• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Recent content by roverdog

1. R

I kinda wish I could play in a band, ya know?

Post an ad on bulletin board’s in you local music store and your school. You will meet someone! Good luck! Don’t dismiss the idea of being a solo artist. It can be very rewarding singing and playing your own songs in front of people. A different challenge! And you can use backing tracks in...
  2. R

Guitar simulators sounded bad??

I think you have identified your problem, getting your guitar signal into the guitar amp sim. How are you hooking up your guitar to the mixer? How does the mixer interface with the computer? What mixer are you using?
  3. R

How many controls does an amp need?

The older I get the fewer controls my amps have! Now I bring a Champ(and a mic to mic it) to my guitar gigs. It has one knob, volume. I do use pedals in front of it though.
  4. R

Chicago : "Old Days" : Vintage Live Performance

My brother and I both love Chicago, but each of us prefers different eras. My brother is a trumpet player and loves the later stuff. I play bass and guitar and love the earlier Terry Kath stuff. It was great to go see them with my brother!
  5. R

5-10 watt tube amp

I usually use a 57 Champ reissue. Bigger gigs, I put an SM57 in front of it and go through the PA. I do have a couple of other smaller amps, Mesa 5:25 express and Princeton Reverb Reissue, but the Champ can be heard by our drummer and bassist, and is light!
  6. R

improvement in singing and voice quality

Best advice that I have read here is to take lessons. The teacher/coach will teach you all about breathing, tongue position, head alignment, etc. And proper warmup exercises! Have Fun!
  7. R

Les Paul Pick Guards

Pick guard is where my pinky finger rests!
  8. R

Book/course recommendations for long time guitarist to finally dive into music theory?

I like the Dummies series, Music Theory and Music Composition. Not guitar specific though.
  9. R

Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

Used the bread bag things too! Use my fingers for bass so can’t say about the lottery ticket thing.
  10. R

Guitar you first really wanted when growing up

One of three that I have wanted forever, but never had! Other two are a 12string ES-335 like John Phillips played, and a 3/4 size Gibson electric. Did get the rest of the ones I wanted though!
  11. R

Can I apply adt plugin in after recording wet guitar?

Go for it! If you like it, great, if not, easy to remove! There are no rules on using plugins, only suggestions!
  12. R

For Those Who Don't Think The British Invasion Saved Music

I was 9 in 1963 and my parents and grandmother listened to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc on the radio. The very few records they had were soundtracks(Sound of Music) and classical. We also watched all the variety shows on the four TV channels we got, two French and two English. That is how...
  13. R

Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

I don’t mind letting friends play any of my guitars. But my guitars have been through quite a few gigs, so they get the normal scratches, etc, that happen. And they play with a feather while I use what ever is around, pick wise.(anyone else remember shattering a unliked record to make picks)...
  14. R

Lyrics on iPad

I had something called “allmysongs” but no longer works on my iPad. Back to the old way, writing out set lists! And forced me to totally learn the lyrics!