Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Help! 3 pickups 3 pots. Do I go with 2 tone and 1 vol; or 2 vol and 1 tone? Why?

I am building a guitar with three single coil pickups. I am going to have three knobs on the guitar. I am going to have a 5 position switch with the following layout.

Switch 1 - neck only
Switch 2 - neck + bridge (tele middle)
Switch 3 - middle only
Switch 4 - middle and bridge (strat quack)
Switch 5 - bridge only

The middle pickup will be wired direct without tone or volume.

I am trying to decide whether to do :

1 master volume and a tone pot for the bridge and neck. Or

Two tone pots and a master tone.

Or I guess I could dump one pot and just go with one tone and one volume.

Which would you choose and why? I have seen it done both ways.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by straightblues; 10-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i don't think we can answer that question.

how do you want it?

do you like to have two volumes, so you can switch from a quiet sound to a loud one, or have two pickups on and change the blend between them? (i.e., gibson-style)

or do you like to have one volume, so you can always control overall output with one knob no matter which pickups are on, and so you can turn a two-pickup sound up and down with one knob? (fender-style, which i like, even on my gibsons)

actually, there's a third detail which many don't think of: are you hip to, and do you like, the "50s wiring" thing? because an arrangement with multiple volumes and one tone requires the pickups to be wired '50s-style, with the tone pot on the outputs of the volumes instead of the inputs.

this makes the pots interactive, where turning down the tone a little makes the volumes drop off faster from "10" than before, while turning the volume down a little makes the tone act like another volume knob for the highest part of its travel.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterw View Post
i don't think we can answer that question.

how do you want it?
Well I don't know how I want it that is why I am asking the question. I have played Hamer guitars with three pots (2 volumes, 1 tone) and strats with 1 volume and 2 tones. I've liked both. I have mainly been a Gibson guy with 4 pots and a tele guy with 2. So I don't have a real strong preference for either at this point and could get used to either.

What I am asking is for everyone to answer it for yourself and tell me why you would do it that way.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightblues View Post
Well I don't know how I want it that is why I am asking the question. I have played Hamer guitars with three pots (2 volumes, 1 tone) and strats with 1 volume and 2 tones. I've liked both. I have mainly been a Gibson guy with 4 pots and a tele guy with 2. So I don't have a real strong preference for either at this point and could get used to either.

What I am asking is for everyone to answer it for yourself and tell me why you would do it that way.
I would go with one tone & one volume. That's my personal preference. Simple layout that allows for very fast tone & volume adjustments.
I have two Hamers and HATE the two volumes. I plan on modifying them in the near future to have one tone & one volume.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...&postcount=256
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 PM

I'd say it kind of depends on what you use the volume knob to do. I don't play the strat setup but with the Gibson style electronics, I think having the volume to be able to blend the pickups in the middle position is a good thing as you can dial in the amount from each pickup.

Now if you play live and want and use the volume knob to do swells etc., it won't be the way to go. I don't really do that, so it isn't a big loss to me, but I know there are some Strat players which that is a tool in their playing.

I'd guess the way some of those Gretsch guitars are wired would be a compromise, as they have that other master volume knob.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Volume swells are a part of it for sure.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM

My preference is for two volumes and one tone (or two tones) with humbuckers.

But I have played strats since 1974 and never felt the need to change from the one volume, two tone set-up.

As mentioned, it depends on whether blending two pups together is preferable. On a strat, I control the blend by the height of the pups, and have never had a reason/need to blend them further once I set them for "quack". On a two hum guitar, I prefer having multiple blend options.

IMO and YMMV.

Best wishes on figuring out what you want. You can always try one way, and then switch it to the other if it doesn't work out as desired.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

one volume--when you're changing the volume to solo or backup you don't want to have to guess which knob to turn--and the volume knob should be as close to your right hand as possible. I would wire all three pickups into the volume--if you want to control volume from the guitar I don't see why you wouldn't do it for the middle pickup as well. As far as tone--I like separate tone for all pickups so I can set them and leave them. (Of my three guitars none of them have spearate tone on all pickups--s strat a gretsch and a tele). If you're committed to 3 knobs I'd put one tone on the bridge to tame the treble--I sure wish my stat had tone on the bridge--and one on the neck, to get that mellow jazzy sound. If I only had one tone knob I'd probably just run the bridge through it--I personally don't hear the need to decrease the treble on neck and middle.

If you want to see what can be done with the pots on a guitar watch some Bill Kirchen videos--the guy never stops turning the knobs and switching pickups,, even does a pretty good wah wah with the tone control. Not easy to do--I've tried.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am leaning towards 1 volume and either 1 or 2 tones.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM

If you are going with one tone, I would wire it to control the bridge only, not the bridge and neck as you mention in your first post. Otherwise you will be constantly adjusting it whenever you switch between these positions. When you play, just set your pedals and amp controls to a tone you like from the neck pickup, and then adjust the bridge tone to tame the highs a bit.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM

All my strats get rewired master volume/master tone/blender. Very versatile. I could not do without the neck/middle sound, by the way. And I love the bridge/neck combo AND bridge with a little bit of neck AND also neck with a little bit of bridge that the blender allows.

But that's why they have chocolate AND vanilla. Wire it how you want.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 PM

Depends on the pickups.

I find the tone controls MUCH more useful on single coil guitars.... on Humbucking guitars, I'm fine with volume only... tone knobs are take-em-or-leave-em.

So... three pots with Humbuckers.... Vol-Vol-Tone

Same with Singles - Vol- Tone-Tone (with one for bridge and the other for the neck pickups, ala Eric Johnson.)
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 PM

I'd do Vol-Tone-Something different.

For example, you could put in a bass cut pot. See this: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/...-bass-cut.html
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Volume, tone, blender. All 3 pups at once? Ah yeah! Search youtune for a blender equipped strat, very cool.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM

FWIW. A couple of years ago I built a 3 P90 guitar and drilled 5 holes, 3 volume, 1 tone, and a switch. The original idea was to have the (RW) middle always on, the blend in one or both of the other two as desired, using the switch to move from neck, to bridge, or both....Big mistake.
The middle always on just defeated the Stratty quack I wanted, and the complicated wiring "weakened" the output (I know it couldn't - but I'll call it that anyway). Without reliving the details, I finally wound up completely rewiring to have one tone, a switched middle, and three separate volumes. It's much (much) better that way, (although in the future I"ll go with just one volume and one tone). Simple to wire and more importantly, simpler to use. Like I said, FWIW. If you'd like the diagram, lemme know.