Recent content by sonic romp

1. S

2005 ‘62 AVRI Stratocaster: Worth It?

So, after many years away from electric playing, I’m looking at a 2005 (Corona plant) nitro sunburst finish with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups. Refret w larger fret wire less than 5 years ago. I haven’t played it yet; about an hour away. How does a $950 price tag fair for one of these? I’m...
  2. S

12 fret acoustics - why?

I've got to go with aesthetic and sound on the twelve-fretters. I've had a few older Martins and what I have to pitch this: The larger bodied/jumbos (like the D-28S) is a bit dark and the nut, huge. I really like 12-fretters in the smaller-bodied sizes (0/00). Not only do they x-out the...
  3. S

Marc Bolan is Incredible!

Love so much about this guy, but on The Slider, particularly, he really drew a beautiful balance between both acoustic and electric guitar. That's was a big part of his genius.
  4. S

Was "Nothing But Flowers" a shot at Joni Mitchell?

Yeah...check the video for that one. Perhaps JM's last outright jingle-jangle 12-string line.
  5. S

Johnny Marr Signature Jag Out At January 2012 NAMM!

Yep...that and LOTS of Roland Jazz Chorus.
  6. S

Looking for new listening suggestions - alt.country/americana style

Go right to the source and check out the Flying Burrito Brothers.
  7. S

Five most influential Rock albums ON YOU?

Smiths>The Queen is Dead Suede>Suede Neil Young>Tonight's the Night Velvet Underground>Third Album T.Rex>The Slider
  8. S

Why don't I get the White Stripes? Am I alone?

Jack White "...looks like Zorro on doughnuts."
  9. S

Nick McCabe and Si Jones of The Verve have returned: The Black Ships

That's cool to hear, thanks for that! Nick's an original, for sure.
  10. S

Duffy! Seriously!

Nice array of choices of BB's prior stuff. Of course, there's quite a bit more he puts between the 355 & Vox - but you've nailed the essentials in those two.
  11. S

Mark Ribot fans?

That's THE quintessential Ribot + Waits tune for me. Good call!
  12. S

j45....buy it?

Hmm....