Post
I could get along w/ that board quite nicely.
I thought you might - we've definitely shared some territory in your Youtube clips. Had a big POG until a few months back, and was VERY close to a Blue Sky... but can't justify it with the sounds I currently get. I'd be all over an El Cap, too, if not for the Timeline.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Just wanted to use this thread, to give props to Matthew Farrow's customer service and his DMC product. Matthew, went above and beyond what anyone should expect from a company's customer service/product support.

I'm a complete MIDI newb and it took some hand-holding to get me what I wanted out of the DMC. I had one of the first DMC-6 builds and once I got it; decided there was some features I didn't need and some, I did. Matthew, had new code (.PDE) emailed to me, with detailed instructions, almost instantaneously. I'm am beyond non-tech and consider it an achievement posting photos here on TGP. Loading the new build firmware/code wasn't too difficult for this Luddite.

I ended up with the #6 stomp, changing between preset mode and looping mode. Now, I have the looper funtions, sans pre/post on Mode 0 and five presets on Mode 1. I'm stoked!