• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by lpdeluxe

1. L

velvet underground (picture of amp question)

Sterling told me VU tuned down because that allowed them to use heavier gauge strings and still be able to bend them. He used .012s, if I remember correctly. I know he counseled me to use the heaviest strings I could manage.
  2. L

Who builds nice 1x15" cabs?

There were no cone options, only impedance and dome type. I chose 8 ohm for obvious reasons and the aluminum dome for the appearance (I don't push guitar amps to the point that the dome is going to greatly influence the sound).
  3. L

Amp crackle and noise

Don't forget to substitute another instrument cord -- a bad one can crackle, too.
  4. L

Mini humbuckers

That explains why my Les Paul was difficult to adjust.
  5. L

Mini humbuckers

I guess mine had been tinkered with. The mounting screws had nuts soldered to them -- it took me a while to get them where I wanted them. The brass bars were long gone. That was a great sounding guitar, though.
  6. L

Mini humbuckers

Minis mount differently from full-size humbuckers and they can be a pain, because you can't adjust them after you mount them. Here's a pic:
  7. L

Thomastik Infeld flatwounds in Europe?

I'd think they would be available -- they are manufactured in Vienna.
  8. L

Silvertone amps

Here's a pic:
  9. L

Mini humbuckers

The bridge pickup died in my 1970 LP Deluxe. I replaced both with Seymour Duncan SM-1s and it got its old sound back.
  10. L

Silvertone amps

I bought a 1484 in '74 for $40 from the original owner and I still have it. It has a great sound (it took me years to find a pro-level amp that sounded as good). I keep it for sentimental value, but it's too fragile and heavy to gig with. Particle board cabinet, bent aluminum chassis worthless...
  11. L

How do I date a Silverface Dual Showman Reverb?

The Fenders I have looked at have had a date stamped on the chassis.
  12. L

Gretsch Golden years and vice versa

I owned a '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent for a number of years. It was a beautiful guitar...but: 1) peculiar controls, consisting of the volume pots (front, back and master), 3-way switch, and a 3-way tone switch that only allowed preset tones; 2) a really odd neck heel, which made...
  13. L

NGD ES-335 Content

I have a blonde stop tail 335 that I love, but a cherry red one with a Bigsby....=drool=
  14. L

Your thoughts on the Silvertone 1484

I was going to graduate school in Austin when I found my 1484. Sterling Morrison of the Velvet Underground was there at the same time, and I had recently learned to play guitar. I found the Silvertone in the local ad paper: "Guitar amplifier or dish washer -- your choice. $40." The owner had...
  15. L

Your thoughts on the Silvertone 1484

I just found this old thread...which I previously contributed to. Here's a pic:
Top Bottom