• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recent content by Prairie Dawg

1. P

Whoa! Schematic Heaven?!?!

Which new one izzat, Hawkeye?
  2. P

Pignose G40V Power Tranny

Well, you need something that has the right voltage (324 VAC no center tap, full wave bridge) and the right footprint. I suspect something in the Deluxe/Deville family may do the job but you gotta measure for fit and then go shopping.
  3. P

New 5E7 Bandmaster build

I would probably put a zener diode in there and drop that voltage down to a more tolerable level.
  4. P

What is TECHNICALLY better about a high quality output transformer?

Kinda reminds me of a philosophy class I had at a small experimental college in New Hampshire. True story, as best I can remember from the clouds of cannabis that hung over the place. The class trooped in and the professor wrote on the board thus: 1. Do you believe/not believe in the bodily...
  5. P

Ultimately what is desirable in the way of specifications (dimensions, material) can be a matter of disagreement, depending on what your task is conceived to be. The old man was a metallurgist and I never heard the end of it as a kid. :beer
  6. P

That's what I thought you were angling at. :jo Also what is meant by "technically better" is pretty subjective unless you stick to measurable things that are not as subjective as tone and accidents. Show me engineers who agree on anything.:spit
  7. P

High Quality PCB Amplifiers

A lot depends on how well they're made to begin with. A lot of things that present day PCB amps do you can't stuff into a handwired amp but you have to decide if that's what you want to begin with.
  8. P

Tube Test Question

I took a new 6L6 one time and burned it in and tested it for gM on my Hickok. Then, for fun, I measured the needle deflection with a protractor and put the same tube in my cheapie Eico 625 and adjusted the load control for the same deflection. I then proceeded to test a bunch of old 6L6s and...
  9. P

Thinking of buying an assembled kit amp...what to ask the seller?

Mother always said neatness counts. It's a sign of detail oriented-ness that, all other things being equal, points to someone taking the time to do things properly. I've found in my own work that taking the time to be neat and tidy focuses my mind on getting things right. Of course it would be...
  10. P

Horrible amp demos

A lot of times amp demos are really guitarist demos. Best bet is to road test it yourself if you're shopping and see if it suits your style.
  11. P

Weird hum in vintage amp??

If you're used to the sound of a forty five year old amp with 45 year old components nearly any change is going to make it sound stiff and sterile to some folks. That's because that's what it sounded like 45 years ago. Old elytics sag a lot even if they're 'working ok'.