Recent content by BMX

1. BMX

NAD - Blackstar Artist 15!

Yeah, I think Blackstars must have done weird marketing because nobody I know really knows about them. Also, they made their main ht series seemingly geared toward the metal crowd when I think with a couple of minor changes they would have pulled in a lot of blues and classic rock players. I...
  2. BMX

Blackstar HT50 MKI

Not sure If this will help but I’m going to try swapping a 12ay7 for the 12ax7 for the 2nd channel for my ht 40 mkii. It’s a lower gain tube so should lower the gain,
  3. BMX

So what do y'all think about the Dave Mustaine Gibsons?

I think it’s cool- something different. I’m glad it’s not yet another 50s style sunburst Les Paul.
  4. BMX

Suhr amp for Knopfler tones?

I’d get something with big tubes and a good master volume. Crank the amp up (even with the master) and back the guitar volume down to 3 or 4. Then when you need to (like sustaining notes or dramatic passages) bring the volume on your guitar up a couple of notches. Because the amp is cooking...
  5. BMX

Are recording studios even relevant anymore?

To me it’s all about getting a good drum sound. The only way I know how to do that is in a really good sounding room with high end drums that are tuned well and an engineer who’s used to recording there, knows the gear etc. So I think it’s worth it to get to a real studio that has its own drum...
  6. BMX

Cheap Amps That Sound Good

Blackstar has been my biggest surprise. For some reason I put them into the “Marshall amp but lamer” category. i think the problem is that they have bad stock speakers for blues/classic rock so most people play them and they aren’t that great. But if you put in a decent speaker they really...
  7. BMX

Opinions on Blackstar HT20R Combo?

I have the 40 watt combo which I think is similar, It was like a C+ amp with the original speaker (cel seventy 80). I put in a vintage 30, now it sounds really great. Super fun to play. Yes it can do metal- the second channel has two modes, one is modern, plenty of gain. i think I heard the...
  8. BMX

New Lyle Workman music!

Man, I could watch Abe Laboriel jr. drum all day long...
  9. BMX

Lower efficiency Celestion Vintage 30 (or heavy magnet Celestion/Eminence etc.)

I like the vintage 30 I have in a combo but looking for a less efficient speaker so that is quieter. I like heavy magnet celestion speakers, also open to Eminence, WGS or whatever. I know greenbacks are less efficient but I'm more into H magnets. Any ideas? Would the eminence governor be...
  10. BMX

Is amp distortion overrated ?

Power amp tube distortion is overrated but preamp tube distortion is great. If I was playing stadiums my answer might be different. I’m not a fan of attenuators either- master volume works better for me. Plus it’s one less thing I have to remember/haul to the gig. Also master volume/gain...
  11. BMX

Makin' a Deluxe Reverb Badass

Bring it to a tech to do all necessary maintenance. Replace speaker with a heavy magnet Celestion style speaker (look on Craigslist, doesn’t have to be a Celestion). Turn down the treble and bass, turn up the volume as high as you can take. Maybe use the normal channel. Add a simple pedal...
  12. BMX

Overdrives for Vibrolux

Fulldrive II, Distortion +, or a clean boost as an “always on.”
  13. BMX

When an amp you want is listed on Craigslist but it’s priced too high and seller is “firm”

I didn't give a lot of details because if the seller is on thegearpage I don't want to put them on the spot. I'm also genuinely interested in others opinions (especially people that buy and sell a lot on craigslist) so I don't want to name the amp and then people get into exactly what they...
  14. BMX

When an amp you want is listed on Craigslist but it’s priced too high and seller is “firm”

Aargh! An amp I want was just listed on Craigslist but the seller has priced it too high (IMO). The seller also notes in his ad that the price is “firm” which I have to respect so I didn’t send him a message. I would have offered him $75 less than his listing price so not a huge way off. At...
  15. BMX

New Fender 68 Pro Reverb....

Meh. I have owned played plenty of vintage fenders and boutique versions. One of the best “inspired by” amps was a Tophat Ambassador. 2-6l6s, 50 watts and a wonderful master volume. If I want a vintage style amp I’ll get a current Fender, black panel version. I look to the 68 silver series...