• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Recent content by majorledhead

1. majorledhead

Tone King Sky King blowing fuses

Looking for suggestions : I have a Bartel era Tone King Sky King that keeps blowing the 3A slo-blo fuse. I have swapped out ALL the tubes twice with known good or new stock. It takes 3-5 seconds for the fuse to pop. I was running channel 2 on 10 with the mid-bite set about 7, with the...
  2. majorledhead

Official Thead: RIP EVH Eddie Van Halen

Time to pull out the old Kramer Pacer Deluxe for a little Van Tribute. RIP Ed
  3. majorledhead

Whats The Secret To Playing 2 Amps Without Hum?

I use a Radial Tonebone ABY and EbTech Hum-X together on a Fargen Hotmods Pro Jr/ Carr Mercury set up. All the power in the music room runs through a medical grade UPS that cleans and regulates the house power from AC to DC then back to AC through transformers and my pedal board has rechargeable...
  4. majorledhead

Carr, After years I have finally found my ultimate sound.

I'm a Carr guy too. Started with a Slant 6V but it was too much amp for my purposes. Now have a my original Mercury and a new Mercury V. Both are pedal killers and generally just have a cord between them and a guitar. Makes a nice two amp rig with the Original set kinda clean and the V set a...
  5. majorledhead

Top 5 amps

From the current line up: ToneKing SkyKing Reinhardt 18 Carr Mercury V Pre CBS Fender Deluxe Reverb Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12 Honorable mention for my Fargen hot mods Fender Pro jr sitting in a 12” Mathers cab sporting a Celestion blue.
  6. majorledhead

Do you buy guitars that are colors you don't like?

IDK, I prefer a guitar to connect with me sonically and visually so the OCD in my brain doesn’t bleed. Though not a deal breaker, because I do own a “Red” 1967 Gretsch Monkees Rock n Roll model and a 1961 Toska/Supra Thunderstick that looks like it was splattered with rustoleum during a bad acid...
  7. majorledhead

My Strat neck pickup tone is weak!

Strings, Ya gotta crack em and snap em hard, with near reckless abandon to get “that” tone. I just broke an “A” string cracking a wicked prebend about a hour ago, plugged straight into a cranked SkyKing ( clean side on 8 - attenuated 1 notch) . I’m thinking that ballsy singing tone is more from...
  8. majorledhead

Analog Delay with subdivision features.

I picked up a green Vox time machine of craigslist for $35. Has tap, 4 subdivisions and sounds ok, especially for the money.
  9. majorledhead

Mid '60s Guild Electrics, anybody into them?

IMG_0694 by majorledhead posted Mar 12, 2020 at 11:29 PM IMG_1142 by majorledhead posted Mar 12, 2020 at 11:58 PM 1967 Guild Starfire 5 in a rare ebony finish. Sadly, it may hit the emporium soon.
  10. majorledhead

My Strat neck pickup tone is weak!

Not to be smartass, but is your pickup height low?
  11. majorledhead

Amps with both American & British voicing options

I used to have a Carr Slant 6 that would almost get you there, but only at crushing volume levels. Now I have a Tone King Skyking that almost gets you there at both crushing and manageable volume levels. But it all depends on what era of “ British “ you are talking about and if you mean the...
  12. majorledhead

Board slightly longer than nano plus?

I build my own pedaltrain style boards using 1x1 square tube and thin 1/2” electrical strut all the time. Little cutting and welding followed by an epoxy paint job. Customizable and cheap.
  13. majorledhead

OD and Distortion pedals that work well with a Vox?

From what I can remember, a skreddy screwdriver worked great with a Vox.
  14. majorledhead

Help me pick strings for my strat

Not long ago I put D’addario NYXL 9.5 - 44’s on all my 25.5” scale guitars after years of playing 11’s. Great tone and longevity along with a tighter bass response. Not the cheapest, but you seem to get what you pay for.
  15. majorledhead

Boutique Cabs

I bought a 2x10 Tone Tubby cab for $800 way back when they first hit the scene. Still have it. The cab is super resonant and the original HE1s really tame the ice pick treble I was getting from the Fenders and Vox heads I was using back then. Also the tightness of the bass response was and eye...