Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Pod HD500 into a Fender Mustang

For those that do this, how does it work? I have a POD HD500 and right now am running it though a cheap PA. It does not have the 'amp' feel. What confuses me about this setup is that you are putting a modeler into a modeler. On the Mustang is there a way to bypass the preamp and just run it into the power amp disabling all modeling? On the HD500 do you run the full sims and have the cabs\mics on or off? I was also thinking about getting a tech 21 power engine, but came across one or two reviews of people that use the HD500 in front of the Mustang and love it. If it is that great I would rather go this route. Any info on this setup would be greatly appreciated.
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Tele
2012 Marshall DSL40c, Green Rhino, Zoom G5

Last edited by GodinSession; 09-07-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 AM
2-Voice Guitar Junkie

Try a better FRFR first.

I think that the Mustangs are not built to last, as cool as they are. And I think that modelers shine through good FRFR solutions, not through amps.

But... for some people, there's an "amp thing" (which, I hate to say, I think is mostly related to volume and air movement) where a modeler just won't work for them. maybe you're one of those.
LOVE YOUR AUDIENCE GTRS: Tom Anderson: Crowdster + 2, Hollow Atom CT, T Classic Wechter: Pathmaker (US) TOYS: FBT, Line 6, xotic, Planet Waves, Mission, Lava, Fishman, Yamaha, Electro Harmonix, This1sMyne, Elixir, D-Tar, etc...
Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric & Acoustic with Variax Check out my music!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM

I've been running an RP150 thru the II and I think it sounds really good...
at home....not gigged with, but I'm thinking it would sound really good live also.

I took the 150 and ran it thru the drummers little pa for practice and it sounded good....so...?!

YMMV............yada.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Supporting Member

500 out to mustang aux in. I ran a 500 to a qsc k12, not great. Mustang is cool, make sure it is fizz free. Do a search for mustang fizz.
Big deals and trades with : Mastervolume, DANOCASTER, PedalFreak, ModdedMarshall, fevzay, ib61906, djlynch, Black Squirrel, rdamato, XS Chop, Snottyboy, THUANG, supertrucker, friend33, Guitar Josh, branbolio, Razor, 3th3r, Tlon, samm57, grego7, dylmit, peanutavalon, garrettagreen, mocaster, 8nthatK, hot_tube_tone, Boleary2, bungles, supersonic1414, stratmatt
Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Mustang 3 and higher have an FX loop. According to Fender there's no processing after the FX return: http://www.fender.com/community/foru...594333#p594333
Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM

I've been running this set up for close to a year and I LOVE it! Run you 500 in combo amp mode and set the master volume to 10 run your output to the AUX input of the MIII and use Mustang's master volume to control it. I usually use the cab models on the 500's amp sims, but it sound pretty good with them off too.

If you really want do get adventurous like me run this set from the Right 1/4 output of your POD 500, then send the Left 1/4 Output to the MIII guitar input. Then design your patches with all effects and no amp sims and set the mixer to only feed the left output and you can take advantage of the MIII's amp sims while using all the effects on the POD 500. Then design other patches panned to only the Right output with POD amp sims and you've got the best of both worlds. I use the MIII Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, and Bassman with a sweet compressor/2 tube screamer/wah/univibe patch from the POD HD and get four quickly switchable amp characters. Love it! Then I'll switch back to all POD HD thru the MIII aux input for any high gain amps. Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I've been running HD500 in o Mustang III FX Return on my gig for about 6 months now. It's by far the best sounding rig I've every had. I've had several modelers, several different FRFR's and 4 different tube amps. This is better than anything else I've used. Also the HD500 as an FX unit into the front of the Mustang three is wonderful!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

I just played a MIII and I was blown away. My last amp was a Metro JTM45 but I am not playing out except for church and so I was looking for something inexpensive and nice. By chance I started playing a MIII and I loved it. Oddly, I played a MIV and was not as impressed. Anyway, I love this thread. For those who are considering a HD500 or a MIII, this is a great option.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM

So Doochey You are using the 4 cable method?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Wyatt I was also so blown away when I played the mustang III I bought one and sold my HD500. I can not believe the tones I can get out of this amp. It sounds huge! I LOVE this amp!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 AM

Any chance of "fizz" when using the effects return or is that limited to the modelling section of the Mustang?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 AM

I do NOT have any fizz in mine. I have not used the effects return either though.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 PM

I really liked the tones too. The tweed amps especially sounded amazing! I A/B'd the DR model against a DRRI and it sounded very close. I actually liked the MIII's model of it better probably because you have mid control.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM

I have both but there are just so many features on each that putting them together seemed like overkill.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Supporting Member

In regards to the sound difference between the Mustang III and IV, the big issue is the speakers.... 1x12 or 2x12. In two cases, in a Mesa Lonestar (latest version) and between the Mustang III and IV, I have preferred the 1x12 tone. It was cleaner, more defined, tighter. Even in my acoustic search for a good amp I preferred the single 8" 30 watt to a more powerful 2x8 80 watt.

Is it just my ears or is there a real reason for this???

Brad