Recent content by msquared

1. msquared

Guilty Pleasures

What you listen to in your teens is always going to have some sort of tribal connection. You're with the metalheads, or the people who like Debbie Gibson, or the bluegrass people, or whatever. It's a lingua franca of this sort of interaction. So when you like something that isn't part of that...
  2. msquared

How utterly amazing Chris Cornell was

I never would have thought of sticking a Marshall JMP and a Mesa Dual Recto together but MAN.
  3. msquared

"We've Shared the stage with..."

"shared the stage with" implies that you were on the same bill as them. When I was in college we went to Minneapolis to play at the Hubert Humphrey Metrodome, which was a venue Metallica also played at some point. This does not mean I shared the stage with Metallica.
  4. msquared

Open back vs closed back cabs...

No, putting your speakers in the corner or against the wall is not essentially making a closed back cab. When you're putting an open back cab in a corner of a room, you're getting "better bass response" because you're forcing a situation where a certain group of frequencies are getting...
  5. msquared

The power amp was my answer.

I do this frequently. I find that if character is lost, it is negligible. It may as well be swapping in different versions of the same make/model/year of that particular amp, some of which "have more character" due to components wearing out or tube differences.
  6. msquared

Yamaha THR amps, still relevant?

If it sounds good, it is good. Opinions on here are like Wikipedia: great starting points for doing deeper research. Remember, there was a time when the Beatles were told that guitar bands were no longer relevant.
  7. msquared

Is it just me, or does it feel like a new era of music is coming?

There is always a new era of music coming and it always has a bunch of throwaway buzzwords attached to it that nobody will remember a couple years later. Someday you'll be middle aged and some kid will take random nouns and stick them together to describe the same music you listened to as a...
  8. msquared

strictly bedroom players ... what digital setup? (Kemper an option?)

I keep my THR10c on my nightstand. I've got much more expansive stuff around the house but that size amp is perfect for noodling before hitting the sack or upon getting up. Bonus points for the headphone jack and aux in. I've gone back and forth with this as a bedtime rig and the strongest...
  9. msquared

Cover bands playing cover songs in different keys

The Girl from Ipanema was originally in G. In Brazil they play it in Db and in America it's done in F. There is a whole turf war over the key this song is played in, apparently.
  10. msquared

I liken Cheap Guitars to Cheap Eyelasses...

World renowned life coach Billy Gibbons will tell you that sometimes the cheap ones are the only choice.
  11. msquared

Your favorite way to reduce beaming and get even sound on stage?

If I am bringing an amp to a gig, I always have a tiltback amp stand. This has been a game changer for me for over 20 years now. I even bring one out if I'm drumming, playing bass, or running sound. Aiming the amp at my head and only turning it up as loud as I need it on stage and letting the...
  12. msquared

Flint V2 - has anyone AB’d them? Worth upgrading?

There are a lot of people throwing a fit about the v2 pedals driving down the value of the v1s, but I look at this as a huge boon to anyone who has wanted to get into one of these without spending a lot of money. The v1 versions of all of these are still outstanding pieces of gear IMO.
  13. msquared

What are your favourite MIDI controllers these days?

Another Morningstar vote. The MC8 is a superb piece of gear, the only problem being that it's turned me into a serious MIDI snob when it comes to pedals.
  14. msquared

Greg Koch Trio - Felton Music Hall August 6, 2022

When you're playing in the Koch-Marshall trio, you almost have to do this at some point. I'm envious that you got to spot him in the wild @karmadave. I've been seeing him post between-show vids on Insta and wishing he was rolling through Kansas.
  15. msquared

Need a drive to compliment my existing drives…

I run into the situation you're describing quite a bit. My go-to pedals for solving this are both by Mythos, the Au79 and the Chupacabra. I use the the Au79 if I need something more trebly and the Chupacabra if I need something more bassy.
Top Bottom