Recent content by Ayrton

1. Ayrton

Is the Kramer Nightswan the only short scale super Strat?

D’Avanzo offers short scale superstrats. Custom built to your taste http://davanzoguitars.com/
  2. Ayrton

New unfinished neck, what grit to start sanding?

Depends on how you plan to finish the neck. Normally just a wipe down with naphtha or mineral spirits is enough. I prefer Watco Danish oil or Tru Oil myself
  3. Ayrton

Klein vs Mare vs Ellis vs Rumpelstilsken vs Rocketfire

There is no “best” unfortunately. You will have to find what works best for you. I have tried most, and my current favorites are Fralin Vintage Hots, Klein 63’s, and Fender 57/62
  4. Ayrton

Less talked about iconic strats

Joe Holmes
  5. Ayrton

Stainless Fret tang-cutting, Cheap Fast and Easy!

The replacement pair AP sent me have a chipped cutter. I tossed them into a drawer and have never used them. I bought the Summit cutters and have used them ever since.
  6. Ayrton

Stainless Fret tang-cutting, Cheap Fast and Easy!

Two things to add; 1) Who sells the Sintoms replacement blades? 2) I have never found someone who could pick out a stainless fret over a nickel one. The very act of refretting a guitar will alter the sound. YMMV
  7. Ayrton

Best strat with a Floyd

http://davanzoguitars.com/guitars
  8. Ayrton

Can anything be done to rejuvenate / darken this rosewood board?

They were both new Allparts necks. I was staining both and took the photo to compare before and after.
  9. Ayrton

Eric Johnson equivalent Strats?

Thanks, the grain lines in the wood give away the quarter sawn. Yeah, string tree was on it. I have several strats, but this one is among my favorites
  10. Ayrton

If I remember correctly, the serial is 00601 (or close to it). The pick guard was wired 3/16/05 and when I emailed Fender about it, they told me serial were not sequential but mine would have been very early. I bought it second hand, but it came with the original sales slip. You can read the...
  11. Ayrton

Mine EJ was built in March of ‘05. Opinions will vary on what is “C” compared to “V”, but no complaints here
  12. Ayrton

FWIW the neck profile is more “C” on the EJ. My ‘50’s Road Worn has a considerably more “V” as did my ‘57RI
  13. Ayrton

What nut belongs on this?

That appears to once had a LSR style nut
  14. Ayrton

Can anything be done to rejuvenate / darken this rosewood board?

Before you use any oil, head over to your local big box store and buy an furniture stain pen in ebony. This is stain, not dye, so it will not turn the wood black. The pen applicator makes it easy to be neat. Let the stain sit for 15-20 minutes and buff. Let dry over night and reapply if you want...