• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by scelerat

1. scelerat

Ugly Amps

Why was that ever a thing? I remember seeing them in the '80s and '90s, thinking, "ugh!" And now I still think "ugh!"
  2. scelerat

Would you buy a Gibson Les Paul with a repaired headstock break?

I have a couple with repaired headstocks. Pro repairs both; they play great and I saved a bundle.
  3. scelerat

Do you currently have a Gibson guitar with a headstock repair

The headstock repair is the mark of authenticity. Of the five in my household, dating to 1957, '68, '70, '74, and '78, two have had headstock repairs. As far as I can tell it makes no difference except for the obviou$
  4. scelerat

What can you tell me about my "new" EVM-12L?

What kind of cab do you have it in? I find the small Mesa 1x12" cabs, Thiele and open back, contribute to that honk and that it diminishes in larger cabs. But yah, those EVM 12Ls have an upper midrange bump from around 1.5kHz to 5kHz OP's clearly got an OEM EVM 12L. I have a bunch of them. They...
  5. scelerat

Expensive guitar owners...

There are only 24 hours in a day. You can sleep, eat, **ck, play games, make art or make money. If you're optimizing for only one thing, other things will languish.
  6. scelerat

Garage Rock or Punk Players What is a great set up for this type of music

There is nothing more punk than anti-punk. Except perhaps anti-anti-punk
  7. scelerat

For sure! I guess I'm just amused by the assumptions that are occasionally implied or expressed in "what's the right gear for punk" threads. Descriptive answers are helpful; it's the prescriptive ones (and those assuming that there is some kind of prescription) I find funny. Was at a very DIY...
  8. scelerat

Obsessing over gear is kind of anti-punk if you ask me. At least publicly ;-) Seeking a consensus prescription for forms which are characterized by an independent, DIY ethos is... well, you figure it out.
  9. scelerat

Are used Mesa boogie combo amps just as reliable as a new one?

I've owned a handful of old boogies and they're all tanks. Some have been sensitive to microphonics, high-volume feedback (not the good kind) but those tend to be earlier designs, '70s and early '80s. Fixable in those instances by using external cabs and/or tube dampers. Later designs had better...
  10. scelerat

What’s your most collectible amp?

Mesa Mark IIC+ Was at a local guitar store shopping for -- I don't remember; straps? cables? -- and just browsing. Noticed an amp on the floor that was concealed underneath a cloth or amp cover. Looked like a mark II combo. Saw the plus on the back. saw the $1000 price tag. Gulped and bought it...
  11. scelerat

The amplifier YOU sold where you got absolutely CHINNED when you remember what you paid for it ?

Worst for me is a Marshall JTM 45 reissue head I bought in ~1999 for $500 used. Sold it about six years later for... $500 cause I hadn't been playing in a band for over a year and needed money to move. Six months later, I'm in a band and want to get the same amp. You know the story... 3x as much...
  12. scelerat

any tips for making new tolex look less shiny, more like mint but 30 years old ?

Post of the year, and it's barely January. Awesome! and fascinating. So as far as amp switching -- youre just manually moving patch cables between bays like an old school switchboard operator?
  13. scelerat

any tips for making new tolex look less shiny, more like mint but 30 years old ?

I suspect just about everyone here is approaching 100 at approximately the same speed (assuming non-accelerating inertial frames)
  14. scelerat

Unrelated but @ProfRhino do you have some kind of switching system for all those amps and heads? Multiple cabs? Just curious. Nice collection!
  15. scelerat

Poll! How many Gibson lawyers will it take to convince Randall Smith to greenlight a dead nuts, bone original IIC+ Reissue??

What's the market for this? A bunch of aging amp snobs who would just trash a reissue on internet forums? The thin ranks of their hapless followers? There's a reason the IIC+ isn't made anymore. It's because the market moved on. Mesa came up with better/more usable designs in response to market...
Top Bottom