• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by The Dirty Tube

1. The Dirty Tube

Atma: Such an Amazing Amp!

Ape simply means to imitate. Ever hear the expression, "Monkey See, Monkey Do?" Obviously, to act "Ape" is a reference to primate behavior, and it's a term that is much older than you are.
  2. The Dirty Tube

When the junk drawer runs dry...

Thanks for these details. My 1966 Pro Reverb came to me with the doghouse cover removed, sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, and screws missing. I purchased a couple screw packs from amprepairparts.com, advertised as direct replacements for vintage blackface and silverface Fenders, but the...
  3. The Dirty Tube

Fenders with Active Pickups... Or, Remember the 90's?!?

Really? Oops, thanks for the correction, then.
  4. The Dirty Tube

Fenders with Active Pickups... Or, Remember the 90's?!?

I first started playing guitar in the early 1990's. I remember active pickups being a really hot item at that time. Basically the late 80's through mid 90's. Numerous music legends endorsed them, and I wonder how much of it was to drive sales, or if these musicians actually preferred them. The...
  5. The Dirty Tube

Super reverb vs pro reverb

The end game here is how similarly these two amps sound, and you're the only person on TGP who can determine how "similar" your two specific amps are for your own application. Circuitry and components are objective, and the theoretical pros and cons of each of these models in their stock state...
  6. The Dirty Tube

1965 Ampeg Gemini G-12 Unboxing Fun - with IDIPA, cigar, and bald spot

Yeah, I had a 1975 SVT, and the 12DW7 tubes had the Magnavox label. If I recall, I believe they were Japanese, as you had stated. The 12AX7 tubes were GE, which I figured were replacements, as the 6550 tubes were also GE but with a 1986 date code, so I assumed a tech with GE products swapped...
  7. The Dirty Tube

1965 Ampeg Gemini G-12 Unboxing Fun - with IDIPA, cigar, and bald spot

The Bugle Boy ECC83 tubes are original. They are not replacements. Amperex ECC83 tubes were standard issue from the mid thru late 1960's Ampegs, and maybe earlier. For having scored 7 Ampegs this year, I would be surprised if you haven't seen others of this era without Amperexes. I've owned 3...
  8. The Dirty Tube

Voltage Reducer To Play Youre Amp Through

That seems like a pretty good deal. Unless you're a die-hard electronics hobbyist, with the cost of parts, time, and effort involved to build one from scratch, the $159.99 price tag of the Amp Preserver is very reasonable.
  9. The Dirty Tube

Bass man transformer in Pro Reverb

Have you tried a solid state rectifier? I experimented with a solid state rectifier in my 66 Pro Reverb. To my ears, it made bass response significantly tighter, and made the amp as a whole a good bit punchier.
  10. The Dirty Tube

Circuit identification

That's a classic rat's nest layout. For decades it was the audio industry standard, and this amp gets closer to the true definition of "point-to-point" wiring than the tag board layouts that came later and primarily used today. Its sloppy appearance is considered undesirable from lead dress...
  11. The Dirty Tube

I'm guessing these loudly humming ANOS 6L6GBs are now worthless?

By "fault" he is suggesting there is a short between the heater and cathode, which yes, would mean one or both are toast. Your DynaQuick should be able to test for shorts, but did you run a shorts test or just a conductance/emissions test? If your tester has a Fuse Lamp, it may or may not be...
  12. The Dirty Tube

I wasn't referring to your personal story (note that I didn't quote that part). I was referring to the [advice] you were giving as it pertains to the context of this thread.
  13. The Dirty Tube

That's lame. Your approach is to blast a perfectly nice pair of vintage tubes above their designed maximum tolerances, so you can replace them when your own folly causes their meltdown? Any vintage tube seller who is generous enough to even offer a warranty is facing a sizable liability in...
  14. The Dirty Tube

Edify me about old Gibson amps.

I've owned two Gibson amps. A 1966 Apollo GA-95 and a 1967 Lancer GA-35. Both were really awful.
  15. The Dirty Tube

Clip Added: 1966 Deluxe Reverb

How legit is it, you ask? I'd have to say that an output transformer dated January 1966 and a power transformer dated October 1967 is a wide time span. I didn't see the choke or reverb driver date codes in that picture gallery, maybe I missed it, but I'd be curious what their dates are. CBS...
Top Bottom