• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Recent content by hasserl

1. hasserl

Between Practice Sessions: Gear On or Off?

I agree with HotBluePlates here. Most common failures happen on start up, just like the light bulb that flashes and then goes dead when you flip the switch. Many, many old tube PA amps used in office buildings and such were turned on the day they were installed and never turned off until 50...
  2. hasserl

Normal channel on tweed Fender farting out?

Due to the design of the Volume control in those amps they tend to respond in the way you describe. They go from nothing to fully engaged very quickly, it's hard to dial in a low volume.
  3. hasserl

Gradual tone stack bypass?

Most tone stack bypass mods simply lift the ground from the mid pot on a Fender style tone stack. If you use a switch it just breaks open the circuit, and the TS is 100% bypassed. If instead of a switch you use a high value potentiometer wired up as a variable resistor it makes the effect...
  4. hasserl

Paul C and Stokes mod

Hey guys, just came across this old thread in a google search. FYI, my old PR with the Stokes mod is still doing fine, with the original power transformer, and it gets quite a bit of use. I regularly put it on the backline of a jam I host, and for 4 hours it hardly gets a rest. Great amp, sounds...
  5. hasserl

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

On another note, I finally got the chance to get my hands inside one of those cheepo Fender Pawnshop Excelsior amps. I've played them a few times and heard others play them, and they are alright, but this is the first time someone brought one to me and said "go for it" regarding mods. It really...
  6. hasserl

Took the Guild Aristocrat to band rehearsal last night. Oh my, I don't think it's going to be going anywhere. It fit in very nicely. Compared to my Les Paul Special I found I was riding the bridge pickup far more, and with the Lester I tend to ride the neck pickup far more. They seemed so...
  7. hasserl

Please let us know when you make the trip. I'd love to meet up with you. Depending on your schedule I'm sure I can work out some opportunities to jam.
  8. hasserl

Nice video, that did sound great, I'm surprised you took it back. The particular JM I was looking at was a Made in Japan model. I played it at a clinic that I attended that was hosted by Tommy H at a boutique store in Santa Ana. We all took turns sitting in with him and John Dominguez on bass...
  9. hasserl

Well that's the thing, with the LP Special and the Dan Dunham CL2 I have on long term loan, I've really got this type of guitar covered already. I don't really need it, but it's so damn lovely. It's definitely not going back to MF, but I don't know yet that I'll keep it. I could sell it and make...
  10. hasserl

When I saw this I logged into MF and went for it, I placed my order and it showed up today, free shipping too don't you know. I unboxed it and was floored with how lovely it is, it really is a beautiful guitar, and light as a feather. Seriously light. I recall seeing these at NAMM, and when I...
  11. hasserl

Hey, not to change the subject, but I'm going to. I played a Japanese Fender Jazzmaster the other day, and had conflicting impressions about it. It sounded awesome, but the neck felt weird, very wide and flat, not very C shaped at all. I was wondering if that is typical of Jazzmaster necks or if...
  12. hasserl

It's a whole different game for the new guys. They make their money off the merch, not off the show.
  13. hasserl

Haha, the local blues society just held their IBC competition, last year it was won by a dude from France, this year it was won by a band out of Brazil. Yes, southern Cal was represented by a Frenchman at the last IBC and will be represented by a Brazillian band at the next one. Something...
  14. hasserl

I've learned not to complain about the local blues scene, because as bad as it may seem to be sometimes, I have to realize how lucky I actually am in this area. I'd just encourage you all to stick with it and not let things get you down. I'm mostly playing acoustic these days, in a duo with a...
  15. hasserl

Speaking of cheap pickups on inexpensive guitars, I bought a used Agile AS820 several years ago for about $300, it came with GFS humbuckers installed. After a quick setup I played that guitar back to back with a friends newish ES335 and it compared very well in both playability and tone, heck...