• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Recent content by Gclef

1. G

Ibanez RG Standard vs. High Performance vs. Iron Label vs. Axion vs. Premium vs. Prestige

The 520qs is the one to get. The mahogany body makes the guitar. It was/is a poor man's rg3120.
  2. G

Laurel vs Ebony fretboard

I was convinced that my inabez as73g was laurel/basswood/meranti. I thought laurel looked like rosewood, and basswood/meranti was not far off maple/mahogany. Then I discovered my guitar was a new old stock '18 and not a '19 Now that I know its rosewood/maple/mahogany, I swear it sounds...
  3. G

Who else is building towards their "final" guitar collection? (Just a few excellent ones to be buried with)

I am close to my "final" collection. I have 9 and can reasonably see adding 3 more. I will sell one or two from there. And who the heck wants a really nice guitar rotting in a box with a decaying body????? I'll have guitars that my family can divvy up between them, and sell off what they...
  4. G

Ibanez RG Standard vs. High Performance vs. Iron Label vs. Axion vs. Premium vs. Prestige

The "x" and the "2" denote the pickup layout (remember, the x20 denotes humbuckers) An x71 would mean it's a hardtail hsh, if they ever made one. M means maple fretboard. Ew means exotic wood Q is quilt, usually F is flame
  5. G

You mean just like prs? 245, 594, etc. The numbering system Ibanez uses actually makes it easier to differentiate where in the lineup you want to spend your money. The letters after differentiate color, woods, and features. RGx20 ==hh X21 = hardtail X50 = hash w/pickguard X60 = hss X70 = hsh...
  6. G

Swapped a vintage Dimarzio Super Distortion to my PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson with out-of-phase wiring, and can't put it down

The super distortion is a kickass pickup. I liked it in everything I tried it in.
  7. G

Lollar Imperials - were they keepers for you?

One would think that a good portion of those that removed imperials did it for GAS reasons
  8. G

Do certain guitar models just not hang right for you when standing using a strap?

I may have not conveyed my thoughts well enough. Sorry. A tele and sg are perfect useable but 335 and strat sit best. Les Paul's are not bad either. Heavy, but they hang well.
  9. G

Thanks! What a great little amp for home use.
  10. G

Les Paul Pickups

I have dimarzio 36th in mine. I really like them. I would also give a set of pearly gates a try if I had another les paul.
  11. G

My three. Rg921, rg520qs, and rg3xxv I like them all, but the 520 is really special. It's one of those forever guitars. The action is still amazing, even after 21 years of playing wear.
  12. G

On-board boost to replace the Fender Clapton boost?

Cutting the volume is the key. The no loss of treble as the volume goes down is nice too.
  13. G

Congrats StevieT!

I've never heard of this guy. He is very entertaining and unique. He puts out a good product in his videos. That takes alot of work and editing. He totally works his persona and the camera/editing to near perfection, as they complement each other very well.
  14. G

Vote for the greatest guitar solo of all time! (Total Guitar Magazine poll)

I read the title and immediately thought of highway star. Child in time is better, but I think the rest of the band adding the slow build up and smooth taper out of the solo really makes it.
  15. G

Guitar Center Goes Bankrupt, Idled by Virus and Slower Sales

Chapter 13 is bankruptcy. Chapter 11 is restructuring. That would mean chapter 14 (if there is one) is out of business. Lol The end. Close the book 14 chapters is a short book!