• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by bigtone23

1. bigtone23

What is the purpose of active pickups?

No doubt! Take a player with fantastic touch and skills, put him through a MASSIVE signal chain on large stages all over the world. There really wasn't a better solution than EMGs.
  2. bigtone23

What is the purpose of active pickups?

No doubt! :) I won't slam passives, either. I just wish there was more understanding for EMGs. I got into EMG singles/SPC as a cover guitarist. You don't have to change your guitar nearly as much with that set up (unless you require a dropped standard tuning, etc...). An SA/SPC Strat with a...
  3. bigtone23

Why I went back to Simul-class on my MESA Mark III

Oh, that full on, 4x 6L6 pentode power section on the Purple HRG was amazing. I really love it on my HRG IIA. Girth, depth, tightness. 60W mode was/is just barely a touch less powerful and a touch less girthy. I would prefer a 4 tube pentode/triode setting vs 4x6L6/2x6L6 pentode on those amps.
  4. bigtone23

Price Check-Marshall 30th Anniversary

That's a great cab! $1000 for sure! I used to have the white logo B cab in the later 90s. I remember selling it for $500 (when regular, black used 1960B cabs sold for $350). Looked really nice next to my Silver Jubilee B cab and 73 Orange 4x12". I still have the Orange.
  5. bigtone23

Strat for 600$ budget

#3 Used Fender Player-it's the benchmark of <$1K Strats #2 Used Schecter Nick Johnston. A hot rodded Player, sort of MIM Charvel-y. #1 New Sire S7 Larry Carlton. Played one the other day. It's really killer. It's kind of a more 'traditional' feeling Nick Johnston. Rolled edges on roasted maple...
  6. bigtone23

Mother of toilet seat: Where do you stand?

These are great!
  7. bigtone23

Peavey Patriot USA vs. Fender American Std. P-Bass.

Here's my modded Patriot (I call it RicRiot). Moved the jack to the side, added another SF, 3 way switch and a Hipshot Xtender on the E. Turned a great bass into an outstanding bass.
  8. bigtone23

paul schafer has lost his mind..

Something else touched on here: his band is top notch, first-call NYC studio players. That's exciting in and of itsself. I read that their daily show preparation was very short and not very detailed, there was quite a bit of leaning on past experience and some winging it. That's also very...
  9. bigtone23

Do YOU Pedal Platform - Yes or No?

The majority of the time is using other amps and the grit they generate. I do go pedal platform when rocking my Bassman Ten or Peavey Special 130, as I prefer to use a dedicated drive pedal on those. What's funny is I do it old school, all of my pedals are before the input of the amp, so...
  10. bigtone23

If you are experimenting with DynaComps

I have a 1980 Dyna Comp, bought it in 1990. My settings are always some version of cross-eyes with the Sens way down and Vol way up. I got lucky and someone had already installed a BOSS style barrel jack in it for DC powering. Handy! I also installed a true bypass switch in it to tame the...
  11. bigtone23

Hard Rock Fans - Your Favorite Amps...

83 Mesa SG MKIIC+ combo on top of Marshall 1936. 87 Mesa DRG MKIII Red Stripe head. 97 Marshall DSL50 head (with clipped leg C12 mod). This replaced a long gone '84 2203 I used to have. 98 Mesa Dual Recifier Solo Head (Rev G & EL34).
  12. bigtone23

Is this wiring scheme possible?

The trick is the switch on push/pull pots. You do need 3PDT to do what you want with one switch: a DPDT for series/parallel and a SPDT for splitting. The S-1 switch is a 4PDT and can do it with one press of the switch.
  13. bigtone23

Fender Eric Clapton Blackie wiring question

With a super 5-way, 4 wafer switch, yes.
  14. bigtone23

understanding string gauges

I agree, 45 60 80 105 is more balanced and even across the strings. Oh, do I ever not like 50 70 85 105 flats (like Chromes). The D& G are way too stiff relative to the A & E. When I changed out my Chromes, I bought two sets and made a hybrid, used the 45 65 80 from the lighter set and the 105...
  15. bigtone23

paul schafer has lost his mind..

I dunno, Paul Schafer has always been pretty animated when playing. I think it's just him and the muse at work.
Top Bottom