Recent content by Somniferous

1. S

Why Live Music Sucks

Most small clubs are not going to have the good soundguys they can't afford them. $100 or less a night does not even buy you a halfway decent soundguy.
  2. S

Can anybody help? Taking a vocal from a wide stereo field to a narrow, center field?

I'm sorry but this is how you should be mixing 100% of the time, anyone that tells you other wise is lying. It's the biggest standout point for an amateur mixers, trying to give focus to everything. Find out what should be the focus at the moment and make it the loudest thing, and lower...
  3. S

"Phasey" sounding OPEN hi-hats via OH mics

Typically in this OH configuration they are place equidistant from the snare to avoid phasing issues.
  4. S

Thoughts on rechargeable batteries for in ear monitor system

The best I've found for AA is Powerex. Last 5-8 hours in the UR series. I've had similar times in other RF gear. If you keep the recharge cycles set right (soft charge for 10 cycles then do a conditioning cycle) they can last a long time. I have yet to find a 9v rechargeable that is reliable...
  5. S

Finally tried "ambient mics" for my IEM system lastnight...

Typically ambient mics just point out into the house and not in towards the stage. That way you get the room reflections/sound and crowd without too much phasing.
  6. S

Alice in Chains vocals?

Very good double tracking + verb and delay.
  7. S

Light Show for Projector

It might work depending upon the stage lighting, typical stage lights put out around 500-750 watts at full power and it's a lot to overtake. A screen onstage will also provide a surface for the stage lights to reflect off of, making it harder for lower lumen projectors to look sharp. On a dim...
  8. S

Light Show for Projector

Typical projectors for live events tend to be in the 10-20k lumen range.
  9. S

How Much Better Would This Sound With a Condenser Mic?

I'm not sure better is the word to use, it would sound different. I think the way it sounds now is great.
  10. S

NHD: Focal Spirit Professional

I never meant to say they are bass shy, they can just appear that way compared to most headphones. The Spirits are not very forgiving for poorly recorded tracks as they present everything clearly. They are the headphones that I trust the most for checking mixes because they are so true sounding...
  11. S

Whatcha using for a live kick drum mic?

Typically use a D6 as that is what is in the mic closet where I usually work. I do like using the Heil PR40 for a more punchy kick and sometimes the PR48 (I've never felt the need to scoop it).
  12. S

NHD: Focal Spirit Professional

I love my set, nice and flat. They did take a good amount of time to burn in, about 2 weeks. They are very honest in their reproduction of the source, which means they can sound bass shy as they lack the normal bass boost most cans have. Very nice transient response as well, but they can get...
  13. S

tracking headphones

I love the sennheiser hd-280 as a great tracking and live sound can. They isolate great for both situations.
  14. S

PA soundcheck song??

Currently, "Love Don't Leave Me Waiting" by Glen Hansard.
  15. S

need help with live voc fx, please

Make a point to talk to sound guy before the gig if you can. And by before I don't mean the day of, I mean at least a day or two out. This will let you talk to them in an environment that is virtually stress free as they don't need figure everything out in the 15-30 minutes before you go on...