Recent content by jetlag

1. J

Which ABY has a better buffer; Fulltone True-Path or Radial Switchbone?

I would like to add that I've had both the radial switchbone and bigshot. I didn't like the sound of either of them. I do like the sound and feel of the Kendrick ABC but it has lots of problems - no ground lift, no phase control, construction problems. So I've been following this thread to see...
  2. J

What amp are you matching your es 335 with ?

I'm in the camp that likes pairing 335s with fender amps that contain 10" speakers: BFVR, BFSR and tweed bassman. Depending on room size and amount of grind desired.
  3. J

Most musical Telecaster neck pickup?

Out of this group I have tried 4 of the pickups and would say the stelly was my favorite. It had the best balance of volume attack and eq. Hamel Tall - louder but more scooped Big T - loudest but a bit murky, not the best attack or dynamics Twang King - cool sound but one trick pony. Always...
  4. J

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

I've had really good luck running a TC spark boost in front of tweed amps. Very versatile and reasonably priced if you catch sales. I think I got mine for $90 around xmas time. Treble, bass, gain, volume, clean-mid-fat boost modes.
  5. J

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

I've heard really good things from my amp tech about the newish jupiter 10SC. It's a 25W $59 ceramic 10-inch speaker made for jupiter condensor by WGS. My amp guy has put them in 2 3x10 bandmaster builds with reported success. I haven't heard them but would like to try them. Jupiter sells a...
  6. J

Which ABY has a better buffer; Fulltone True-Path or Radial Switchbone?

I think you made a good decision going with the Fulltone. I had the Radial and never liked the sound of that ABY.
  7. J

Bent Speaker Frame

I have a weber cali - those frames are wimpy as hell and it got bent - I think from shipping. I took it out to the garage and womped on it against the concrete floor and was surprised that it worked. It's not even that close to being true but it sounds okay. I'm just surprised at how light the...
  8. J

West Coast Blues Version 16

Ditto here too.
  9. J

West Coast Jump Blues RI Bassman EQ settings

The rectifier tube thing really helps with bassmans - trying a 5R4G, rebiasing and running some tubes that give it up really help. For new production I would try the small bottle TAD 6L6WGC STRs. When rebiasing make sure you have those 6L6GCs idling at least at 60% of max plate watt dissipation...
  10. J

All you want to know about Fender Pro Reverb!!!!

My first PR was a late 66 with utahs that sounded great - they were about like jensen C12Ps. Overall the amp was lighter than most PRs I've played and was kind of inbetween a vibrolux reverb and pro reverb both in volume and weight. The second BFPR I bought was a 65 that had C12Ns and...
  11. J

Gregg Allman just messing around on his guitar.

Good lord that was magnificant
  12. J

If you ever wanted Keef's amps settings...

Judging by the number of knobs I'd say they are 5F8-A hi power twins.
  13. J

Reduce stickiness of Fender nitro necks in the heat

I followed the advise of a well known F-style guitar builder: scour the neck with white 3M pads (much more gentle than green ones) then dampen a cloth with naptha and rub it down vigorously for as long as you can stand, wipe off and then leave the guitar out of the case. Then repeat this as...
  14. J

Not another Strymon Flint Thread!

I owned a Flint and flipped it in favor of dedicated rev and term pedals. Both of which do their respective job better. I am giving up versatility though. So far 0 regrets.
  15. J

West Coast Blues Version 16

I was into 60s rock in high school (80 - 84) when I started playing guitar. I got into blues when my mentor broke his arm. I filled in for him playing in his blues band so he wouldn't lose the gig when I was 17. They played a lot of T-Birds and Little Walter stuff. That was my introduction to...