Recent content by IvIark

1. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

No I don't think there's any heroes apart from the original designers, I'm still more impressed with things that were designed 30 to 50 years ago than virtually any modern day analogue effect, because in truth they were the real pioneers. As I said it isn't about using/cloning/modding a...
  2. I

Why aren't BYOC and other kits more prevalent here?

I was just going to say exactly the same thing. The guys at BYOC are almost certainly better designers than most of the boutique builders who are lusted after, because they've actually designed things.
  3. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

I think Landgraff is just as unimaginative. I don't know whether he claimed the design plaudits for any of his pedals but if he did then he's a bottom feeder too IMO. Circuits are used, tweaked, modded and copied, there are only so many ways to skin a cat, and as the content of these pedals...
  4. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

No not speculative allegations of conspiracy at all. The circuits are cast in stone and tell me everything I need to know. The most likely scenario is the same way it happens every time. That in this very small company the owner and the few people he builds pedals with thought he could make...
  5. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

It's a premise made out of theoretical statements, you're not even arguing the Vermuram response just making things up that could explain it. We don't know how big Vemuram is but I'd be very surprised indeed if it was anything like 40 people, I'd say almost certainly less than 10 and it...
  6. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

I think that's where I differ from a lot of members here. Even assuming I did like John Mayer (I don't), and assuming I naively thought that buying a pedal he endorses would give me his tone. I still wouldn't buy it when I knew the builder was lying to my face. Lying to the people paying his...
  7. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

Yes we know what the outcome will be, and no one will go out of their way to do it because I can't think of anyone who traces pedals who would pay anything like $375 for a Vemuram anything. But we know that sometimes the circuit can be identified without a full trace by just recognising certain...
  8. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

No double standards from me, I think exactly the same about US or European builders doing it, they're all tweakers who just swap values on a breadboard without any ideas of their own. Conversely, what you should ask yourself is why Joyo get universally criticised, and yet current fad companies...
  9. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

No devil's advocate is looking at the argument from the other side, not explaining away a situation with a series of unlikely theoretical explanations. One interesting thing will be when we get the opportunity to see what their other pedals started life as. Because they've set themselves up...
  10. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

Ha, yes you are playing devil's advocate, and stacking the cards utterly in Vemuram's favour in doing so. They're a very small company. As has been said, they're not Motorola or anything even close to that size of company. And you're suggesting incompetence rather than collusion but it's...
  11. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

They denied it on Facebook and deleted any post that made reference to it or asked them questions about it.
  12. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

If that were the case then they could do what Danelectro did and admit they were duped by a dubious employee or "contractor". Lots of companies do it so Vemuram aren't anything unusual, but no one with an iota of intelligence will believe they beat lottery odds and came up independently with...
  13. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

What exactly do you expect in a thread about the Jan Ray fad?
  14. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

True tolerance does make a difference, but those tolerances can cause exactly the same audible differences between two Jan Rays and so can't be held as a tangible measure of difference between two different(ly named) pedals.
  15. I

Is the Jan Ray fad over?

What difference would tantalum or electrolytic make in this circuit? Board layout can affect noise but I don't see what other difference it will make.

Trending Topics