Recent content by Grenville

1. Grenville

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Yep. I was there for 13+ years, but this kind of thing alerted me that the culture was shifting too far. Sorry, I'm not putting the time and effort into Sunday prep just to effectively be miming. Sadly, it was a symbol that I had become a cypher instead of a valued contributor. I did some sums...
  2. Grenville

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Once I had the livestream mixer ask the MD for electric guitar tracks to be turned up in multitrack. "No, we have an electric guitarist onstage, you don't need EG multitrack too." "But he sounds really thin". No I did not. He just wanted to replace me, unnecessarily, in the livestream mix...
  3. Grenville

Guitar you first really wanted when growing up

When I saw this pic I HAD to get me a Hagstrom... ... er, I mean, a Gibson Firebird VII. I was 15 or 16 at the time, had no idea what a handful that machine would be. Fortunately I got sidetracked by an Ibanez ad: That's more like it. A local store had one in 1976, I played it and loved...
  4. Grenville

Wampler Belle Overdrive

A (No)Belle Epoque, in my book. ;)
  5. Grenville

Wampler Belle Overdrive

To Belle or Nobels, that is the question... er, maybe not. ;)
  6. Grenville

Show your improvised/unconventional pedalboards!

About three years ago I put this little board together using a cheese platter (sans cheese): I put an xlr jack into a small block of wood and wired fly leads to the pedals from that, and using a mic cable run 9v power from a plug pack in a box kept back by the amp. Ultimately, I wasn't...
  7. Grenville

Cold Rolled Steel Trem Blocks = Snake Oil

I currently have a Wilkinson VS100 trem in my 2001 American Series Strat, and yes, direct replacement and no wobble.
  8. Grenville

Cold Rolled Steel Trem Blocks = Snake Oil

My Callaham block with the non-wobble insert did indeed wobble, a bit. Not as much as the standard block did, but it wasn't the cure to wobblyness. I did like what the block did for the guitar's tone though.
  9. Grenville

1987 Esp The mirage??

In the mid-late '80s I had an ESP Mirage Deluxe M-II with two sc-size dual blade pickups and a hb-size dual blade pickup in bridge position. It was a very dark sounding guitar, hard to get it standing out in a mix with a band. I get the impression now that it may have been designed for high...
  10. Grenville

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

I've used a Timmy as always on for the last 12 years or so, and run into it either a D-style pedal (Wampler Euphoria, One Control Golden Acorn, Tomsline Dumbler) or fuzz (Fuzz Face, Tonebender) with very satisfying results. Nobels ODR-1 is nice enough but a bit vanilla. TS types are too...
  11. Grenville

Volume and tone pots

Not really planning to do that with any of the other pots, it was just an experiment I did a few years ago. For your interest, a photo I took of some of the different brands; note the different construction types:
  12. Grenville

Not-so-subtle dig at Jimmy Page - yay or nay?

Not a dig. A tribute.
  13. Grenville

Volume and tone pots

I liked the taper of the PRS branded, Bourns made pot a lot when I first installed it, but they come with a treble bleed attached which affected the midrange in my LP in a weird way when I used it. I removed the treble bleed and the pot taper didn't seem as good. The DiMarzio's are built like...
  14. Grenville

Volume and tone pots

I assume RS, Emerson and Crazyparts TVT ask CTS for custom specs in the same way that Seymour Duncan, VIP and others ask Bourns for custom specs. In other words, they might come from the same manufacturer, but that doesn't mean the specs are identical.
  15. Grenville

Volume and tone pots

Emerson pots are really good, I have no idea where you heard they were flimsy. VIPots are good, RS Superpots have been good in my experience too. If you want a harder turn, maybe give DiMarzio pots (made by CTS) a try. If you want to drive yourself a little bit crazy, I tried three different...