Recent content by mikesch

1. mikesch

Tyler Guitars......Why won't they do Stainless Steel Frets?

And yet he seems to sell every guitar he can build. I prefer stainless too, but love my Tylers and would rather have a guitar that the builder will stand behind than one they’ll build because it’s marketable. At $5k what’s an eventual $400 fret job if it means that much.
  2. mikesch

Thoughts on Basswood body MIJ Strats?

This. Electric guitar woods were historically selected for availability, price, ease of working, etc. "Tone" was never a primary concern. Millions of great sounding guitars have been built using basswood in the last 40 years. This strat has a good chance of being one of them.
  3. mikesch

Tuners for Floyd Partscaster build

I still put hipshot locking tuners on my guitars with locking nuts because I like having easier string changes.
  4. mikesch

Luthiers: what's on your workbench?

Sometimes I wish I were a bassist. Experimentation and departure from tradition seems to be much better rewarded over there.
  5. mikesch

WTB USA Schecter Nick Johnston Atomic Orange

There’s a used USA version at the San Francisco GC right now apparently. No pics up yet but might be worth a call: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Schecter-Guitar-Research/2019-Usa-7054-Nick-Johnston-Sig-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc?rNtt=Nick%20Johnston&index=8
  6. mikesch

Some of these "relic" jobs are way out of control, IMO.

Or people could just like the way they look even if they know they're not realistic. I know exactly zero people who try to pass their relics off as real vintage guitars. Sunburst Les Pauls look nothing like old violins either, but that doesn't stop people from buying them. Anyone get super...
  7. mikesch

What order do you restring in?

Thin to thick. I really hate changing the unwound strings on non locking tuners so getting to the easy wound ones is kind of a present in the end. This habit has continued through even when most of my guitars have locking tuners.
  8. mikesch

Best of the builders outside the US - who do you recommend?

Claudio Rustignoli in Italy, Corrado Carpinteri in Italy (who does amazing Red Special tributes)
  9. mikesch

Best of the builders outside the US - who do you recommend?

Ted Stevenson in Montreal, Tao in Belgium, Aristides in The Netherlands, Vigier in France, Michael Springer in France (who posts here pretty frequently), Thanakorn in Thailand...
  10. mikesch

Short scale, 24 fret neck on a Superstrat?

Tom Anderson Lil' Angel as others have said. Suhr doesn't do a short scale Modern. Caparison Horus. The Kramer Nightswan is a recent reissue at the cheaper end. The Buddy Blaze Kahuna is what the nightswan was based off of on the boutique side. Ted Stevenson will do 24.75 and he builds great...
  11. mikesch

John Cruz Custom Guitars

Apologies for the lack of clarity. At work everyone's welcome to complain, everything should be equal with HR, and if it's not, there is a problem. I was talking about the broader societal issue about why one form of humor is generally regarded as acceptable and another is not. There's a lot of...
  12. mikesch

The straw that broke my Reverb Shop’s back

I've seen less of what I want show up on Reverb for a while and prices seem to be higher overall, but the market is going to be what the market is going to be. The emporium has always been good, but it's been a bit dry for the sorts of things I've been looking for recently (or I've just bought...
  13. mikesch

John Cruz Custom Guitars

Sometimes it's even more overt than Mad Men, sometimes it's more subtle. I work in tech and there's a huge problem with recruiting and keeping women in technical roles. Which is important for some things, like the health app in the first release of the Apple Watch (I do not work for Apple), not...
  14. mikesch

John Cruz Custom Guitars

The whiteface situation is kind of bizarre and complicated and I agree that on occasion things will go too far. There are some cultural biases around white skin in various communities that need to be navigated around however. But there is a continuum between that and overt racism in the...
  15. mikesch

John Cruz Custom Guitars

I was responding to what I quoted, not the larger matter of Cruz getting fired. Nobody outside of Fender and Cruz knows the full story of what happened so anything talking about any patterns of misconduct is just speculation. He could have been the greatest most generous coworker anyone has ever...