• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recent content by JonSick

1. J

Soldering iron for pickups

I used to be a big Weller guy. Since I went Hakko, I've never gone back. Excellent soldering equipment. Just to note, don't buy the copies off of Ebay (UK), go straight to Dancap. Those plug-in pencil types may get the job done, but they won't do a very nice job of it. While a Hakko is an...
  2. J

Someone hands you a guitar at a social gathering...what do you play?

I just play whatever I want. Usually EVH type licks and the like, just noodle. If anyone wants to hear Wonderwall or "That guns n roses song!", I'll happily hand off to the next guy. I've never learned Wonderwall or Sweet Child Of Mine, tbh I've always hated the idea of crowd pleasing.
  3. J

Gibson Going Heavy? Might Be A Great Business Move

Gibson have been dipping toes into the metal market for a while now. There have been a few 7 string models around over the last decade or so. But frankly all miss the mark in various ways. That is, they just don't play or sound good. I don't think the Explorer was ever meant to be a metal...
  4. J

I still love my JCM 2000 DSL

Everything in the JCM2000 series sounds great. Maybe the TSL60 is an exception, but I have owned all at various points. My favourite is the TSL100 and still is. As for the BIAS drift issue, I've yet to have a JCM2000 that hasn't eventually exhibited the problem and needed remedial work. Maybe I...
  5. J

You favorite guitar brands and a brief description why.

Hyper critical and it's changed over time. So in sort of order: ESP/E-II - Right now, they are the most consistent metal guitar you can buy. I've only come across maybe two in my years that played or sounded really bad. On the whole, great instruments. The only thing lacking is the choices of...
  6. J

Synth Module for Digital Piano

I'm going to double down on a few thing already said. Asking your son to just magically be able to play those synth runs with weighted keys is a big ask. It won't be a pleasurable experience. I know, I've tried it myself, Casio Previa to a module, it just was not very nice. Piano is not synth to...
  7. J

Do any digital hardware synths hold their value?

They do generally lose value, no matter what. It depends if the synth in question still does it for you. E,g, I have a couple of synths that are quite old and thankfully bought way after their heyday. They do a lot for me, I guess not the previous owners. The only synths I have bought new are...
  8. J

Tell me about Fender Japan Stratocasters

I bought a Fender Modern HH strat made in Japan kind of on a whim. It was so good, I bought another one to go along with it.
  9. J

Rare Gibson ethical dilemma, help!

I would mirror the idea of ensuring that her story is real. If you are satisfied then it's up to you. Personally I probably would. However ensure authenticity.
  10. J

Went to buy a Les Paul today. Questions about quality

Les Pauls are just weird. I think most guitars are in fairness but Les Pauls particularly. I think guitarists today are so used to catalogue ordering, basically buy something sight unseen on the assumption that every single one of that model is identical. It isn't. It did take a good while to...
  11. J

Helix HX Effects saves serious money

Hey steady now! This is a big reason I don't buy apple products. The second there's a genuine problem, there's someone to come along to say that YOU'RE the problem! If you're referring to the Hi-Z settings (again it's been six months since I went through that merry-go-round), then yep I've been...
  12. J

Studio One Dissapointment

Just as an aside, a question for the pay per month subs. I've had cause - like I'm sure a few people - to dig out old recordings made a decade ago say and reload them to rescue things like samples, loops, etc, My process has essentially been to reload an old version DAW (maybe sonar 5 or what...
  13. J

Has anyone made the move from Mac back to Windows?

To be honest, I didn't know you could do that on Win10. Excellent. I only have the one IO at the moment anyway. Really, my PC at the moment has all the horsepower I need. I also do trance/industrial type things and can usually have multiple NIKomplete bits running, a bit of Omnisphere, Reaktor...
  14. J

Are electric guitars mostly double tracked?

The guitars themselves were either the E-II Arrow 7 string or the Jackson Broderick Pro 7. Both have EMG 81/85 set up.
  15. J

Has anyone made the move from Mac back to Windows?

I went mac for a while. I had a failure in the OS (it renamed my working folder to null). The support I got from Apple from an in-warranty machine went from laughable to frustrating. I took it to the genius store in the West End. I told them that if they couldn't recover the directory, just...