• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Recent content by pipedwho

1. pipedwho

Tom Anderson HF/HC Humbuckers

Yes the hot ones (HF2/HC2) do split well. The magnet design is similar to a traditional humbucker with double slugs and a bar magnet. The H series use a magnet vertically aligned between the coils which is very different to regular pickups. The H series sound more even across the spectrum...
  2. pipedwho

Les Paul with SD Jazz in the neck: what would you put in the bridge?

Duncan 59 for a more traditional sound, or a JB for something more dramatic,
  3. pipedwho

Yes, the HF2 will give both more fatness and output. I have the HF1+ in a Cobra S, and felt the HF2 was a little too much for my liking. It's easy to dial in a little more fatness, but harder to dial it back out. If you like vintage tone, the HF1+ is beautiful, the HF2 is good, but is more for...
  4. pipedwho

The HF2 is a bitter hotter and middier than the HF1+. The HF2 is IMO where these humbucker depart from vintage PAF into something a little more modern (but still with a very PAFish character - unlike the H series which is more modern/hifi across the board). The HF1+ is ideal for a vintage PAF...
  5. pipedwho

Yes, slightly. A HF1+ in the bridge balances nicely with a HF1- in the neck.
  6. pipedwho

The HF1+ is still in the vintage camp without being too shrill in the bridge. HF2 starts to get a bit more into medium/hot territory, the HF3 is even hotter, but neither starts to sound as 'modern' as the H series. HC is basically the same tonally as the HFs.
  7. pipedwho

Anderson Appreciation Thread

It's worth noting that the HC series are covered version of the HF series, not the regular H series. The HF is more of a traditional tone versus the fuller more hifi like tone of the H series. So the HC3 is a covered HF3, and doesn't sound at all like the H3.
  8. pipedwho

Best sounding strat pickups 2020?

Strange. The JuicyBucker in the bridge wasn't that much hotter than the SV5 in the neck. However, the ZV5U is much lower output than the SV5 in the same guitar, and the ZV5 in the bridge matches it well with normal height adjustment. The ZVH5 might be much hotter - I haven't used that one. Also...
  9. pipedwho

It's worth noting that the Z-Series ZV5 and ZVU5 are much lower output than the legacy SV and SVU. I prefer the lower output of the Z-series ZVU5 for true vintage output.
  10. pipedwho

Pickguard change opinions

Yeah, the parchment you've settled with looks much better.
  11. pipedwho

I had a set with the legacy SV5, SV2, JuicyBucker. I also tried the SV5+ instead of the SV5. The SV5 (and the +) were really hot, and were fine for rocking out, but as you say, are a bit hot for the blues clank. The JuicyBucker was sublime for rock, and the SV2 actually worked so well in the...
  12. pipedwho

Absolutely! The M series in the Cobra S have their own unique super fat single coilish tone. I love that sound. And the Crowdster piezo pickup does work through electric guitar amps, but I tend to roll off some of the sizzle at the top to stop it being overemphasised. The Crowdster sounds its...
  13. pipedwho

Me too. :) Purple Anderson Trio by pipedwho posted May 15, 2017 at 8:27 PM
  14. pipedwho

Les Paul Jr Capacitor Upgrade

This is a major consideration when using human test subjects. Especially for critical listening scenarios. The approach we used back in the early days of audio codecs was to weight the results by the 'quality' level of the test subject. We spent a lot of time 'training' test subjects to hear...
  15. pipedwho

Les Paul Jr Capacitor Upgrade

The usual problem with these sort of non-rigorous tests is that the setup is prone to bias. For example, where a capacitor change in a guitar is used, the player's hand technique will alter the output signal and will be heard as a difference by the testers. Also, the capacitor value much be...