Recent content by howdy-doo

1. howdy-doo

Does an USA made guitar automatically translate into better "all"?

Not necessarily, but generally speaking if a brand places its factory in the US they also choose to build their higher ticket guitars from there. Yes the higher ticket price is caused by the higher wage in part, however recently (from what I've noticed anyway) it can also be the difference...
  2. howdy-doo

Show me your Les Paul

Picked up a 2020 50s Standard the other day. Very happy with it so far, I've always been a strat guy so this is a bit of a change in course, but I'm liking it!
  3. howdy-doo

Anti-GAS Tri-fecta Poll: The longest you've gone NOT buying, selling or trading gear?

I had a pretty 'bad' year for buying gear. Well actually it was good, but bad buying lots of it... I originally put down 90-180 days, but I got an EJ strat (a bit over a year ago now really), and then bought a Jimmy Page tele last Christmas, which was completely unplanned but I was looking to...
  4. howdy-doo

Gibson neck profiles

Thanks everyone for your replies! All the information is super helpful. I actually found a good deal on a 50s with a returns date in to January after I posted my original post so though to hell with it I'll give it a try. It arrived this morning and so far the neck feel really nice, I think the...
  5. howdy-doo

Gibson neck profiles

Yeah I'm looking at the newer models. Thanks for the information it's definitely something to think about. I actually ended up measuring the depth of my JP tele neck and it's very similar to the slim taper neck, just a bit thicker at the 12th (came out at 0.78 at the 1st, and 0.98 at the 12th!)...
  6. howdy-doo

Gibson neck profiles

Looking for a bit of advice to get some idea of neck profile of the 50s and 60s Les Paul Standards. Currently where I am has a fairly strict lockdown, so if that eases I'll see if I can try some out but it's looking unlikely for a little while. I normally like fairly chunky necks, with the Eric...
  7. howdy-doo

Current Gibson Quality Control

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to ask those that have recently bought (bought blind preferably) a new Gibson and if so what the quality control was like? I'll start by saying that I'm sure the issues of the past are overblown to what it would appear and I really don't want this to turn in to a...
  8. howdy-doo

COVID cancellation: was I being unreasonable

We're going through a pandemic right now, so indoors or out, distanced or not, if you don't feel comfortable gigging again yet then you made the right choice. This goes double if the venue has previously broken the law / guidelines on covid restrictions. At least where I'm from you can get...
  9. howdy-doo

One Really Awesome Expensive Guitar Or A Crap Ton Of $$$Cheap Good Guitars?

I'm gonna assume that the really expensive guitar ticked all the boxes, but this was basically what I did a few years a go. I had around 9 or 10 mid range nice quality guitars, but I decided to sell all but one (which has also since gone) and get one really good guitar, but more expensive...
  10. howdy-doo

Is natural "relic" really possible?

It's definitely still possible to naturally relic guitars (providing they're nitro and not poly) I don't understand the hate, or criticism when talking about nut depths etc though.... that entirely misses the point of pre reliced guitars, it's literally just the same as someone preferring a...
  11. howdy-doo

What’s up with Fender (and general guitar) prices these days?

I've not read much of the thread but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say an increase in wages (I would guess at least for the Mexico staff over that time period) and then add in inflation, maybe import duty on Mexican made products might have gone up too in that time. I am completely guessing...
  12. howdy-doo

Superficial question - what's your favorite strat color?

2 tone sunburst with maple neck is my number one colour-way like my EJ, but I also think sonic / daphne blue (take your pick) with maple (also rosewood to be honest) looks great, and black on rosewood is a great combination too. So that gives me a fair few combinations of colours I can use to...
  13. howdy-doo

Post Malone - Cliffs Of Dover

Great to see him doing something so outside of his normal style of music, kind of sad to see some people don't seem to be able to say anything nice
  14. howdy-doo

Show your teles!

My Jimmy Page Tele. One of the best guitars I've ever played!
  15. howdy-doo

IMHO: Fender is antiquated

What an odd thing to feel the urge to make a topic on. Companies make products to meet a demand, if Fender is the market leader they must be doing something right.

Trending Topics