• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by =JL=

1. J

Are 1970s strats desirable?

Mine has seen off a long-treasured '63, a few modern Strats and a few high class partscasters. By all measurable standards it's a piece of crap, but it has a bit of magic about it and it's the one I've kept.
  2. J

Anyone know what I mean when I say I like a saxophone-like guitar tone?

I like to dial in my bridge P90 for a kind of blues harp like tone, it's responsive and fun;
  3. J

Treble-Bleed on a Stratocaster

With a Strat I run a couple of leads from the volume pot into the jack socket cavity so I can quickly experiment with values over a few gigs without having to pull the whole scratchplate. Make sure it's taped up and out of the way of the incoming jack. My default is a 330pf cap with no...
  4. J

The blessing of being poor...

Rather than cast any more aspersions on public forum, I'll let you Google each dealer. :)
  5. J

The blessing of being poor...

One of the benefits of being poor is that you can't afford to buy 'vintage' pieces being sold by convicted forgers and handlers of stolen guitars in one of the ads in the OP.
  6. J

The Firebird Thread

Absolutely. I put a Kent Armstrong neck pickup in it, which is a proper Firebird style construction but it overwhelmed the bridge pickup a touch. I eventually put a Mojo (UK) goldfoil in the neck position and that made for a perfectly balanced guitar, both pickups sounding excellent with the...
  7. J

The Firebird Thread

That's exactly right. Luckily as you know, the control cavity is already routed for four pots, although you may want to oval out the existing volume pot hole a touch to move it away from the others. The rest of the job is pretty straightforward, especially as the switch rout and wiring...
  8. J

The Firebird Thread

9. J

Stickers on your guitar

Yeah, why not? You're only 54 years old once...
  10. J

Boss Katana users from a year ago (or so) - where are you now?

I bought a K100 in October 2017 and sold it in January. I tried it at a few gigs and couldn't get it to react dynamically like even a cheap valve amp. It was a fine practice amp, but I don't need a £400 100w practice amp. It died on the new owner about a month ago and got thrown in a dumpster.
  11. J

Decision Time: Two Amps or One? (Is gigging two amps practical?)

I run a pair of identical 20w combos for every gig. They're not running in stereo and only one is miked up. The reason I run two amps is that one alone doesn't give me enough clean headroom, and it also means I have built in backup. I could just use a single louder amp, but the bigger models...
  12. J

Twin for a bedroom amp...am I crazy?

Twins sound fantastic at low volume, their only downside is lack of portability, which you won't have to worry about.
  13. J

2204 style amp options

Having just rebuilt a 1980 2104 (the combo version) and played one for the first time in decades I'd say accept no substitute! I'd forgotten how fantastic they are. The high frequencies have a kind of feathered edge for want of a better term - loads of bite but soft around the edges and never...
  14. J

Blackface Pro Reverb doesn't like Overdrive Pedals

I always keep a Nobel's ODR-1 in my gig bag in case the backline is bright-ish Blackface Fender Reissues, it was the Nashville drive pedal of choice for a reason. You can set it up with pretty much the same tone as when it's switched off, then add the required amount of smooth gain. I never...
Top Bottom