» TGP Rules of Conduct
Rules of Conduct on TGP
Last Revised on June 14, 2012
Please note that The Gear Page website is viewed under the laws of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act as a "distributor" and is protected under Federal law from legal action claims for "defamation" or "libel" made by members. However, members who post things that may be considered to be defamation of character or libel CAN have legal action taken against them by an individual or company. It is not our job to defend people against defamation/libel or to protect the privacy of a member who posts same if we receive a legal subpoena for that person's personal information on TGP (IP address, email address, etc.). To better understand the laws governing your rights and potential liability, or our position on liability, you can read information on the following website: citmedialaw.org
The following rules will help you understand what we allow and don't allow. If you find a post missing, you either deleted it or we deleted it. We may not inform you of our deleting a post or set of posts if we feel that you broke our rules.
1. Antagonizing other members or resorting to personal attacks is always the overriding violation that will draw infractions. Say what you need to say without insulting someone else. Repeatedly posting the same argument over and over and over is considering arguing. Following someone from thread to thread to argue with them or insult them is not allowed. The same rules apply to any communications with other members via PMs and emails. Private Messages or emails are private. Posting someone's PM or email without expressed written permission is a serious "no". Posting someone's personal information is not allowed.
2. No flame bait. Antagonizing members by posting flame bait is bad form and forces us to contact you. Flame bait is any post that is intended to draw argument or get a rise out of other members. It is expected that members will not post threads or write posts that are likely to entice other members to break our rules.
3. Language and photos must be safe for work. No spam, bigoted remarks, and no religious or political discussion either. Trademark or copyright violations can get you and us in trouble. When we find out about it, we're likely to put the brakes on your posting. You may not offer to sell any item that violates a trademark on this website, even if you note that it is a "fake". This is considered illegal.
4. No Spam. Posts for buying, trading or selling are only allowed in the emporiums. Soliciting members via Private Message is spam. Spam in signatures is still spam. If it's not music gear, it's spam. "Price check" posts that look too much like an ad will be deleted and treated as spam.
5. Only one user account per member. Multiple User IDs are not allowed and will convert a temporary suspension into a permanent ban if you open a new user account while under suspension. If you want to change your user name you need to contact an administrator to do that for you.
6. No forum wars. Donít bring drama from other forums to TGP. Weíll delete those threads if we see them.
7. If you feel the need to mention a bad business dealing youíve had with a company or individual, keep it professional. Do not get personal and donít attack the people involved, just describe the situation factually. Personal attacks & insults will always draw infractions, even if youíre right.
8. Rules for Businesses. We hold business members to a high standard. Please read the following:
a) We encourage participation by builders and retailers in answering member questions but are strict about spamming. Feel free to respond to direct questions about your products but please do not post about your products unless answering a direct question. Mentioning your products when not directly responding to a question about YOUR products is considered spamming. Mentioning prices or soliciting purchases in any way is considered spamming if outside of the emporiums. The only exception is that we allow businesses to post "tour box" (free try out) threads in regular topic areas because this is a benefit to members as long as there is no requirement to purchase.
b) We ask that you include your affiliation in your signature, which can include a link to your business website. However, please do not list the products you sell in your signature and we do not allow signatures or posts to read like an ad. Keep font sizes reasonable!
c) Businesses are allowed to post ads in our emporiums like any other supporting member. Ads must be for specific items and must include a price. If you want to post things like having a sale or mentioning new product lines you are making or carrying, or want to let people know that there is a waiting list, such posts should be done in the Builders & Retailers forum area, not in the emporiums. Please read the Emporium rules for additional information.
d) We do not allow businesses to post about their products on threads about competing products or to criticize, compare or make negative comments about competitors.
9. Do not argue with moderators. Moderators are volunteers and have a tough job. Please do not argue with them. If you have a problem and can't work it out with the moderators, you can contact Scott Peterson or Brian Scherzer (administrators) to discuss. Posting that you are upset with a moderator will get you an infraction.
10. Legal threats. If you threaten or insinuate legal action against TGP or its staff, your time on TGP is over. We have no reason to continue to allow someone to be a member who does this.
11. Emporium rules. There is a separate set of rules for the emporiums that are on each emporium area (sticky thread). Read them!
12. We don't delete user accounts. If you get booted or are unhappy with us, donít ask us to delete your account or posts. You joined and posted on your own and weíre too busy to delete your account or posts just because you donít want to be married to us anymore. We get custody after the divorce.
13. The admin manifesto. We put a lot of time, money and effort into making TGP a fun place for the members, but weíre very busy. We realize that we canít make everyone happy, and we donít pretend to. If we reach what we think is an appropriate amount of time trying to work out an issue with you, with no resolution, we may decide that the relationship just isnít working out and we may end it. The admins and moderators donít read every single thread searching for problems. If you see a post that you think violates these rules, click on the ďreport a postĒ icon (looks like a yield sign in the upper right hand corner of every post) and use that to send us an email. Explain whatís wrong in the post and weíll take a look. Please, only report posts that are truly breaking our rules. Have a reasonably thick skin!
SUMMARY: Your membership to TGP is a privilege, not a right. If you donít agree with the rules, you should find a discussion site that better meets your expectations. Although we value every member and want you to be here, if your membership hurts the experience for others, we may choose to suspend or ban you. We reserve the right to suspend or ban any member for any reason, not limited to the above rules.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.