• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by FrankW

1. F

Effect of humidity on speakers

Maybe a stupid question: Does the paper in a speaker get softer when it is stored in a high humid environment? What, if any, would be the change in sound? The reason I am asking: I've got a reissue Jensen P12R from the Nineties which was in a SFDR I bought at that time. I totally hated it and...
  2. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

I find it amazing that among the apparently low total number of amps Simon built, there are so many different models that are all great sounding! I guess that many are custom build one-of-a-kind. Boutique indeed!
  3. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

Same here ..:(
  4. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

Beautiful!!
  5. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

To keep this thread alive a little bit longer, here is a short clip of my Deluxe 50 with a lowly Squier CV Tele:
  6. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

8nthatK, I was wondering the same thing, yet in the other direction. However, the chance for me to see another Kingsley amp to compare mine with is extremely small. I may be the only one to own one in Germany and I only know of one other Kingsley (also a Deluxe 50) in Europe (Italy). Judging...
  7. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

My Deluxe 50 is a relatively simple amp, compared to the Tone Baron. I love to use the second channel, without the additional gain stage. The eq is extremely effectiv, and together with the global tone control, I can adapt the amp to every guitar in my stable. I did a small mod recently to have...
  8. F

The Kingsley Amps Thread

I have been playing a Deluxe 50 as my main amp since 2003. I took the risk and bought it based on the soundclips by Simon and was not disappointed. It is an incredibly versatile amp, as described above. Warm and articulate. I was also chasing the Dumble sound. I played an original Dumble in the...
  9. F

Hollow Body Guitar Test - Gibson ES-335 vs Tokai ES-335 - Boss GT-1000

Both sound good, but unfortunately the pseudo hi-hat ticking sound makes the video almost unlistenable to me.
  10. F

P12Q on steroid?

Thank you zwiefldraader, interesting comparison in the video! Except for the highest gain (which I don't use anyway), I preferred the Alnico. I know, I didn't break in the WGS properly, and yet I doubt it would achieve the almost acoustic presence the lowly P12R reissue brings to the table. I...
  11. F

P12Q on steroid?

Funny you mention the WGS G12A: I just pulled it out of my 5e3 clone and put the Reissue Jensen P12R back in! The WGS sounded much louder, firmer, with no flub in the bass, but unfortunately also without the crisp treble of the Jensen. I'm looking forward to reviews of the BB40.
  12. F

When Gypsy Jazz evolves

Have you heard of Sebastien Giniaux?
  13. F

The Most Valuable Guitar Amp In the World - what is, or what would it be?

The amp Alexander Dumble built for Jimi Hendrix to go along with his Gibson Moderne.
  14. F

When Gypsy Jazz evolves

I love Les doigts de l'homme! Such a badly needed breath of fresh air in this genre! Jim, their previous album "Mumbo Jumbo" was already in this direction, with an accordeonist as special guest. Some songs with "La pompe" others nore eastern-european influenced, or similar to the one posted...
Top Bottom