• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Recent content by J-W

1. J

Are PRS DGT stiff playing?

This makes me feel bad that I live in Austin and don't have a signature guitar! :)
  2. J

I know I’m a hack, but who’s posting vids during Covid19?

I did one as I'm using the time to try and learn to play a little better again. Cube life is a drag on time!
  3. J

PRS DG50?

He does play the DG30 at the Saxon. It’s just in a rotation. We occasionally get to see other guitars too. :p
  4. J

PRS DG50?

I’m not up on Two Rock models, so I had to ask a friend of mine. He says he thinks it’s Classic Reverb Signature. I looked quickly for it on YouTube and saw it in the background, but nothing I could make out. He plays it mostly with a DG PRS cab.
  5. J

Eric Johnson Classics: Present and Past tour.

Dave is Dave Scher. One of the great younger Austin players: http://www.davescher.com/
  6. J

PRS DG50?

His Saxon show is one of the best residencies around. But if you’re traveling for it, maybe shoot him an email or something from his website. He rotates amps. He’s been playing a Two Rock at the Saxon lately. My personal favorite of his is when he plays his Jim Kelley.
  7. J

Had a fun amp jam day and Zinky Fender shootout (Prosonic/Tone Master) today

Hi, I've had a tone master since they came out, I picked up a Mark V:35 last year, and am familiar with the various OG Mesas. I've played prosonics in stores, but not long enough to know anything about them or remember :) I jam with a gentlemen often that has a BE and dirty Shirley. They're...
  8. J

Do people come up after gigs to tell you you're the best player around the area?

No. But I live in Austin and I saw Eric Johnson, Roscoe Beck, Carter Arrington, and Kirk Covington in the audience at a show I went to earlier this week, so...
  9. J

Bogner 2x12 Cab: Can you change from Closed to Open back?

I did exactly that. I bought an OS 2x12 from my local dealer, and they ordered the back panels for the open back for me too.
  10. J

Advice for making solos stand out?

To me, as a guy that likes amp drive, the best solution I’ve found is a footswitchable master volume. The folks over at Smart Belle just modded a p-51 with a footswitchable master. It’s amazing to be able to boost both the clean and drive channels by an arbitrary amount. Having a noticeable...
  11. J

New Gibson COO Lee Cheng

This is an interesting development. Lee Cheng is almost a folk hero in the tech world. He doesn't seem like a fit for the rumored Gibson corporate culture. He's a smart guy with common sense. Maybe he can clean things up. Here are some links about his work at Newegg...
  12. J

Headed to Austin

My understanding is that Austin Vintage is now a Collings dealer. And sadly, bass emporium is now more. Fortunately, John Files (bass emporium owner and all around awesome guy) is working with Austin Guitar House.
  13. J

Pensa-Suhr Up for Grabs!

Note that Randall already sold this, and surely isn't expecting a large celebrity price. I haven't seen him in many years, but he's a humble, friendly, and very talented gentleman. I believe he sold this due to his wife's illness. It's a shame he isn't still playing with the skynyrd tribute band...
  14. J

Looking for some other el84 options

This one: http://www.engl-amps.com/cms/index.php?id=37&tx_ddfproducts_pi1[uid]=117&iPhoneBypass=1 It sounds exceptional for a dirty clean, and has good cleaner sounds, and very good drive. It also happens to be cheaper than most of the amps suggested. I use a gig master head when I don't want...
  15. J

Best strat to get for the jimmy herring setup

Yeah, the hands thing is really true, but his ears are just as important. We know that his gear isn't the sole driver of his tone, since he sounds similar on wildly different gear. But the gear matters - he's not playing whatever he can rent cheapest. So the hard part is to try to think and hear...