• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by Tim Bowen

1. Tim Bowen

John Legend’s “Rocket Man” Not That Good

Elton's a tough act to follow. Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is top five EJ for me. Quite a few have had a go at it. And listen to Reg in his prime, 1972. Not only superior performance, but superior arrangement. That's Elton. Hard to say for sure without dusting.
  2. Tim Bowen

Has AC/DC ever used an unusual chord?

Let Me Put My Love Into You is the first one that comes to mind. Em.
  3. Tim Bowen

Has AC/DC ever used an unusual chord?

E7#9. Standard rock grab, but I get you.
  4. Tim Bowen

Strawberry Letter #23 !!

I do dig the original Shuggie side a bunch. Might be sacrilege, but I prefer the Brothers Johnson cover if held at gunpoint to choose between the two. Much has to do with the aforementioned stellar Louis Johnson bass track. It happens, preferring a high profile cover to a recording by the...
  5. Tim Bowen

Which keyboard solos for me to learn on guitar next?

Weird. The two main examples I came in to mention have already been referenced. Oh well, I'll run my mouth (type w/ my fingers) about 'em anyway. Right on. Sometimes learning a solo is not just learning a solo, it's opening the door to a useful harmonic concept/device that can serve one well...
  6. Tim Bowen

Strawberry Letter #23 !!

Lee Ritenour on guitar. Awesome track. The late Louis Johnson was the second notable guy to do the slap 'n' pop bass thing after Larry Graham pretty much invented it. And I still think those guys sound the best/smoothest at it.
  7. Tim Bowen

Teaching remotely with only an android phone

Are ZOOM and Skype both related to Instagram? Thoroughly cornfused here, but for anyone keeping a scorecard, I am st00pid.
  8. Tim Bowen

Several attempts and approaches to install ZOOM have been unsuccessful thusfar. I think this is kinda why I wound up coming back to WhatsApp. Not giving up, but taking a break from it!
  9. Tim Bowen

Awesome, thanks! So I can get on with it using an android phone? Off to take a look...
  10. Tim Bowen

Thanks for the reply. Can Zoom be used with an android phone? I hear that the log-in is complicated w/ Zoom, but that it is useful/versatile with things such as switching to other apps, displaying sheet music, etc. Skype is Instagram, correct? I've downloaded Instagram and WhatsApp. Haven't...
  11. Tim Bowen

"Sheltered in place" here, and I wholeheartedly support social distancing. I am a music teacher. I don't own a desktop or laptop computer and have no disposable income toward purchasing such. I have an android phone. That's it. How about WhatsApp? Could I possibly conduct some lessons with...
  12. Tim Bowen

Teachers: private music lessons, social distancing, precautions, logistics

Thanks for the post, and I appreciate what you've said. Not an insistence. I worded it the way I did when I typed the thread because I wanted to get some input and discussion on the physical space aspect of it. If I'd not worded it that way, no discussion of that side of it would / would've...
  13. Tim Bowen

My first two actually showed up today but decided against a lesson before even coming into the studio. Can't say I blame them, they are both in their 70s and the banjo guy has COPD. No sense in screwing around with this noize. Our school is getting cancellations right and left. Buckling up for...
  14. Tim Bowen

That does seem to be the accepted standard du jour, for the time being. Issue on my part is reading charts & notation with my compromised eyesight, but I'll get past that. Students (if anybody actually shows up) will need to turn pages in their books and notebooks for themselves, I suppose. I am...
  15. Tim Bowen

"The Evolution of Grant Green's Funk" and assorted other Grant Green stuff

Just watched this, very insightful. Some tuneage Live w/ Kenny Burrell & Barney Kessell in 1969 Live cover in 1970 of the Don Covay/Steve Cropper tune that was a hit for Steppenwolf from their first record in 1968. The Friday night jazz show on my local NPR station recently played...
Top Bottom